Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2007, 11:57   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default Just the facts, okay?

You guys are really cluttering up this thread with a lot of idle speculation and Mahindra-Tata polemics. It makes for dreary reading. The facts, equipment options and prices, will be known soon enough.

My question, is this new 2.2L engine really new or has it been tried and tested internationally? I am thinking of buying a 2008 but I really do not want the 2.2L if it is REALLY new.
DirtyDan is online now  
Old 8th November 2007, 12:48   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Yep! its new, developed in collaboration with AVL of Austria on a fresh engine block.

They would have done their own inhouse testing, its yet to be launched by M&M, safari 2.2 is already out (same by AVL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
My question, is this new 2.2L engine really new or has it been tried and tested internationally? I am thinking of buying a 2008 but I really do not want the 2.2L if it is REALLY new.
dadu is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 12:52   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 886
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

I am waiting , waiting and keeping fingers crossed. No matter what but they must give lumbar support and driver seat height adjustment and seat belt height adjustment options. Hope someone at M&M is also tracking TBHP for inputs. Hello there! few prospective customers are ready with their cheques - mine is ready - if you have an auto tranny too! Please.
shatrughna is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 13:03   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You guys are really cluttering up this thread with a lot of idle speculation and Mahindra-Tata polemics. It makes for dreary reading. The facts, equipment options and prices, will be known soon enough.
No offense but maybe you need to pick up a bestseller instead if you want excitement.

IMHO, any thread about a vehicle that has not been launched yet would, in the most part, be a lot of speculation. So what's with the "cluttering" etc

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2007 at 23:17.
suman is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 14:23   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
DirtyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dharamsala
Posts: 1,798
Thanked: 745 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yep! its new, developed in collaboration with AVL of Austria on a fresh engine block.
Thanks for this very USEFUL bit of information, Dadu. It is hard to believe that they are going to save so much weight going from 2.6L to 2.2L that it would dramatically effect the handling as some people have claimed. There may be other reasons in addition to weight saving as well for going to the smaller engine, 'ay?
DirtyDan is online now  
Old 8th November 2007, 15:39   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Because when a company says "Pay 25K extra and get ABS and Airbags" people ask why?
Same thing here. For 20-25K more Mahindra will give cruise control. Simple. Those who ask "why" will take a lower spec model.
Considering the sales volumes of scorpio(more than twice that of safari) and cost of production(definitely less than safari) its not unthinkable that a slightly higher spec model of Mahindra costs less than the similar stuff in safari.
In anycase I think the cruise control would be an option for the automatic model (in case they are planning an automatic version) because I see little for cruise control on a manual gearbox car.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 15:50   #37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: strasbourg, france
Posts: 16
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
In anycase I think the cruise control would be an option for the automatic model (in case they are planning an automatic version) because I see little for cruise control on a manual gearbox car.
Actually it depends on the efficiency of the engine. I have a VW passat with manual gearbox & cruise control, and on highways it is really great.
That said, if the ratio power/weight of the scorpio is too low and forces the driver to constantly change gears, obviously cruise control is useless.
Batla is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 17:34   #38
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: India
Posts: 360
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
has poor space
This is a problem that they should have attempted to fix by going to longer wheelbase (good for stability too, all things being equal). Perhaps one has some unfair expectations, but feeling cramped inside a SUV is not good.
But looks like they do not have the will or funds for an all new design.

The new engine should be good, but is it iron block or AL-alloy? What about the head?

Hyundai really should make some SUV/MUV for this segment to show these people how a proper vehicle is supposed to be designed and manufactured.

PS: I think we'll have to wait for public release before some people to post the Mahindra salespitch on TTAC as 'article'. Just like the last time!
SuperSyn is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 17:39   #39
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
There may be other reasons in addition to weight saving as well for going to the smaller engine, 'ay?
One major reason is ever tightening pollution norms. The current 2.6 CRDe engine is good for Bhatrat Stage 3 . As the new engine is supposed to be used in export markets as well, It had to be Euro iv compliant or more, which the Eagle is supposed to be. It is also supposed to be atleast 10% more fuel efficient compared to the current 2.6 . The weight reduction is a bonus IMO.
w 12 is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 18:02   #40
BHPian
 
ranc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Lost somewhere on the Leh Manali hway
Posts: 516
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
In anycase I think the cruise control would be an option for the automatic model (in case they are planning an automatic version) because I see little for cruise control on a manual gearbox car.

Extreme cruise control is always on an automatic, do you want the car to do 100 + on 1st gear if you have set it on 100 and dont change gears.
ranc is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 18:13   #41
HSV
BHPian
 
HSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Extreme cruise control is always on an automatic, do you want the car to do 100 + on 1st gear if you have set it on 100 and dont change gears.
Hey Ranc, I agree that cruise control makes MORE SENSE on an automatic, however I disagree when you say that its ONLY for an automatic.

I've seen it on many M/T cars during my stint overseas. Not only that the Skoda RS here which is a M/T has it too.

regards
HSV is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 18:37   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
vkochar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi / Agra / London
Posts: 2,031
Thanked: 214 Times
Default

Very nice find - I think these are the first pics available of the 2.2 Eagle.

I am a little dissapointed as it seems that the Exteriors remain almost unchanged. I wish they could have done some changes. But nevertheless Scorpio remains a stunner and a good looking vehicle as always.

I also hope the Bonet Scoop is now a working one !!
vkochar is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 19:31   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Extreme cruise control is always on an automatic, do you want the car to do 100 + on 1st gear if you have set it on 100 and dont change gears.
Why would someone expect his/her car to do 100 kmph in first gear and not change gear, just because he/she has cruise control? Come on man.... you could have thought something better, not just replied for the sake of it.
If you read my post again, I wanted to imply if the cruise control thing is true then mahindra might as well be thinking about an automatic too, as someone speculated on it.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 21:11   #44
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,151
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You guys are really cluttering up this thread with a lot of idle speculation and Mahindra-Tata polemics. It makes for dreary reading. The facts, equipment options and prices, will be known soon enough.

My question, is this new 2.2L engine really new or has it been tried and tested internationally? I am thinking of buying a 2008 but I really do not want the 2.2L if it is REALLY new.
as far as i know, the 2.2 has already been launched internationally. and why not buy the 2.2 if its new ?! the first gen 2.6 non-crde version had a superb engine, and i have 2 friends who still own them. they still go like stink, and still feel rock solid after doing 1.5 lac+ kms.

i drive a second gen 2.6 non-crde and i can vouch for the engine. i have had absolutely no problems with the vehicle till date, just routine maintenance.

what i'm saying basically is, i dont think you'll be a test mule for the new engine. you will not be part of an 'evolution' like the tata vehicles at least. going by history, the scorpio has had a superb engine that no competition has been able to shake.
NIP is offline  
Old 8th November 2007, 21:20   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

On the safari 2.2 it saved apprx 100kgs on a 4x2, slightly less for the 4x4. As mentioned earlier, it also helps in conforming to EuroIV norms and more fuel efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Thanks for this very USEFUL bit of information, Dadu. It is hard to believe that they are going to save so much weight going from 2.6L to 2.2L that it would dramatically effect the handling as some people have claimed. There may be other reasons in addition to weight saving as well for going to the smaller engine, 'ay?
Its the same for both M&M and TATA, no major changes in the body design, perhaps they are waiting for this engine to settle down and then come out with a completely new vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I am a little dissapointed as it seems that the Exteriors remain almost unchanged. I wish they could have done some changes. But nevertheless Scorpio remains a stunner and a good looking vehicle as always.

I also hope the Bonet Scoop is now a working one !!
dadu is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra Scorpio's Photos - Scorpio Xtreme hotkar Modifications & Accessories 35 3rd March 2012 23:43
Nissan Qazana (2010): new spy photos classiccars The International Automotive Scene 2 29th January 2010 09:04
BMW M7 Spy Photos Caught for First Time? hanmust The International Automotive Scene 17 20th July 2009 03:04
Audi Q7 SUV Spy Photos vinaykiran79 The International Automotive Scene 6 9th February 2008 06:14
Audi R8 Supercar Spy Photos 1Day The International Automotive Scene 1 3rd February 2006 07:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks