Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Pick your beast
Safari DICOR 2.2 317 78.08%
Scorpio mHawk 2.2 89 21.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2007, 18:15   #76
Senior - BHPian

TSK, I think its best you pick up the manual & read the table - else we will keep having theoretical discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So they say that if your speed falls below 60kmph only then change to 4th.
So lets say I am cruising at 90, I slow down to 65, then again accelerate. All the while I am in 5th gear.
I will get vibrations. The vibrations in 5th go only above 70, I guess it may have been one off with a TD vehicle
And I don't agree with your theory - the downshift is during deceleration, you cannot use the same yardstick while picking up speed again. You can check out the table in the Manual

Quote:
Regarding 100kmph, it means that on highways where speed varies between 80-90 you will always drive in 4th gear and never 5th.
You are welcome to change at 80-85, there won't be any vibrations at that speed. The manual "recommends", doesn't make it mandatory........

Quote:
I think 100kmph is the max speed during runin.
100 km/h is coincidentally also the maximum speed during running in. But (I'm sorry to sound like a cracked record), if you read the manual, there are different tables for running in speeds & post running in speeeds.....and yes, there are different thresholds for 2H/4H & 4L

Quote:
The DICOR 3.0 will be at 2500rpm in 4th at 100, close to redline
Maybe, but how does that matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
bad-mouthing sans any ownership or testdrive only leads to the conclusion of this site becoming a marketing tool of a few cars.
Spot on my friend - works both ways, doesn't it?

Last edited by suman : 7th December 2007 at 18:20.
Old 7th December 2007, 18:28   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
suman : Just rechecked my Manual & it says 100 km/h for Upshift from 4th to 5th & 60 km/h (same as the 2.2) for Downshifts; this is pretty much in line with what I've been doing.
Basically, this method will allow you to get into respective gear in the smoothest possible way. If I downshift from 5th at a speed higher than 60, then the transition will not be smooth - the engine will have to suddenly run at a higher speed. Hence, the instruction to let the speed fall further before you downshift.
Old 7th December 2007, 19:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

There is no sticker on the windshield but the figures which I posted earlier were from the 2.2 manual only i.e. upshift(4-5) is at 90km/h whereas downshift (5-4) at 60km/h.

Quote:
A question here dadu.
The indica has a sticker on top right indicating 2 gearshift speeds
1. Maximum speed for each gear during runin
2. Recommended speed for shifting for good FE.
Does the 2.2 have that?
Could you check the manual for recommended upshift speeds(not max speeds in runin, but good FE speeds).
IIRC for 3.0 the upshift from 4th to 5th was around 60kmph
Old 7th December 2007, 19:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

No it was not, the owner was already using quality fuel, M&M removed one cable later(as told to owner, we will never know the real problem) which cured the problem, so they are also on the learning curve.

Anyways I dont believe in letting others down to hide ones own weaknesses. There are strong & weak point for both TATA & M&M.

Quote:
one guy told me that they have found similar kind of issue with some other customers also (CRDe) this is due to impurity in fuel, they suggest to fill the tank with Super Diesel or Reliance Diesel, I told them, I haven’t used normal diesel so far and always insist on Super Diesel, then they said it might happen if there is water content on the fuel, they told me to empty the tank and fill the tank from another pump (lots of pump doesn’t provide good fuel). I filled the tank and went for another drive, and it again happened to me again, I called them up and they told me to bring the vehicle for inspection. Later, I was told by a service engineer that Mahindra has done some thing in Scorpio to recycle the fuel (don’t know the details, please forgive), they just unplugged that thing (its like a wiring with a plug just under the bonnet below the front glass)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
That was a diesel quality problem on the crde engine.

bad-mouthing sans any ownership or testdrive only leads to the conclusion of this site becoming a marketing tool of a few cars.

Last edited by dadu : 7th December 2007 at 19:09.
Old 11th December 2007, 16:50   #80

Voted for the Safari.

Been following the Safari posts for quite a while, which has given me some confidence to think about buying one. But everyone in my circle of friends advice against even thinking of a Safari.

Tata should do something about the quality front, I guess some one should send a team-bhp forum invite to Mr.Tata.

May be pretty soon I might have the confidence to go in for one.
Old 11th December 2007, 17:36   #81
BHPian

Having not driven either of them, my vote goes to Safari for the VFM it offers. The name hawk and the hawk-head badge on the engine cover, didn't help Mahindra either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJACS View Post
Been following the Safari posts for quite a while, which has given me some confidence to think about buying one. But everyone in my circle of friends advice against even thinking of a Safari.
Why dont you take the plunge? If you are as lucky as most of the people here, you will have to visit the workshop a couple of times to fix minor issues. If you are not, you will learn a thing or two about automobile engineering
Old 12th December 2007, 15:41   #82
BHPian

Comparing the predecessors, with out second thought my vote is for the Mahindra. Both of them are not at all head turners as mentioned here & If that is the intention, then you have to be really creative. The throttle response of the Scorpio is not comparable with any cars in that segment (IMHO) & 5th gear on 60kmph is no big deal here. I dont require much space as i drive alone mostly & the last row is fully removed (Thanks to JBL). Not forgeting the poor Steering response & handling - but for me the car is the complete package. I even used to forget the pathetic after sales service (Nightmare) of Scorpio when i drive it.

But this hawk disappointed me in all parameters compared to the VTT. My vote is for safari.

Last edited by mansidea : 12th December 2007 at 15:49. Reason: *** - After sales service
Old 13th December 2007, 17:51   #83
BHPian

I guess I would vote for the Safari.....
Old 14th December 2007, 17:09   #84
BHPian

I dont know, both of them suck according to me.

I just cant create a liking for the TATA Safari even though the new engine is great, it just looks moderately good to ugly and the Scorpio is down right cheap looking and priced far more than it is worth.

At the moment i wont pick both.

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 14th December 2007 at 17:10.
Old 14th December 2007, 18:04   #85
Senior - BHPian

I voted with my eyes closed.. I do hope the Americans like the Scorpio at least
Old 17th December 2007, 18:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I dont know, both of them suck according to me.

I just cant create a liking for the TATA Safari even though the new engine is great, it just looks moderately good to ugly and the Scorpio is down right cheap looking and priced far more than it is worth.

At the moment i wont pick both.
What else are the options in that price band?
Old 18th December 2007, 04:54   #87
BHPian

I'd definitely go with the Safari. 140 bhp and way better looking. And I trust Tata more then M&M.
Old 18th December 2007, 15:24   #88
BHPian

I vote for the Safari. Although I have not had too great an experience with their dealers and service guys, the product is something that you cannot but just LOVE.
Old 18th December 2007, 16:43   #89
BHPian

The amount of anticipation, expectation and excitement that the launch of 2.2 Safari had/has created, the launch of Hawk is not even a drop in the ocean. That is quite evident atleast on this forum. I guess that says it all. Do you still need a poll for it!!?? Safari is the undisputed KING.
Old 18th December 2007, 20:58   #90
BHPian

Safari has to lead and win over Scorpio!
Let's face the facts- Safari IS more comfortable than a Scorpio. Not only for the driver but also for the passengers.
Closed Thread