Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th October 2007, 14:14   #16
Team-BHP Support

Trust me , this cant be the car. According to friends in Maruti, the new car will be a looker.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 14:27   #17
BHPian

jeez!! what is maruti doing? i know that the esteem has been there for really long but still, at least it looked better, than this job!

swift : indica :: swift sedan : indigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Esteem really redefined driving comfort in its era. As fellow BHPians said, the car delivered amazing performance in the motorsport sector. It trully does deserve graceful retirement.
yea, it has a very good power to weight ratio in the same class.
blue2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 14:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Oh - So finally Esteem phasing out - SAD !!! It was truly a brilliant car for Indian Standards / Conditions. Also excellent VFM ( Under 5 Lacs !!! ).

Black Esteem still a very good looker.

BTW this new Esteem - enlarged Swift ( as shown in pic above ) is quite ugly !! I think changes will be made to the final car.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 15:00   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
So ugly car gets an ugly boot
How many decades will this last?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Trust me , this cant be the car. According to friends in Maruti, the new car will be a looker.
Leave it!

No matter how many times people point out that the pic is a photoshop job, falls on deaf ears!
But looker or not, will be decided by the people. All the 'sources' said Estilo was going to be a looker too!

Funny thing is that, all those who have called Esteem 'outdated', 'tinny', 'boxy' and all will now start shedding tears for it. (Like Zen and baleno before)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th October 2007 at 15:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 15:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

End of (production) an entire generation of cars actually as someone pointed out - zen, baleno and now esteem. Even in old carb form the esteem was a nifty performer and ever reliable. The esteem was my first car. I played, raced, drank, fled, smoked, bonked, laughed and lived out some of my best years in that car. Happy retirement!
MaserQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 16:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Ill surely miss the esteem. It was India's first true sedan with performance.
speedmiester is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 17:49   #22
BHPian

Gosh I am still holding onto my 10 yr old esteem.....but even now i LOVE it!!!
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 22:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
Gosh I am still holding onto my 10 yr old esteem.....but even now i LOVE it!!!
The same here. The love has only kept growing seeing the newer model cars.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 22:07   #24
BHPian

hey guys,
Could any one please tell me...what happens to the maintainence costs and spare availability once the production is stopped.(one of my friends is considering Esteem over Ikon, just coz spares for esteem are cheaper. But any clues what will happen 3 yrs down the line).
Will esteem 3 yrs doen the line still be as cheap to maintain as it is today?

Regards,
amohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 22:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
hey guys,
Could any one please tell me...what happens to the maintainence costs and spare availability once the production is stopped.(one of my friends is considering Esteem over Ikon, just coz spares for esteem are cheaper. But any clues what will happen 3 yrs down the line).
Will esteem 3 yrs doen the line still be as cheap to maintain as it is today?

Regards,
It will be as cheap if not cheaper to maintain down the years. For one, there are plenty of good spares available for most of maruti cars in your local market other than the MGP. Even if MGP ceases to provide esteem spares, the local market will be there for a very very long time, so there is no need for any insecurity.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 23:00   #26
rks
BANNED

Of all the sedans, the Esteem seems to have the right combination of size, speed, pickup and maneuverability (being relatively small and light) for Indian road conditions. I have never seen an Esteem being pushed hard on the Expressway. But I had a few run-ins with Esteems on the Pune bypass road in heavy traffic. I realized then that the Esteem is a different cup of tea altogether as compared to the bigger, heavier sedans.

Last edited by rks : 7th October 2007 at 23:11.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 23:28   #27
BHPian

Oh well yeah this had to sometime! But there is no doubt, it can still hold a candle in front of all the other cars present now, still makes sense buying one.

Had a second hand esteem for sometime, a carbed one, and it was pretty nice. Sure no doubt, this car is going to be missed. But I think its good its happening. Hopefully we can look forward to even better products in the future. Maruti is revamping themselves!!!
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 00:24   #28

An Obituary

The Maruti Suzuki Esteem. What do I say about it?

I drove an Automatic Esteem (yes auto!) for about a couple of years in Delhi. And it was a pain in the neck. During the early release of this car, a limited number of automatics were released. This was a second-hand buy from a friend of my dad's (Or come to think of it now, not so good a friend)

People primarily buy these for the one thing suzuki doesn't cease to flaunt, i.e. the fuel economy. And my esteem kind of underplayed in that department. 7Kpl. Yes, thats as much as a Mercedes S 350.

Sure it was old, had a broken front axle, pathetic sluggish automatic gearbox, doors barely holding on to the hinges, but i loved it. It was one of my first ever cars. And as much i expected it to die in the middle of the highway every time i crossed 30, it never did. But finally the inevitable happened and the reaper came looking for it, though much after i had abandoned it and it was kept unstirred for more than a year.

Finally my esteem is somewhere up there in the heavens and i know its looking below and gloating as i break down at every odd corner in my Daewoo Cielo.

Ashes to ahses, dust to dust.

Thanks MarutiUdyog but, don't EVER do that again.
vinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 00:43   #29
BHPian

Its sad that esteem is being discontinued. i dont understand why do companies have to discontnue their successful models like toyota discontnued Qualis and lost customers(BPO buyers).

If the logic is they dont want competition from their own car then thats not a good logic since there would still be ALL cars minus Esteem to compete against them!!
compenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 01:35   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Its sad that esteem is being discontinued. i dont understand why do companies have to discontnue their successful models like toyota discontnued Qualis and lost customers(BPO buyers).

If the logic is they dont want competition from their own car then thats not a good logic since there would still be ALL cars minus Esteem to compete against them!!
Its the technological development and cost effective ways to produce an upgraded product. If they can produce a better car for the same market, whats the point in continuing the old inferior one, who will buy it?
vinee is offline   Reply With Quote