Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st November 2007, 10:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Well, as far as marketing is concerned, I have noticed the same passive attitude even in Saudi Arabia, which is a huge market for automobiles... Toyota dominating 90% of the car segments and SUVs, the bigger family SUVs are mostly SUBURBANS from GMC.
But, as GSHA points out, those who buy Mitsu's have their own pride and class. In other coutries in Gulf, its tough and equal competition and all Japanese cars (Toyota, Nissan, MIitsu and Mazda) make almost at the same numbers.
I am really surprised why Mazda didnt try Indian market.. If they bring in those Mazda-3 and Mazda-6 they can wrap up quite a size of the local markets. Sleek and powerful cars they are...
RajaTaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 11:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

I guess for Mitsu to have a bright future in India, they should launch a "small" car probably the Colt or the "i" car? and a mid size sedan (not the old lancer in any disguise)in the price range of 5-8 lakhs. This way people would start thinking about Mitsu atleast other than the Pajero and Lancer.

OT: we know about the Cedia. On the other hand, how many people in the market who plan to buy a car in the D segment actually know about the Cedia? Not too many advts, no good dealer network and many more probs in the supply chain. IMHO, they should seriously dump HM and start a JV with errr....Reliance??? (I ain't a reliance employee or a stock holder but since they are coming up big time all over india, there is no harm in considering them!)
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 11:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Marketing and advertising means money even for a great product. The problem is that so far in India, Mitsubishi in India does not have the brand pull and thus needs to spend to create a buzz. What should they do?. Spend crores and hope to recover that from improved sales, or do not spend much and get whatever they can.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 11:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Marketing and advertising means money even for a great product. The problem is that so far in India, Mitsubishi in India does not have the brand pull and thus needs to spend to create a buzz. What should they do?. Spend crores and hope to recover that from improved sales, or do not spend much and get whatever they can.
Isn't that the reason why I suggested that they better start a JV with Reliance who can give them space, money and publicity. when they can advt a 700 rs cellphone, I am sure they can do it for a great product as well.

Only if wishes were horses, Mitsu has a great future in India
Old 21st November 2007, 12:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Isn't that the reason why I suggested that they better start a JV with Reliance who can give them space, money and publicity.
Fine for Mitsubishi, but does reliance want that!.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 13:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Fine for Mitsubishi, but does reliance want that!.
Let me ask Anil/Mukesh. Will keep everyone posted
Old 21st November 2007, 13:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well, If Reliance is to market Cedia, the cedia will come with 10 inch tires, 1 liter engine and 50 bhp power and costing 1 Lakh, with all the sophisticated gadgets you could think of, and you just use and throw within a year... (As it would be built only to last one year..)
That would give Reliance a volume of 1 Million cars per year and will beat every T/D/H in the market and become Numero Uno car seller of this country within 1 year....
Old 21st November 2007, 13:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
will beat every T/D/H in the market and become Numero Uno car seller of this country within 1 year....
And T/D/H means...?
twnty Char!
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 13:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Me: When is the new Lancer coming to India?
SM: 2009 ( )! It will be sold alongside the Cedia.
Hmmmmm...I won't be surprised if 3 generations of the same car is sold alongside each other !! We can probably name them INDIAN EVO -1, EVO 0 and EOV +1 respectively .

Also, 2009 launch mean it will be an 2 year OLD Lancer model, not a new one by any stretch.

Last edited by spadival : 21st November 2007 at 13:53.
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 16:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

T/D/H... Mhmm. I thought in this world of abbreviations (OMG, IMHO etc. etc.), people would know.. Anyway, its now open for guessing..

Help.. Someone..???
Old 21st November 2007, 17:03   #26
BHPian

Let me guess..Tom, Dick,Harry?!!
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2007, 17:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

BINGO.. Yes Its. Tom Dick and Harry. Thanks for the help Abhi...
Old 22nd November 2007, 07:17   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubht Mitsubishi will be able to survive in India and it is only a matter of time before they pack up and leave. The primary reason is that they have tied up with Hindustan Motors. Most moronnic senior managers at Hindustan motors grew selling one model i.e amby when the only competition if anything at all was the fiat. They don't have the skills to compete in the current Indian scene. Most Indian and Foreign manufactures will eat their lunch.

case in point is the 2.8 pajero. I always loved the car and always wanted one. when they finally launch it, it was upward of 20 lacks and it came with steel wheels and no abs etc. Pajero is a great car, but now it is playing in a crowded field with major competition and just the name pajero is no longer enough to sell the suv.

Look at the hair-brained paint scheme they came up with? Only some moron product manager at Hindustan motors could think of this. 20 lakh SUV painted like some guy modifying a maruti 800 on a budget.

Mitsubishi Motors India
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
crowded field with major competition and just the name pajero is no longer enough to sell the suv.
I disagree. I encourage you to take a look at the sales numbers for Pajero. It is selling more than GV and its sales for 2007 is considerably higher (in percentage terms) compared to 2006.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 10:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I seriously doubt whther HM has any input at all into marketing any Mitsu cars!

I feel that the moronic senior managers only execute plans made by MM Japan's moronic marketing staff .

We must blame the RIGHT morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I doubht Mitsubishi will be able to survive in India and it is only a matter of time before they pack up and leave. The primary reason is that they have tied up with Hindustan Motors. Most moronnic senior managers at Hindustan motors grew selling one model i.e amby when the only competition if anything at all was the fiat. They don't have the skills to compete in the current Indian scene. Most Indian and Foreign manufactures will eat their lunch.

case in point is the 2.8 pajero. I always loved the car and always wanted one. when they finally launch it, it was upward of 20 lacks and it came with steel wheels and no abs etc. Pajero is a great car, but now it is playing in a crowded field with major competition and just the name pajero is no longer enough to sell the suv.

Look at the hair-brained paint scheme they came up with? Only some moron product manager at Hindustan motors could think of this. 20 lakh SUV painted like some guy modifying a maruti 800 on a budget.

Mitsubishi Motors India
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote