Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2007, 12:45   #151
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I went thru this entire thread, and many TD's done by different bhpians on 2.2 on other threads and have arrived to NO proper conclusion on which one 2.2 or 3.0

Posts from different bhpians TDing and comparing the 2.2 with the 3.0 start like the 2.2 is good in performance, interior, comfort blah blah and then with 3.0 as being better in 3rd 4th 5th above 100kmph, straightline, bodyroll etc etc and
overall stating the 2.2 is better

Now can we Tbhpians have some straight facts if its a comparison between 3.0 & 2.2 on
1) Engine Performance (breakdowns or engineering point of view) how stressful does the engine feel at 90 100 110 and above. Best Cruising speed range.
2) NVH
3) FE
4) 0-100
5) 100-0
6) Handling
7) any more info
Along with being an auto-enthusiast, I work with TATA Motors, and would like to share a few facts about the Safari 2.2
The 2.2 litre engine is a new-generation engine which was developed from scratch with special care being taken to mate it perfectly with the drive-train. consequently, althought the power and torque have gone, up the performance is more refined rather than raw.

Take the torque for example, the 320 Nm torque is now available over a wider rpm band (1700 rpm to 2700 rpm). what this translates into is uninterrupted pulling power over wider driving conditions.

Another important aspect is the new turbocharger technology (notice the VTT in the name). This Variable turbine technology does away with the "Turbo-lag" which is the bane of many a turbocharged engine.

I strongly suggest that anyone considering purchasing a SUV should definitely test-drive the new Safari DiCOR 2.2 VTT
something experiences speak more than a 1000 words.
TATA.Safari2.2 is offline  
Old 15th November 2007, 13:08   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Welcome to the forum of safari lovers and its good to hear some comments from the professionals within TATA.

TS2.2, why are we missing that turbo whistle sound in this VTT ??, any reasons or was it intentional/technology advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATA.Safari2.2 View Post
Along with being an auto-enthusiast, I work with TATA Motors, and would like to share a few facts about the Safari 2.2
The 2.2 litre engine is a new-generation engine which was developed from scratch with special care being taken to mate it perfectly with the drive-train. consequently, althought the power and torque have gone, up the performance is more refined rather than raw.

Take the torque for example, the 320 Nm torque is now available over a wider rpm band (1700 rpm to 2700 rpm). what this translates into is uninterrupted pulling power over wider driving conditions.

Another important aspect is the new turbocharger technology (notice the VTT in the name). This Variable turbine technology does away with the "Turbo-lag" which is the bane of many a turbocharged engine.

I strongly suggest that anyone considering purchasing a SUV should definitely test-drive the new Safari DiCOR 2.2 VTT
something experiences speak more than a 1000 words.
dadu is offline  
Old 16th November 2007, 12:24   #153
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Safari 2.2

Hi ,

I got my Safari 2.2 last wednesday and done 1443Kms in that 1000Km on Highway , Chennai to Coimbatore and back.

Now the vehicle is given for first service with 23 problems listed and given in detail.I have emailed a detailed list of issues i faced ,yet to get a reply from Tata motors for my email.

The funny thing i noticed is , the contact us link is not working in the DICOR website and also the comments listed is old dating 2005.
New user is offline  
Old 16th November 2007, 13:07   #154
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Hi New User, why don't you start a new thread with your 23 problems in the initial ownership section?
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 18th November 2007, 18:48   #155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 176
Thanked: 130 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATA.Safari2.2 View Post
something experiences speak more than a 1000 words.
Hello TATA Safari2.2,
If your last line is really true, then I can tell with confidence that 3.0 is a classic when compared to 2.2. The 2.2 is better - I agree to disagree
power ranger is offline  
Old 20th November 2007, 14:55   #156
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Welcome to the forum of safari lovers and its good to hear some comments from the professionals within TATA.

TS2.2, why are we missing that turbo whistle sound in this VTT ??, any reasons or was it intentional/technology advances.


Brother there is no such thing as Turbo whistle but earlier in 3 L turbo used to start at 2000 rpm so there must be some turbo starts noise, VTT is variable turbine and its always ON so it gradually increases the air supply with rpm rise.
sam2savvy is offline  
Old 20th November 2007, 16:15   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2savvy View Post
Brother there is no such thing as Turbo whistle but earlier in 3 L turbo used to start at 2000 rpm so there must be some turbo starts noise, VTT is variable turbine and its always ON so it gradually increases the air supply with rpm rise.
Brother how sure are you of your facts? Never heard of a turbo starting at 2000 rpm, LOL.
anupmathur is offline  
Old 20th November 2007, 18:34   #158
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,761
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2savvy View Post
Brother there is no such thing as Turbo whistle but earlier in 3 L turbo used to start at 2000 rpm so there must be some turbo starts noise, VTT is variable turbine and its always ON so it gradually increases the air supply with rpm rise.
there isnt a whistle but there is a noise. and it is slightly high pitched.
Akshay1234 is online now  
Old 21st November 2007, 15:31   #159
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Someone from M&M once told me that in Scorpio the tubo kicks-in at 1800-2000 RPM..

Could you explain in detail your statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Brother how sure are you of your facts? Never heard of a turbo starting at 2000 rpm, LOL.
gd1418 is offline  
Old 21st November 2007, 15:42   #160
BHPian
 
mtnrajdeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 648
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

A turbo starts spinning from the time the there is flow of exhaust gasses i.e, right from the time the engine is started. We feel the effect of the turbo only after certain rpm because the turbo will reach the minimum rpm to provide enough boost only after that rpm. In a VTT, the turbo adjusts its vanes to provide enough boost at lower rpms as well.
mtnrajdeep is offline  
Old 23rd November 2007, 18:06   #161
Senior - BHPian
 
humyum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Leicester/Mumbai
Posts: 2,306
Thanked: 2,188 Times
Default

Read this report on the internet about a safari dicor so i tought i ll post the link and i ll be an interesting read.
Urban In Nature; Taking On Urban Characteristics: TATA Safari Dicor - A Bag Full of Woes
humyum is offline  
Old 23rd November 2007, 20:09   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

I have read this review in mouthshut too, his whole CRDI assembly failed(injectors, sensors etc) leaving him stranded for hours, but as I say its machinery and can fail you, its one of the problems with TATA, QC. Unfortunate but probably a one-off case.

The surprising part was that they failed for 3.0ltr DICOR as his buy is of May 2007, 3.0ltr is a tested machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Read this report on the internet about a safari dicor so i tought i ll post the link and i ll be an interesting read.
Urban In Nature; Taking On Urban Characteristics: TATA Safari Dicor - A Bag Full of Woes

Last edited by dadu : 23rd November 2007 at 20:16.
dadu is offline  
Old 23rd November 2007, 21:55   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
but as I say its machinery and can fail you, its one of the problems with TATA, QC. Unfortunate but probably a one-off case.
How wonderfully trivial you make it sound! There is something a little amiss here. And it is not a one off case. I have many more noted.
anupmathur is offline  
Old 23rd November 2007, 23:54   #164
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Whenever you buy a vehicle, there is some chance that it may be a lemon. the vehicle may be Hyundai, Toyota or Honda too. But when you buy a Tata or a Mahindra the chances of getting lemonade, and that too with salt to rub on your wounds, go up manifold
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 24th November 2007, 02:55   #165
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,452 Times
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Whenever you buy a vehicle, there is some chance that it may be a lemon. the vehicle may be Hyundai, Toyota or Honda too. But when you buy a Tata or a Mahindra the chances of getting lemonade, and that too with salt to rub on your wounds, go up manifold
So basically what do you recommend? Hero Cycles?

Seriously, coming to tbhp makes one feel utterly dissatisfied with one's own car - and reads about a couple or so solid screwups in almost every brand's car. Tata of course, leads from the front - but only due to their service. The engines are good enough. The rest comes free, and looks the part
phamilyman is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Economic Bubbles - Why they form and why they burst ? DCEite Shifting gears 49 20th October 2008 16:04
Why oh why do we have girlfriends ? Sam Kapasi In-Car Entertainment 71 26th June 2006 16:12
Why Diesel,why no CNG ?? tanishq The Indian Car Scene 4 15th May 2006 22:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks