Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which looks better to YOU ?
Baleno 110 46.41%
SX4 127 53.59%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2009, 14:18   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
.now the SX4's a kinda soft roader in europe...cousin to the Fiat Sedici...now if you try to make a sedan out of a soft roader...this is how it'll look..the overall design does'nt gel well..looks a bit ridiculous to me...
Actually even the esteem was a hatch initially(remember the original european swift) and it did not looked bad at all for its time and looked reasonable even today.Dzire is no doubt very odd looking,it spoiled the whole design of the swift hatch.Even baleno was sold as a station wagon here which looked better to me than the sedan if talking about the rear.And moreover Internationally baleno was sold as a hot hatch(that has a huge fan following and is an awesome car) and as a sedan and station wagon as well but sx4 is a different story,while the hatch looks smart and handsome the sedan version definately looks very odd and annoying.Some of its bits are very good individually but on a whole the sx4 looks as an excuse for a Softroader and a joke of a sedan
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 14:45   #122
Senior - BHPian

yeah the baleno altura looked really good and ahead of its time...the SX4 has some good features and it is suited well for india...but as a true blue car lover, i don't sponsor its quirky looks..our esteem looked better than the old swift mate!!!
AyAn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 18:49   #123
BHPian

You got it wrong..I didn't say about snob value. when I said 'look down', I meant the height of your seating position.

And yes I am an INDICA fan. Contrary to others I feel happy when I see a lot of Indicabs around. And to some extent being in Indica helps me to survive in Bangalore traffic.(means I am not worried about brushing past somebody else or sneaking my way through the traffic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hmm. And today when they see you at the signal in your car which happens to be the official taxicab of India - the Indica - they must be writhing in their seats with envy - "Wow, look at that lucky guy. He drives an Indica. What would I not give to be in his shoes. Hey, he actually has a V2 - the 2nd version with most of the bugs ironed out. Lucky bugger. And so on and so forth"

We all are proud of the cars we own, but how ridiculous it is to be at the lowest spectrum of the Indian car market that stretches from 2lakhs to 6 crores and to be talking about snob value.
sudheeshnairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 20:17   #124
BHPian

Thumbs up

Its SX4 all the way. Baleno was great for its times - its sad that it did not sell well because of its pricing.

The SX4 looks great in comparison to its counterparts - high stance, clear lines. The back could do better - the wrap around tail lights don't do justice to it. Side profile is imposing with a sharp nose that is somehow spoilt by the TATA like front grill - IMHO that can be modified aftermarket.

Baleno was more refined and sobre though while the SX4 really brings the man out of you (in case the fairer sex does not - hehehe)
suprateep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 00:02   #125
Senior - BHPian

Further whats more annoying is the fact that there are some serious design flaws with the SX4. The a pillar combined with that 'lambo-inspired' quarter glass reduces the visibility to some extent. Yesterday i drove dad's SX4(his company car) and was really annoyed by the lack of proper visibility. On a couple of occasions I discovered a two wheeler approaching me from right on when it was a couple of meters away.Whats the use of so called 'modern' looks if takes away the driving experience.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2009, 11:15   #126
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Further whats more annoying is the fact that there are some serious design flaws with the SX4. The a pillar combined with that 'lambo-inspired' quarter glass reduces the visibility to some extent. Yesterday i drove dad's SX4(his company car) and was really annoyed by the lack of proper visibility. On a couple of occasions I discovered a two wheeler approaching me from right on when it was a couple of meters away.Whats the use of so called 'modern' looks if takes away the driving experience.
actually many of the so called modern cars often suffer from this particular trait. I remember driving a 2008 nissan 350z for over a week in California and even drove it to Vegas and back in a space of 15 hours (3 hours for 320 miles flat each way) - what hit me was the presence of so many blind spots. It was my first experience behind the wheel in the US with no prior driving lessons and with just an Indian license and was a pain at times. Was about to hit the divider wall at night once and almost hit a old mans corolla side on.

Apart from it though the engine and the sound and the feel had me floored.

Ditto for the Nissan Sentra and Altima that i drove there. Only exception was a mitshubishi evo - looked a lot smaller and wicked. And the drive - stiff but orgasmic
suprateep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 05:09   #127
BHPian

baleno is a real sedan. I love such traditional designs for sedans. I don't feel like calling sx4 a sedan. It is just ugly.
fireblade007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 09:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

having owned a Baleno (sigh!!) and now having recently bought an SX4 here are my 2 cents.

the Baleno no doubt is the sportierof the lot- not just in looks but also driving position, road stance etc, esp with proper tyres(read 185 and above). Plus there are no blind spots, so driving in traffic is easier. But the low GC of the baleno makes it a bit unsiutable for indian roads.

The sx4 is an acquired taste- I loved the looks from day 1- some hate it- to each is own. The driving position is a bit confused IMHO- neither sporty sedan nor SUVish- Since i have transitioned from a Safari,I have got the seat and steering wheel to the max height, installed a center armrest and try to replicate the feeling of an SUV, since i realised that I will never be able to get a "sporty" driving position in this car.

the best part of the sx4 is the GC which does not look odd thanks to the bitch alloys and those massive 205 16 inchers. the blind spots are a pain thoug. last night, in ouring rain, I ran over a kerb on a turn since it was jutting out a bit more than normal on the road without seeing the damn thing- result- I lost my front mudflat(which is factory fillted and sits flush with teh wheel well)- luckily the GC prevented any underbody damage though!

all in all, the Baleno was a great product for its time, but time has moved on and while the sx4, though not ideal, is a good replacement for the baleno.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 10:55   #129
BHPian

I am not a big fan of Baleno as far as looks goes. But SX4 doesn't qualify as car. Looks are subjective.
princemanatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 11:29   #130
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to SX4,have a very good stance and looks macho.
Baleno is not a head turner.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 11:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 is way too cool to appeal to conservative Indian tastes which have grown up on a diet of frumpy cars like the Ambassador, Esteem, Wagon-R and the like which were marketed to elderly ladies in the rest of the world, in their time. The Baleno, Esteem etc., remind me of why Suzuki was at the bottom of the automotive heap until they hit pay dirt when they found their ideal market, which is India. The Baleno is an elder sister to the D'Zire , with less of the family's negative gene pool.
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 13:01   #132
BANNED

My vote simply goes for the new mascular SX4.
Its pefect sedan for Indian roads.

VT
*VT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 13:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Neither - i think both of them are not good looking for similar reasons.

the overall proportions of the Baleno is good ( classic 3 boxer ) but the front end and rear end completely ruin the plot

the SX4 has totally messed up overall proportions to start with but in isolation the front end ( nice wide head lamps and grille ) and the rear end look good
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 13:15   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
the best part of the sx4 is the GC which does not look odd thanks to the bitch alloys and those massive 205 16 inchers. the blind spots are a pain thoug. last night, in ouring rain, I ran over a kerb on a turn since it was jutting out a bit more than normal on the road without seeing the damn thing- result- I lost my front mudflat(which is factory fillted and sits flush with teh wheel well)- luckily the GC prevented any underbody damage though!
Ouch, that hurts, especially on a new car!
BTW, can you please post an update on that place in the Hyd traffic routes thread?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 13:22   #135
BHPian

SX4 is my choice, even though it looks a little jacked up.
Baleno is just 4.5 meters of car(courtsey : Jezza); thats it.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote