Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Pick your beast
Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2008, 10:48   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
ya man, looks like all the safari fans in the world have been accumulated in T-BHP.
or alse, all the members have be turned to safari fans in this forum!
ha ha!! even i feel the same looking at the poll results. well the 2.2 litres fans are spread over the world. thanks to large exports of safari 2.2 dicor and the new xenon dicor. both are rocking especially outside india.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 11:47   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose14 View Post
those taxis are old prehistoric TCIC's and
please tell me how do you know that all those NRI's bought Scorpio.i don't say that safari are not used as taxis but market for them is very small, in punjab you can even find mercs are taxi's.
Because some of the ex Safari owners I know (relatives/friends) have bought Scorpios. One went for an Endeavour but a good 6 of them went over to the Scorpio. So maybe all is an exaggerated but a lot I know did.
bigman is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 11:54   #198
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Well said.

When you become a fanboy, you destroy any credibility that your arguements may have otherwise carried.

All fanboys are the same, whether they root for Fiat, or Mahindra or Baleno or (unfortunately nowadays) Safari.
We need to concede the choice to the one who is buying the vehicle, and then wish him all the best to enjoy his ride.
There is no doubt that all the Safari owners enjoy their respective vehicles as much as the ones that bought the Scorpio, or the Palio, or whatever their hearts and/or minds told them to buy!

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th June 2008 at 21:28. Reason: Post edited as post being referred to has been deleted.
anupmathur is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:03   #199
BHPian
 
iceman7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 706
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

imho this is a tough call to take. While these cars are very differently engineered, my heart goes for the SAFARI, but my head says SCORPIO.

So who wins in this heart v/s head battle? No 2 thoughts. The SAFARI of course.

I hate the cheap plastics inside the Scorpio.
iceman7 is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:06   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Lastly (time to get out of here), we keep ranting "sales-sales-sales" - Since this thread is about the Safari 2.2 vs the Scorpio Mhawk, can someone give the sales numbers for the Mhawk by month since inception?
The truth which looks obvious based on my observation that i couldnt find any significant number of MHawks on road.

but Safari 2.2 has broken every record,talk about metros,villages its everywhere guys.

Someone just said few things about Safari taxis in punjab,well i dont know about punjab,but come to my hometown Rohtak in haryana.

you will stop counting Safaris and those people are buying it cos of comfort,road presence,excellent engine,total VFM it offers over scorp.

somehow spotting a new scorp these days is becoming tad tough.

can i ask Why ?

But i would still love to see the sales comparison of MHawk and Safari 2.2.

thanks
simply_sunny001 is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:09   #201
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Guys why are you all wondering who bought what, and which state bought what?
Punjab buys Safari's not scorpio's.
This is a point you don't need to argue, because we have something called the Indian Sales figures thread.
I am cutting a portion for you. These are sales till the month of May
Safari VTT or Scorpio Hawk- battle of the 2.2s-tillmay.jpg
First the Punjab numbers
1128 Scorpios and 1732 Safari's. 1124 Bolero's and 1235 Sumo's
These numbers are also driven home by the fact that the dealer getting awards from Tata numbers for highest number of Safari's sold is not some Bombay/Delhi dealer, but a Ludhiana Dealer - Dada motors.
In NCR you can easily get 25K of the 4x4 EX but in PB, the max they offer is 10K.
If you come to NCR, the situation is reversed.
Scorpio sells 1435, while safari manages a measly 801. This is important because Punjab and NCR buy same number of MUVs(Safari Scorpio are classified as MUV in the spreadsheet).

Now coming to the Entire North India sales.
Safari sells more. Yes it does, thanks to Punjab. 4482 Safari's and 4284 scorpios.
But all India numbers say a different story 14242 Scorpio's and just 8523 Safari's

Who loves Scorpio most?
Well West India does, with safari hardly managing anything there. Maybe this is due to Tata hatred in WB due to Singur etc.? Don't know since I am not a mind reader

Ditto for south India, Scorpio trumps the safari 2:1

So if you look at all India, In the north Safari Scorpio sales are similar, all thanks to Punjab.
All over India Scorpio whips the safari.

Now the eternal question of this thread which is better.
Of course the Safari is better?
Why?
Because thats my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I hope you are getting the point.
So all this slanging matches with each other you guys are having are pointless.
No matter how many hells break loose, Suman and Steer will never concede that Safari is inferior to Scorpio.
And ditto for Mr. Shankar Balan, and other scorpio fans.

So All this argument is more of a opinion game rather than a fact game.
An automobile is not like the profit figures of a company. You can objectify it.
A love for a vehicle is a matter of the heart and logic has no place in it.

This is where all of you have simply lost the plot.
Some have tried to call it niche, while some have tried to objectify their love with who overtakes whom at 130kmph. Yet others have tried to justify using size of brains as a metric. Moreover they have done so without providing a CAT or MRI scan images.
Guys when posting something this objective, please post facts.

coming to 130kmph, guys don't do such speeds frequently in either of the two. A rollover is not a pleasant site. Esp after meals, you can puke due to tumbling.

And last but not the least, the taxi point. Well I have seen quite few scorpio taxi's on NH1(I drive this highway very frequently to go to Ludhiana), but hardly any Safari Taxi.

On the reliability front, well if we go by hard numbers the safari definitely has more problems, but calling those a deal breaker would be extreme.

anyways, as I said before, the past few pages have been pointless. What everyone would really like to hear is why you like A better than B, not why you hate B more than A.
Hope you get the point.
We mods don't like handling infractions and deleting posts.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:18   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Tanveer, brilliantly said & thanks also for pasting that portion which just about sums it up very well.

