Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd November 2007, 09:06   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, I have another suggestion that the government will love (and half the tbhpians will kill me for):
TOLL ALL the public roads. Charge by gross vehicle weight and INVERSE of the number of passengers.

Logic?
a. If a single man is in a car, he is hogging the road, while causing as much pollution - which HE needs to pay for. Why should someone cycling to work do that (btw, saw a dude cycling to work in mahipalpur the other day - almost like firangs do - completely kitted!!). The road is a public good, meant to be shared. The more people in the car, the more EFFICIENT the utilization of the road. So a bus/truck would go free, the one man cars tolled heavily.

b. The heavier the vehicle/the bigger, the more space of the road it occupies - the more it needs to pay for.

The very next day we'll see car pools rushing at 60 kph instead of MG Road being choked with single person cars!! Brickbats?

I don't foresee any bouquets!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:34   #32
Team-BHP Support

Great suggestion. A small problem though. How should a man without a car pool go to office. Walk. Or on 4 shoulders after he has died because he could not balance himself hanging on the floorboard of a blueline?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 09:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI
Contrary to popular belief, diesel isn't subsidised in India. It's just that petrol is grossly overpriced causing people to wrongly conclude that diesel is subsidised.
Un-refined oil prices of diesel is higher than petrol.
In India, Diesel is less taxed.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:26   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

tsk, I know. I commute by bike to office because car takes twice as much time, and there's no cab facility. But gimme mass transit system, and i'd stop personal transportation in the city anyday - waiting sooo much for metro to gurgaon!!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2007, 10:57   #35
Team-BHP Support

Anybody would do that phamilyman.
When I was in bangalore I used to commute 20kms by car every day. If there had been a bus route to office, even if it meant changing 1 bus I would have taken it.
Now in noida its just a 5km commute which takes me 10-12 minutes. Roads are not crowded.
But if I was going to Delhi via the ring road, I would have gone mad by now
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote