Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 29th December 2010, 22:06   #61
BHPian

Default Re: when is kizashi coming to india

Visited today to MSIL, Vasant Vihar to check out Kizashi. Initial Impression is good with a solid look front grill and really fresh Interiors and comfortable seating. Wife also like the interiors but not the rear(again an individual perception). MSIL representative when questioned about the launch time also agreed that it is scheduled for January but the variants to be launched will differ from the international variant which is on the display.

Only point of contention from the first feel is that the headroom for people taller than 6 ft might not be adequate. But for me around 5Ft 11 Inch it was not a problem
Old 29th December 2010, 23:01   #62
Senior - BHPian

The Kizashi, IMO, will probably sell as much as the Hyundai Sonata Transform sells. In that price bracket, people would prefer to go for status and a brand like Skoda, Honda, Toyota rather than an expensive offspring of a mass market people mover. Thats the only reason why the Sonata, the Embera, the Transform, Elantra etc sold in low numbers, whereas the competion outshown them

And at that price bracket, no on cares about how many service centers maruti suzuki has.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:56   #63
BHPian

This is funny. They want to launch it a 16L,
then check response,
then localize production,
then lower cost,
then what?
Laugh at those poor sods who bought those initial batch of imported cars?
What do these mfgrs think?
That all the people can be conned all the time?
Old 30th December 2010, 15:44   #64
BHPian

They already did this once with Baleno. Now they wanted to do the same on Kizashi
Old 30th December 2010, 15:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzrockz View Post
This is funny. They want to launch it a 16L,
then check response,
then localize production,
then lower cost,
then what?
Laugh at those poor sods who bought those initial batch of imported cars?
What do these mfgrs think?
That all the people can be conned all the time?
I couldnt agree more. What is this strategy??
They really need to kit this car out like no other if they want to sell at 16L upwards. Im actually expecting it to be priced at 18L based on what ive been reading.
The fact is that it will never be made in India because Maruti isn't confident about this car in the first place. Id love to buy one but id hate to be that guy who bought a car which flopped, for example the Cedia, the Forester, the Sonata Emberra etc.
Old 30th December 2010, 16:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

The reviews abroad actually appreciate the ride and handling of this car. Surprising that the reviewer actually said the driver's seat is the place to be as far as this car is concerned.
Old 30th December 2010, 16:45   #67
Team-BHP Support

I actually wonder what kind of business planning the folks at Maruti do if they can't even get their pricing right. The approach outlined by jazzrockz above is a recipe for disaster. It's quite obvious that they have to invest in the first lot of CBU cars so as to make a better realisation overall. When you drop the price of a car, not only do you piss off your oldest customers, you also demean the brand value significantly. This is all Marketing 101.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

Rediff says the launch will be in January 2011. Brought in as CBUs.
Old 30th December 2010, 22:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

They should realize that they are not a luxury car maker and stick to what they are good at. Exploring new segments are only going to hurt them. Hyundai on the other hand can still manage to get away as it is still a whole notch above the Marutis. You have a line up of around 3-5 marutis, where as for hyundai they start in that range with the Santro

Give me the Kizashi for around 10L and even then I would rather go in for a Jazz, City, etc
Old 31st December 2010, 01:34   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeld View Post
If its the 2.0 liter engine we can expect the following specs for the engine. It does duty on the SX4 in Australia.
Attachment 472294
Source: Suzuki Australia | SX4 AWD | Specifications
17 L and all i get is 112 HP
Old 31st December 2010, 02:31   #71
BHPian

Kizashi is competing with Camrys, Accords, etc. globally. So price should be comparable. As a car and platform it is proving to be very good in long term reviews. But that has not reflected in the sales nos. yet.

However if they plan on launching in india with a less powerful engine, then they better set their eyes on competing with Laura segment. Since this the first time for maruti launching a sedan bigger than the compact Sx4, I hope they have a good launch strategy.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Where did you get those figures from? especially the 112 HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Kizashi is competing with Camrys, Accords, etc. globally. So price should be comparable. As a car and platform it is proving to be very good in long term reviews. But that has not reflected in the sales nos. yet.

However if they plan on launching in india with a less powerful engine, then they better set their eyes on competing with Laura segment. Since this the first time for maruti launching a sedan bigger than the compact Sx4, I hope they have a good launch strategy.
Kizashi sits between a civic and accord dimensionally but the target market is the mid size sedan and not the full size. This reflects in its pricing too. It will compete with the same cars here and not with those in the next segment.

The relatively low sales in the US is because unlike here the dealership network there is next to nothing. Having said that, the dealers have been able to move stocks at a fairly decent pace.
Old 31st December 2010, 16:11   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
its 112KW (1KW = 1.34Bhp), so the 2.0L engine in the Kizashi will produce 150Bhp.

IMO, a fully loaded Kizashi (2.0L) should not cost more than 15Lacs or its going to be another dud for MSIL.

Last edited by harishnair : 31st December 2010 at 16:16.
Old 31st December 2010, 23:10   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Kizashi sits between a civic and accord dimensionally but the target market is the mid size sedan and not the full size. This reflects in its pricing too. It will compete with the same cars here and not with those in the next segment.
Correct me if I am wrong, IMO Accord, Camry, Passat, etc. are classified as mid size. And dimensionally Kizashi is closer to passat. So it would potentially compete with mid
sizers if appropriate engine was provided. Otherwise it is better off competing in a segment below was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The relatively low sales in the US is because unlike here the dealership network there is next to nothing. Having said that, the dealers have been able to move stocks at a fairly decent pace.
I am not sure about that. Overall roughly around 6000 kizashis were sold in usa for 2010. And even globally kizashi was not a big hit anywhere.
Old 1st January 2011, 01:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, IMO Accord, Camry, Passat, etc. are classified as mid size. And dimensionally Kizashi is closer to passat. So it would potentially compete with mid
sizers if appropriate engine was provided. Otherwise it is better off competing in a segment below was my point.

I am not sure about that. Overall roughly around 6000 kizashis were sold in usa for 2010. And even globally kizashi was not a big hit anywhere.
I believe that we are both saying the same thing but in our own different ways. As for which cars are mid size and which are full size sedans that is fodder for another thread.

Happy New Year.

Note from Mod : Please continue the discussion in the New Kizashi thread. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2011 at 21:49. Reason: Adding link to new Kizashi thread
Closed Thread