OT: The Endeavour is whipping the CRV & the Captiva is catching up fast. Lol

(Now, I'm really outta this thread, I promise!)

Last edited by suman : 6th June 2008 at 12:26.
suman is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:26   #203
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Tanveer, that was a post most worthy of a moderator. Just brilliant. I was not here to do a Scorpio bashing. I was entitled to speak my mind and I did. Now I too am out of here.
SumitB is online now  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:37   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 333
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Tanveer thats the best post of the thread. It is always a matter of personal choice. Though I dont own a Scorpio or Safari, there are two Safaries in my family a Safari Dicor 3.0 and one VTT 2.2 and I love this beast.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 6th June 2008 at 12:39.
Car-Agey is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 12:50   #205
adc
Senior - BHPian
 
adc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,346
Thanked: 2,100 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What everyone would really like to hear is why you like A better than B, not why you hate B more than A.
Hope you get the point.
We mods don't like handling infractions and deleting posts.

Oh man thanks a lot from me, that post has been like a face saving post for this forum - yeah it was becoming that bad. Everyone was guilty of provoking and being provoked - the post count was like shooting up for each member.

Firmly believe in "To Each His Own" and happy trucking whatever it be as long as it an SUV [me a total SUV[for me Safari]/Jeep [for me Gurkha] fanboy/fanman]


PS: When will the bickering end for sure? When Toyota Fortuner comes out at a price point of Innova - in fact in Thailand it is slightly lower AFAIK and then we can all change over - but then it will never happen over here and the Safari-Scorpio mudslingling will live for ever

Last edited by adc : 6th June 2008 at 13:00.
adc is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 13:00   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Thanks TSK
Fully and wholeheartedly appreciate your post in its entirety and even more so, appreciate the SPECIFIC stuff below!
In a spirit of Sportsmanship I state unequivocally that I agree to what you've said and stand by the spirit of TBHP as far as telling the truth about your own experiences goes.
Also I would like to stay away from this reactive style of posting opinions.
I do hope the other chaps too, would be good enough to concede and abstain.
cheers


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Now the eternal question of this thread which is better.
Of course the Safari is better?
Why?
Because thats my opinion and I am entitled to it.

I hope you are getting the point.
So all this slanging matches with each other you guys are having are pointless.
No matter how many hells break loose, Suman and Steer will never concede that Safari is inferior to Scorpio.
And ditto for Mr. Shankar Balan, and other scorpio fans.

So All this argument is more of a opinion game rather than a fact game.
A love for a vehicle is a matter of the heart and logic has no place in it.

Guys when posting something this objective, please post facts.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 13:17   #207
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Tanveer, may I please ask a 'personal' question?
Of course you need not answer it.

"How come you are not a 'distinguished' BHPian?
Is there somewhere where we can vote to make it happen?"
anupmathur is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 13:21   #208
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 333
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Tanveer, may I please ask a 'personal' question?
Of course you need not answer it.

"How come you are not a 'distinguished' BHPian?
Is there somewhere where we can vote to make it happen?"

Because he is a Moderator

Last edited by Car-Agey : 6th June 2008 at 13:22.
Car-Agey is offline  
Old 6th June 2008, 13:32   #209
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,752
Thanked: 4,345 Times
Default

@TSK, the figures you have posted should put an end to some pointless discussion that's been getting subjective of late. May be it's time we focus our energies elsewhere.

Another way to look at it would be - the figures dont really prove anything since the Scorp figures are for the Scorp family (incl the M2DI), and the Safari for the Safari family.

The two have different price ranges. The Scorp's price range is lower - also making it more affordable. This point will definitely count for the taxi segment. For those who have not noticed it, lots of operators in the employee transportation area are going in for Scorp's. This is also contributing to the higher figures that the Scorp enjoys.

Quote:
anupmathur : "How come you are not a 'distinguished' BHPian?
Because he's a Mod.
condor is online now  
Old 6th June 2008, 14:02   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

you're right on this - i see quite a few employee transportation companies buying scorps to replace their elderly sumo's and other vehicles.

also, just for Interest BIAL (New BLR Airport) has bought around 50 Getaways from Vijai Auto Bangalore, for their Ground Operations usage. Slightly modified with roll cages and some with a locally fabricated rear deck cover etc and all of them are painted Hi Vis Bright Yellow!

so actually your point is borne out - since the Scorp has more variants than the Safari per se.

Even comparing "like to like" - Scorpio 2.2 Crde vs Safari 2.2 VTT - for the period say Jan 08 onwards till date. The data would be slightly skewed because the Safari VTT always had more variants available than the Scorp 2.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The two have different price ranges. The Scorp's price range is lower - also making it more affordable. This point will definitely count for the taxi segment. For those who have not noticed it, lots of operators in the employee transportation area are going in for Scorp's.
shankar.balan is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Battle: Mahindra XUV500 vs Mahindra Scorpio vs Hyundai Creta a4anurag SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 31 25th August 2016 02:33
Contemplation Concluded With TATA Safari Winning the battle over famous Scorpio sivadeep Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 2 4th January 2011 17:38
Need Advice: New Safari 2.2 LX VTT or Safari 2008 3.0 Top Model? alexnazim SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 150 1st December 2009 11:20
Owner feedback requested - Tata Safari 2.2 DICOR VTT and M&M Scorpio mHawk cool_dube SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 6 14th October 2009 10:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks