Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:50   #1111
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Looks fairly complete that white car. also its a DX!

Can one fit seatbelts from any other car into a Non-DX SS80 or do they have to be orignal ones?
it is best to have the original ones fitted,
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 01:16   #1112
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,480
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the white ss80 dx you have posted is the car which was sold for a fancy price 2 months ago
neither did I say it's a pastal blue!. I was with the opinion to try new color which can make the car unique, stand out from the crowd and which might even make other feel " wow nice car/color".
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 08:53   #1113
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 380
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Looks fairly complete that white car. also its a DX!

Can one fit seatbelts from any other car into a Non-DX SS80 or do they have to be orignal ones?
The original ones are a pain to handle since they are not rectractable unlike the later model Seatbelts. also the originals would be quite difficult to source, so go for the seatbelts of the SB308 that should be quite easy to get.
Now if you want concourse restoration then may be you can try your luck at getting the OE stuff.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 10:16   #1114
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
The original ones are a pain to handle since they are not rectractable unlike the later model Seatbelts. also the originals would be quite difficult to source, so go for the seatbelts of the SB308 that should be quite easy to get.
Now if you want concourse restoration then may be you can try your luck at getting the OE stuff.
.But on the other hand,if it is not a DX version,why do you want to fit the seatbelts.once fitted you will have to wear them always
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:20   #1115
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,579
Thanked: 120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Guys need one suggestion. The garage guy whose restoring my car now says we must not get the whole car-paint scraped as he says the bodyline will be messed up big time. Instead he says he'll scrap all the necessary parts.
Current paint shade is brown and I am going to get it painted in pastel blue mostly. So wuldnt it affect the final paint?
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 13:55   #1116
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,633
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

^^ he is right ; are you really serious about getting the colour changed?you'll need an endorsement in the rc after that(as per rules,of course).

Do not take off all the paint - you'll expose the sheet metal and that will result in slow corrosion
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:30   #1117
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ he is right ; are you really serious about getting the colour changed?you'll need an endorsement in the rc after that(as per rules,of course).

Do not take off all the paint - you'll expose the sheet metal and that will result in slow corrosion
fully to that.Please dont scrape the paint in an SS80, do as the painter suggested
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 15:22   #1118
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,579
Thanked: 120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Thanks for your advice folks.
Just got a news y'day that a maroon coloured '85 800 non-DX but with A/C and 75k km genuine; two owner car was sold for 60k recently.

Seems the SS80's value is climbing
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 15:24   #1119
Distinguished - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,190
Thanked: 1,981 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Guys need one suggestion. The garage guy whose restoring my car now says we must not get the whole car-paint scraped as he says the bodyline will be messed up big time. Instead he says he'll scrap all the necessary parts.
Current paint shade is brown and I am going to get it painted in pastel blue mostly. So wuldnt it affect the final paint?

What the Painter is telling is absolute Hogwash. Any Capable paintshop can get the lines back to factory spec. I would suggest you to look for a more capable paintshop to do the work.

I have done a complete strip down paintjob on my second (white) SS80DX, and it looks factory fresh.

Infact, i would anyday prefer a complete strip down paintjob, over a semi scrape job, especially if the colour is going to be changed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ he is right ; are you really serious about getting the colour changed?you'll need an endorsement in the rc after that(as per rules,of course).

Most of these old cars do not have the colour mentioned in the RC book. Check if its mentioned in yours, if not, go right ahead with the colour change. But preferably, stick to the factory shades- Red/Blue/White/Brown.


Quote:
Do not take off all the paint - you'll expose the sheet metal and that will result in slow corrosion
Please understand that he is not going to expose the bare metal, and leave it there as it is, it will be covered with primer very soon. There will be no slow corrosion due to this. Infact, a complete strip down job, if properly done, will always help to prevent future rust issues.

Last edited by JayD : 6th September 2011 at 15:25.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 16:21   #1120
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,579
Thanked: 120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Which woudl be the best place in Mumbai except the scrapyards to find parts for the SS80?

Would I be able to get front seats or shall I get them made at any local seat guy?
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 13:53   #1121
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,579
Thanked: 120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Okay folks, just an update

My SS80 is now undergoing paint work; Pastel Blue Color.

I am getting the Antenna hole closed and also I'll use the mirror of the new car as old style mirror is slightly uncomfortable ( this is what I found). Rest of the car hopefully I'll try to keep as stock as possible.

Pix coming soon!
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 17:52   #1122
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,342
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Okay folks, just an update

My SS80 is now undergoing paint work; Pastel Blue Color.

I am getting the Antenna hole closed and also I'll use the mirror of the new car as old style mirror is slightly uncomfortable ( this is what I found). Rest of the car hopefully I'll try to keep as stock as possible.

Pix coming soon!
No need to close the antenna holes.Use the OE blanking rubbers which was there on all standard SS80.should be available cheap!!
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 16:59   #1123
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,579
Thanked: 120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Here's my car after first coat.
Final shade will be much lighter than this.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-11092011002.jpg  

fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 21:55   #1124
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,579
Thanked: 120 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Here she is with the final coat done.

Guys; I need help with a set of tail lamps for now; Can anyone guide me which auto-parts store may have it in Mumbai?

Also, need one more suggestion; I am planning to get the seats redone as the original ones are almost gone. Will it be wise to fix up better seats from say, a Zen? I am running a little tight on the budget side as well.
Attached Images
 
fx45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 00:14   #1125
Senior - BHPian
 
chanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: APX to AP 29
Posts: 1,480
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Here's my car after first coat.
Final shade will be much lighter than this.
But this seems to be a different shade than that of a pastel blue, am I feeling this or is it because the pic was taken through a mobile. Pastel blue are quite different from this shade, even the undercoat/first coat was little darker for pastel blue.
chanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Restored! 1985 Maruti 800 (SS80), A/C Deluxe royamrit Modifications & Accessories 27 4th September 2016 10:54
Restoration project - Maruti 800 (SS80) 1984 model the_maassk Modifications & Accessories 32 18th November 2015 11:26
Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad ashvar87 Technical Stuff 54 18th November 2015 11:17
Buying Suzuki SS80 1984 model anarchist Hatchbacks 32 1st September 2009 06:34
Wanted 1984/1985 Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX ajay99 Shifting gears 4 27th January 2008 11:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks