Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2012, 13:30   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,255
Thanked: 1,442 Times
Default Re: Buying in Cochin and using in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Sorry for bumping a four year old thread, Is there any improvment in the Bangy RTO scene? My baby sis and hubby are planning to get their first car(both of them are novice drivers) and there is a difference of around 80K between Thrissur and Bangalore OTR? They would be in bangalore for the next 4-5 years. Does it make any sense in buying the car from Kerala and using it in bangalore? I dont think i should be even asking this question, but thought i would just get it confirmed eitherways.
RTO checking of out-of-state registered cars for tax evasion waxes and wanes with the State's financial imperatives. But it is omnipresent.

My advice to your sister & brother-in-law would be to buy in Bangalore since they plan to stay in this city for 4-5 years. A big part of the extra 80K will be recovered when they sell the car on.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 13:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,740
Thanked: 3,136 Times
Default Re: Buying in Cochin and using in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Sorry for bumping a four year old thread, Is there any improvment in the Bangy RTO scene? My baby sis and hubby are planning to get their first car(both of them are novice drivers) and there is a difference of around 80K between Thrissur and Bangalore OTR? They would be in bangalore for the next 4-5 years. Does it make any sense in buying the car from Kerala and using it in bangalore? I dont think i should be even asking this question, but thought i would just get it confirmed eitherways.
Me and my friend had the same problem couple of weeks back. There is obviously a price difference where Blore is on the higher end. AFAIK, you can use the car in Blore for 2 years if it's registered in Kerala after which you will have to pay the tax in Blore. This was what the cops told me when I drove to Blore couple of months back. Not sure whether they will ask you to pay the tax after 2 years.

Get the car registered in Thrissur if you have a residential/office address and get a NOC if required. You can consult the RTO officer and get this attested. Once you have all the original documents (RC, Insurance, Tax receipt), you can take the car to Blore.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 14:23   #48
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default Re: Buying in Cochin and using in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
My advice to your sister & brother-in-law would be to buy in Bangalore
Many Thanks KiloAlpha, and since they being novice drivers, it would be helpful incase of any accidents or anything to get better help from police and locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There is obviously a price difference where Blore is on the higher end. .
Many Thanks Naveen, this is the only reason why even i was in two minds on what to decide. Suppose i buy the car from thrissur, would there be any problems in getting the cars serviced in Maurti Authorised Services Centres,i have seen out of state vehicles getting step motherly treatment at the Authorized Service centres.
Also, would there be any harassment from the cops/local if its out of state car(driven by a lady)..
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 14:54   #49
Distinguished - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,740
Thanked: 3,136 Times
Default Re: Buying in Cochin and using in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroRosso View Post
Suppose i buy the car from thrissur, would there be any problems in getting the cars serviced in Maurti Authorised Services Centres,i have seen out of state vehicles getting step motherly treatment at the Authorized Service centres.
Also, would there be any harassment from the cops/local if its out of state car(driven by a lady)..
Servicing the car wouldnt be a problem. Since there are many Maruti service stations and the competition is high, they will be looking for maximum number of cars to their kitty. I have serviced my KL-7 swift in Blore without any problems.

Second question is also rare. As mentioned I have taken both my KL-7 reg cars to Blore numerous times and wasnt caught. The only time was on the elevated highway for speeding. They didnt ask anything about the registration. I put the point forward since my tbhpians had this doubt. The cops said you can drive Non KA reg cars for two years after which you will have to pay the tax. But I know many cousins/friends driving non KA reg cars. No harassment from cops but beware of locals. They might cause problems especially if you are involved in any accident. A lady that I know banged a bus while she was driving (a small accident). The bus driver started shouting but the cop who saw this cleared the situation in a calm manner standing by her side. This is the only situation to be careful of.

I carry the toll tickets with me to show that I came for a visit even if I stay for weeks

Last edited by naveen.raju : 24th August 2012 at 15:00.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 12:42   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 84
Thanked: 117 Times
Talking New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Hi All,

My first new thread on T-BHP, so mods, please move/merge to the appropriate section and forgive mistakes:

Background:
We currently own a 2001 model Alto VX 1.1 (Yeah, we've owned it for more than 14 years and not a single rattle till now! ). The car has clocked just ~38K Km, since dad has a office car and driver. The family car is only used for short outings during weekends. Nowadays, I take it to my office occasionally, or mom takes it to her school when there are bus strikes (Members from Kerala would understand what I mean )

Dad is a government employee who gets transferred to different places in India. We brought the Alto in Vadodara (Gujarat) where it spent 4 years, then in Mumbai for 6 years and now in Kochi for 4 years. We did not change the registration while in Mumbai, but paid the MH-road tax, which was just ~24K.

Now the dilemma:

While we were going to upgrade our car this year, my dad got transferred to Bangalore. Since I'm working in Kochi and only my parents are shifting to Bangalore, We find no point in transporting our Alto (currently with KL registration) to Bangalore since it is at the end of its life. Hence we've decided to upgrade. We decided to buy a Kerala registered car since my parents would eventually settle in Kerala, after 5 years

Questions:

1. Should we purchase a new car in Kochi (Kerala) and maintain it in Bangalore, with a copy of the transfer order; or buy it from Bangalore itself? Is there any relaxation for central government employees driving out of state cars in Bangalore (Refer Karnataka road tax structure, Section A, sub section 14-2)? Paying lump sum tax again sounds painful!

2. What type of car (hatch or sedan) would be more comfortable to drive and park in Bangalore? Most probably, my dad would start driving this car to office.

3. We've a budget of maximum Rs. 12 Lakhs (OTR Kochi).Requirements are :

a. Easy to drive and not too costly to maintain. (<=6K for a normal service/year)
b. Reasonably sturdy and quality interiors.
c. Space for 5 adults (I'm 6 ft tall, dad and bro are 5ft 10").

The car would be driven by my dad and mom, with me and my younger brother visiting them (and driving the car) once or twice in a month. It would also have a long ownership life like our Alto did.

Shortlist:
1. Honda City V-MT
2.Maruti Ciaz ZXi+
3. Hyundai i20 1.2-Asta-MT

(PS: We really liked the VW Vento/Polo, specially the TSI variant, but are very very suspicious about the service cost and the long term reliability)

I'd love to hear your answers to my questions and your suggestions on the car shortlist, specially from Bangalore members. Thanks!
govindremesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:39   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
arnabchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MH-04
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 1,084 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
I'd love to hear your answers to my questions and your suggestions on the car shortlist, specially from Bangalore members. Thanks!
To answer your queries:
1) Buy the car in Bangalore itself. Why pay taxes two times?
2) Sedan or hatch completely depends on your choice. Personally asking, Sedan would be preferred as it will offer better space and ride quality

Of the sedans selected, my vote goes for the Ciaz.
Why?
1) Good interiors
2) Better ASC and looks(again subjective, but I dislike the chrome City Mustache)
3) They retain the good old temperature gauge
4) Better FE
5) Comparatively cheaper to maintain in the longer run( I have friends owning Citys and they are not too pleased with the post warranty service expenses)
6) Acres of rear space

Last edited by Aditya : 17th April 2015 at 12:23. Reason: Trimming quoted text
arnabchak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:49   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 84
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Thanks for the reply Arnab. We were sure about Ciaz, but once we took the test drive of Honda City, we were simply impressed. My father liked the light controls and found it to be more comfortable to drive than Ciaz.

However, Ciaz does remain a strong contender at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
To answer your queries:
1) Buy the car in Bangalore itself. Why pay taxes two times?
As I mentioned in my post, my parents would come back to Kerala in 5 years (or even less, if my dad is transferred again). If the car is purchased in Bangalore, would it be really easy to get a refund? Additionally, City/Ciaz OTR price is costlier by about 1 lakh in Bangalore than in Cochin.
govindremesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 14:57   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post


1. Should we purchase a new car in Kochi (Kerala) and maintain it in Bangalore, with a copy of the transfer order; or buy it from Bangalore itself? Is there any relaxation for central government employees driving out of state cars in Bangalore (Refer Karnataka road tax structure, Section A, sub section 14-2)? Paying lump sum tax again sounds painful!



3. We've a budget of maximum Rs. 12 Lakhs (OTR Kochi).Requirements are :

Buy the car in Bangalore if it is going to be used in Bangalore. Take a look at this thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...bangalore.html (Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore). You will not have any more confusion on where to register the car

Are you looking for a diesel or Petrol car?

Last edited by pramodpk : 16th April 2015 at 15:02.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:11   #54
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 314
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
As I mentioned in my post, my parents would come back to Kerala in 5 years (or even less, if my dad is transferred again). If the car is purchased in Bangalore, would it be really easy to get a refund? Additionally, City/Ciaz OTR price is costlier by about 1 lakh in Bangalore than in Cochin.
Getting a refund from any of the RTO is a tedious process and I personally haven't met anyone who has got their money back. It is better to pay the road tax at KL RTO after 5 years compared to buying a new car there any paying a huge tax amount in KA RTO. With the depreciation calculations, the road tax that you will pay in KL RTO might not be very heavy on your pockets.

As for the car itself, any reason why the i20 Elite is ignored? The 1.4 diesel is a well rounded car and if you don't require the additional boot space, you can check it out. A hatchback is easier to drive and park inside the city compared to a sedan.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:23   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,263
Thanked: 8,057 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

+1 to Pramod. If you read that thread, you will drop the idea of buying in Kochi and bringing it to Bangalore. If you do that, you definitely will have to pay tax twice. On the other hand if you buy in Bangalore, even if your parents move to Kerala after few years, the tax you will need to pay in Kerala will be lower considering the lower taxes and also considering depreciation.

Regarding car suitable for Bangalore, Considering Bangalore traffic and the fact that both your dad and mom will be driving, I would recommend an Automatic.

Why do you need it as a comfortable 5 seater? All cars will seat 5, if it is just for the short duration when you and your brother visit, then it will be manageable in any car. If the car is expected to carry 5 regularly, then your choice will be more limited.

If it is expected to seat 5 occasionally, I suggest you look at the Compact Sedans- Amaze, Xcent, Zest, Dzire, and upcoming Ford Aspire (All have 1/2 AT variants also). They will be easier to maneuver and park.

For the full size sedans, If going for an AT variant, City is the best option (with the assumption that you are not considering the Vento TSI). If manual City, Ciaz, Linea will probably be my top choices. All of them will serve your purpose. So it will boil down to what works best for you.

Edit: Assuming you are looking at a petrol car.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 16th April 2015 at 15:26.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 15:39   #56
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
1. Should we purchase a new car in Kochi (Kerala) and maintain it in Bangalore, with a copy of the transfer order; or buy it from Bangalore itself? Is there any relaxation for central government employees driving out of state cars in Bangalore (Refer Karnataka road tax structure, Section A, sub section 14-2)? Paying lump sum tax again sounds painful!
Govt. employees are exempt from paying LTT in other states again, if transferred in course of the job. Also, I think KA road tax is higher than KL; hence better to register the car in KL. Just check with KA RTO if your Dad is indeed in the exempt category; else the entire ploy can backfire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
2. What type of car (hatch or sedan) would be more comfortable to drive and park in Bangalore? Most probably, my dad would start driving this car to office.
A hatch is any day easier to drive and park. Not a brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
3. We've a budget of maximum Rs. 12 Lakhs (OTR Kochi).Requirements are :

a. Easy to drive and not too costly to maintain. (<=6K for a normal service/year)
b. Reasonably sturdy and quality interiors.
c. Space for 5 adults (I'm 6 ft tall, dad and bro are 5ft 10").

The car would be driven by my dad and mom, with me and my younger brother visiting them (and driving the car) once or twice in a month. It would also have a long ownership life like our Alto did.
Your budget is generous enough to accommodate most cars available today. However, if you wish to get a hatchback, I will recommend you the Toyota Liva. Stellar reliability, comes with 2 airbags as standard, has good interior space, and Toyota's service is excellent. You will not miss not being with Maruti too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Shortlist:
1. Honda City V-MT
2.Maruti Ciaz ZXi+
3. Hyundai i20 1.2-Asta-MT
If a choice has to be made from the above 2, both the City & the Ciaz are very good cars. However, save for the parking space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
As I mentioned in my post, my parents would come back to Kerala in 5 years (or even less, if my dad is transferred again). If the car is purchased in Bangalore, would it be really easy to get a refund? Additionally, City/Ciaz OTR price is costlier by about 1 lakh in Bangalore than in Cochin.
Do not take the decision banking on this factor. LTT once paid, forget it. If you get back, consider it a bonus!
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 16:27   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 84
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post

Are you looking for a diesel or Petrol car?
Petrol. We're still not sure if dad will get a company car. If he does, the new car will a run of only ~ 5000 KM /year

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post

As for the car itself, any reason why the i20 Elite is ignored?.
I've included i20. Dad a big fan of this car. (I personally dislike the styling)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
+1 to Pramod. If you read that thread, you will drop the idea of buying in Kochi and bringing it to Bangalore. If you do that, you definitely will have to pay tax twice. On the other hand if you buy in Bangalore, even if your parents move to Kerala after few years, the tax you will need to pay in Kerala will be lower considering the lower taxes and also considering depreciation.

Regarding car suitable for Bangalore, Considering Bangalore traffic and the fact that both your dad and mom will be driving, I would recommend an Automatic.

Why do you need it as a comfortable 5 seater? All cars will seat 5, if it is just for the short duration when you and your brother visit, then it will be manageable in any car. If the car is expected to carry 5 regularly, then your choice will be more limited.

If it is expected to seat 5 occasionally, I suggest you look at the Compact Sedans- Amaze, Xcent, Zest, Dzire, and upcoming Ford Aspire (All have 1/2 AT variants also). They will be easier to maneuver and park.

For the full size sedans, If going for an AT variant, City is the best option (with the assumption that you are not considering the Vento TSI). If manual City, Ciaz, Linea will probably be my top choices. All of them will serve your purpose. So it will boil down to what works best for you.

Edit: Assuming you are looking at a petrol car.
Petrol car only. Depreciated value can be considered, but if my dad gets transferred to another state in 2 years, The heavy tax would be wasted!
Our family of 4 is split on the sedan/hatch debate. its a 50:50, hence considering both

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Govt. employees are exempt from paying LTT in other states again, if transferred in course of the job. Also, I think KA road tax is higher than KL; hence better to register the car in KL. Just check with KA RTO if your Dad is indeed in the exempt category; else the entire ploy can backfire!


A hatch is any day easier to drive and park. Not a brainer.


Do not take the decision banking on this factor. LTT once paid, forget it. If you get back, consider it a bonus!
This is the answer that I've been looking for. I think my dad does fall into that category. Let me quote from Karnataka Road taxation schedule document

Quote:
Motor Cars including jeeps owned by Central Government employees or defence personnel or employees of public sector undertakings owned by Government of India including nationalized banks which are brought with them to the State of Karnataka on transfer for which lifetime tax, or tax quarterly or annually, as the case may be, has already been paid in other states or union territories.
The tax for this is 500 per quarter. Dad works for a public sector undertaking.

But are our babus aware of the fact? I called up an RTO agent in Bangalore and they seemed to be clueless.

PS: They said as a govt employee, the car could be driven around without paying a penny as only proof of transfer is required. I don't agree to that!

Last edited by Aditya : 16th April 2015 at 18:17. Reason: Deleting extra smiley
govindremesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 16:49   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Petrol. We're still not sure if dad will get a company car. If he does, the new car will a run of only ~ 5000 KM /year



I've included i20. Dad a big fan of this car. (I personally dislike the styling)
Why don't you consider the Ford Ecosport with Ecoboost engine? Ford service in Bangalore is good.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 18:12   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,638
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Hi All,

Questions:


2. What type of car (hatch or sedan) would be more comfortable to drive and park in Bangalore? Most probably, my dad would start driving this car to office.

3. We've a budget of maximum Rs. 12 Lakhs (OTR Kochi).Requirements are :

a. Easy to drive and not too costly to maintain. (<=6K for a normal service/year)
b. Reasonably sturdy and quality interiors.
c. Space for 5 adults (I'm 6 ft tall, dad and bro are 5ft 10").

The car would be driven by my dad and mom, with me and my younger brother visiting them (and driving the car) once or twice in a month. It would also have a long ownership life like our Alto did.

Shortlist:
1. Honda City V-MT
2.Maruti Ciaz ZXi+
3. Hyundai i20 1.2-Asta-MT

(PS: We really liked the VW Vento/Polo, specially the TSI variant, but are very very suspicious about the service cost and the long term reliability)

I'd love to hear your answers to my questions and your suggestions on the car shortlist, specially from Bangalore members. Thanks!
2 & 3: If it will be a self driven car that will not require a big boot space, why not look at:
- a: Auto as it would be easier to drive in Bangalore traffic. Options include xCent AT, Ciaz AT, City AT from the cars that match your requirements of low maintenance and reliability.
- b: Maybe a crossover like the Ecosport A/T? Easier to get in and out of, compact dimensions, sturdy and good GC to tackle most road conditions, reliable, etc. Plus it now offers 5 year warranty packages as well.

As for maintenance, most cars with mineral/semi-synthetic mineral oil should be sub >6K. Synthetic oil is more expensive (around Rs. 1000/L), so cars which require synthetic oil would have more expensive service charges. Obviously, it does have its advantages which are well discussed on this forum.
Similarly, a car that requires service every 6 months would also impact service costs v/s a car that needs to go once a year. Most cars now have once a year service intervals, but some still need to be sent twice a year.
Lastly, most brands offer extended warranty which offer an extended peace of mind. However, looking at the fact that you retained your alto for 14 years, this might just be a moot point.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 19:08   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 84
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: New car purchase while in transit from KL to KA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Why don't you consider the Ford Ecosport with Ecoboost engine? Ford service in Bangalore is good.
Ecosport-EcoBoost was on the Radar, but none of us liked the styling and the big spare tyre on the back. Hence was dropped off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
2 & 3: If it will be a self driven car that will not require a big boot space, why not look at:
- a: Auto as it would be easier to drive in Bangalore traffic. Options include xCent AT, Ciaz AT, City AT from the cars that match your requirements of low maintenance and reliability.
- b: Maybe a crossover like the Ecosport A/T? Easier to get in and out of, compact dimensions, sturdy and good GC to tackle most road conditions, reliable, etc. Plus it now offers 5 year warranty packages as well.
While I'm a big fan of automatics, my parents don't want to risk going for over-sophistication (read, DSG automatics), while the conventional automatic (torque converter) would compromise mileage and that is again not an option. They are ready for AMT though, but sadly, it is not available in this segment and City CVT is out of budget.

Further, no Compact sedan or pseudo SUVs for us. Either a hatchback or a proper C segment sedan. We're open to both types of cars.
govindremesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying & Using a Pressure Washer jp1 Modifications & Accessories 974 5th December 2017 18:16
Cochin-Goa-Mumbai-Bangalore-Cochin sudheermenon Route / Travel Queries 16 6th October 2016 13:28
1550 Kms:Bangalore-Parambikulam-Valparai-Cochin-Ooty-Bangalore in a DZire ZDi PearlJam Travelogues 38 6th May 2010 10:08
Bangalore - Cochin - Thekkady - Alleppy - Cochin - Bangalore SBR Travelogues 18 19th August 2009 20:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks