Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2007, 00:03   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
SRV is quite a long hatch. So the cabin space extends from front dash to rear window. This gives the impression of being roomy, like an Estate car. For sedans, the rear window ends at C-pillar and the boot extends beyound that. So the cabin space is less than that of an Estate.
There is no logic in what you are trying to say. Go and sit in a Octavia and then in a Octavia Combi or Indigo & Indigo Marina and you will know that being a hatch, sedan or estate of the same vehicle means same interiors space.

BTW have you driven the SRV.

And those pics are nice thanks for sharing, if you can find more SRV pics, please email me. Thanks
BUSA is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 00:28   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Guys,
i find a bunch of people here who are pro honda..come on...everybody likes a winner!. Do you have any idea about the crap honda is dishing out here with the city? I had seen an accident recently on the expressway and the entire frontal area had collapsed in the so called NHC!..dont wanna bore you with tech jargon but this frontal collapse shows a total lack of engery absorbtion with regard to an offset frontal crash..the SRV and optra i'd say are the best built cars in India after the skodas. The pliancy and stability of these cars at high speeds and their crashworthiness match up with the best in india(sub 10 lacs of course).

The Fabia of course will be a great car to buy, but if the SRV comes out with a diesel( i really really doubt this) then it will be a killer car to drive!
sudarshansarma is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 00:29   #93
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
BTW have you driven the SRV.
though this question wasnt meant for me,but i would still like to answer it.yes,i own a nhc vtec,so before you say that im being biased,ill accept it.who wouldnt.whoever has bought a car will defend that particular model,thus,you see threads like accent vs baleno,baleno vs ohv,palio ves swift etc.
i agree the nhc(im talking about the idsi) isnt a perfect car...actually there is no such thing as a perfect car,but it is marketed and sold keeping in mind the parameters it was designed for.it was designed purely to be a city car which an accomodate 5 people with ease,hence the cab forward design which so many people find ugly.it was meant to turn easily,thus the extra light steering which is often criticisedon highways and high speeds.it was meant to be a stress free commuter car for a working professional who wants to travel long distances(within the confines of a city),deliver high f.e.,be light and nimble.you dont see stupid monikers from honda like "sports blah blah vehicle".they have advertised it as a city car,hence the name.now if you start talking about performance,drifting?????,ftd,you will obviously not get it because it was never designed for it.and thats why they are selling in huge numbers-cos Honda has given the car a specific usp.and if you talk about performance,if the 77bhp NHC is slower than a 101bhp SRV(sports recreational vehicle) by 2 sec(as you claim),doesnt say much about the sports part in the SRV,does it??
Why the SRV is not selling and will never sell is because the marketing and the product are diametrically opposite.yes,i have driven the SRV-and to be honest it wasnt special,the gearing being vague.
So when you talk about comparing nhc and srv,please keep in mind that Honda is delvering what it promised of its product-efficient,spacious and reliable unlike GM trying to sell the srv as a sports recreational vehicle.

And why should every car sold on this planet be FTD??shouldn't there be a car which you can drive peacefully from office to home or in maddening traffic without thinking about bhp,cornering speeds etc!!
for the FTD cars look no further than the palio,swift or the ikon.

Last edited by hellspawn : 8th December 2007 at 00:34.
hellspawn is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 00:36   #94
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

For your post, all I can do is
May I lead you into this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ndia-pics.html

Check out what all cars are smashed up. Also don't forget get see the pic of a Skoda split into 2. So even Skoda dishes out crap.
Since every car involved in a crash are smashed up, all cars are crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshansarma View Post
Guys,
i find a bunch of people here who are pro honda..come on...everybody likes a winner!. Do you have any idea about the crap honda is dishing out here with the city? I had seen an accident recently on the expressway and the entire frontal area had collapsed in the so called NHC!..dont wanna bore you with tech jargon but this frontal collapse shows a total lack of engery absorbtion with regard to an offset frontal crash..the SRV and optra i'd say are the best built cars in India after the skodas. The pliancy and stability of these cars at high speeds and their crashworthiness match up with the best in india(sub 10 lacs of course).

The Fabia of course will be a great car to buy, but if the SRV comes out with a diesel( i really really doubt this) then it will be a killer car to drive!

Last edited by diabloo : 8th December 2007 at 00:54.
diabloo is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 00:37   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

hellspawn i have very very clearly mentioned the Vtec to be in a different ball game, There is no comparission with the NHC Vtec and SRV. It was only with the IDSi version.

Exactly what i want to say that NHC is not perfect but Mr. Diabloo is hell bent on arguing over that fact.

BTW Sports Vechiles dont need to be fast in a straght line, they should be FTD, and should have good driving position and handling. The best sports car in India south of 20 Lacs is the vRS, though it hardly sells, you cant deny that a vRS is not as good as a Accord. When a person spends 10 Lakh rupees on a car, he she doesnot just buy the car for highways or just Cities. The NHC feels out of breath in speeds excess of 120. Cross winds upset the poise of the car. So basically as long as the car is slow it is good. Best kept below 80. Since driving at speeds of 120kmph give it FE of not more then 11kpml.

diabloo - have you ever seen NHCs turning upside down. Just do a search and you will know.

Now lets get back to topic please.

Last edited by BUSA : 8th December 2007 at 00:45.
BUSA is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 00:39   #96
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 1,471
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

hellspawn is talking about IDSI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
i agree the nhc(im talking about the idsi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
hellspawn i have very very clearly mentioned the Vtec to be in a different ball game, There is no comparission with the NHC Vtec and SRV. It was only with the IDSi version.
Thats the point. NHC is lame, laid back sedan, which never wakes up. SRV is the dashing, stylish thing which would give you a high. Alas, NHC is just 2 seconds slower !! Does it say about the performance of NHC or about lack of performance of SRV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
if the 77bhp NHC is slower than a 101bhp SRV(sports recreational vehicle) by 2 sec(as you claim),doesnt say much about the sports part in the SRV,does it??

Last edited by diabloo : 8th December 2007 at 00:47.
diabloo is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 00:48   #97
BHPian
 
sidd_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Goa-London
Posts: 138
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Maruti Baleno. Suzuki SX4, Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta. Thats almost the whole segment.



Yes, certainly and they will. Atleast GM management gets the price right better then what Honda does. 10Lakhs for a NHC is the biggest robbery of the millenium. I mean 10lakhs for a 1.5L engine is pure



Toyota Corolla has sold more then 35million, thats the best car in the world according to your fantastic logic.

BTW you work for Honda or have a crazy obsession about Honda, cause all your posts show the same thing.
This is how NHC V-tec came into the pic. You yourself dragged it in. No i-dsi is sold for 10lacs its only the V-tec with options.
sidd_city is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 01:14   #98
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
When a person spends 10 Lakh rupees on a car, he she doesnot just buy the car for highways or just Cities.
Agreed.but then the srv isnt really a playa' in the city with its vague gearbox,is it?and doesnt feel as nimble as a nhc in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
The NHC feels out of breath in speeds excess of 120. Cross winds upset the poise of the car. So basically as long as the car is slow it is good. Best kept below 80. Since driving at speeds of 120kmph give it FE of not more then 11kpml.
And the srv feels like its struggling in the city as it have very poor low rpm torque and the gearbox doesn't make things better.And how often do you drive at 120kmph.90% of the times you would be driving below 80kmph and the remaining 10% is when you can probably drive at 120kmph.

and when a highly fuel efficient car like nhc at 120kmph gives 11kmpl,can you imagine what the fuel guzzling srv will return at the same speeds...im guessing probably 4-5kmpl(since it anyway returns 8-9kmpl in the city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
diabloo - have you ever seen NHCs turning upside down. Just do a search and you will know.
well we wont be able to see upside down srv's since none were sold

and i have also seen a lot of upside down octavia vrs's...does that mean they also handle pathetically.That is a driver's problem not the cars inherent design problem.
and if you are talking about crosswinds upsetting the car,i wonder why innova owners don't complain(looking purely from a tall boy look aspect..if thats what you mean)

Last edited by hellspawn : 8th December 2007 at 01:21.
hellspawn is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 01:28   #99
BHPian
 
sidd_city's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Goa-London
Posts: 138
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

didn't face any such issues really when I did 140(i-DSI). Though Its not the fastest car to get there. But then like I said its not meant to be a performance oriented vehicle and compared to a hatch which is termed as a so called sports oriented vehicle and rip the customers for over 8lacs Just by calling it S-R-V why not buy the Aveo1.6 instead which atleast has a boot and almost same performance?
sidd_city is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 01:35   #100
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd_city View Post
why not buy the Aveo1.6 instead which atleast has a boot and almost same performance?
you'd be better off buying a fiat palio 1.6 or a swift at 5lacs compared to a srv if you are really looking for FTD.
Now if the srv was putting out 150bhp and was super quick,then the car would be justifiable.but 100 bhp which is now passe' (even smaller hatchs are nearing that figure) is not at all justifiable.
the SRV just doesnt seem to be VFM.it doesn't do anything well.performance,straight line speed,handling,space are all mediocre.
its a jack of all trades,master of none.
hellspawn is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 01:42   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
That is a driver's problem not the cars inherent design problem.
Thats what you should make diabloo understand.

Quote:
and if you are talking about crosswinds upsetting the car,i wonder why innova owners don't complain(looking purely from a tall boy look aspect..if thats what you mean)
I am not talking wrt looks. Its a fact that NHC is not stable and gets upset by cross winds. If going by your logic, Swift is taller then NHC then it will be more upset by cross winds which is not the case.

Doesnot SRV have more torque then the City. Anyways i rest my case here, no use further arguing which car is better. Both cars are for different purposes and serve it well.
BUSA is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 01:52   #102
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Thats what you should make diabloo understand.
bu you were the one who originally posted "search for upside turned nhc's".


Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
I am not talking wrt looks. Its a fact that NHC is not stable and gets upset by cross winds. If going by your logic, Swift is taller then NHC then it will be more upset by cross winds which is not the case.
What makes you think that the nhc is not stable at high speed?.i presumed that you would be applying the logic that since the nhc looks tall,it will be affected by crosswinds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Doesnot SRV have more torque then the City. Anyways i rest my case here, no use further arguing which car is better. Both cars are for different purposes and serve it well.
yes the the srv has more torque but rather than going by the figure,you should see at what rpm does the peak torque kick in.in the srv's case,its around 4500 or 5500(not sure) whereas in the nhc,peak torque comes in at 2700rpm.so whatever gear you are in,just step on the gas and the car pulls cleanly
hellspawn is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 02:19   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,178
Thanked: 2,357 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
What makes you think that the nhc is not stable at high speed?.i presumed that you would be applying the logic that since the nhc looks tall,it will be affected by crosswinds.
The answer to this would be the steering which although is a boon in the city but as speeds build up it fails to provide feedback and weigh up appropriately. Thats what gives it the unstable feeling only, but the car itself isn't unstable even beyond 140. But the car (especially the V-tec) does provide some jittery moments while braking suddenly from high speeds.
1100D is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 02:40   #104
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The answer to this would be the steering which although is a boon in the city but as speeds build up it fails to provide feedback and weigh up appropriately. Thats what gives it the unstable feeling only, but the car itself isn't unstable even beyond 140. But the car (especially the V-tec) does provide some jittery moments while braking suddenly from high speeds.
yes,the steering is light at high speeds but the car isnt unstable as BUSA mentioned.and i guess its more to do with getting used to the steering feel.for eg.in the ikon where you might have to apply 'x' force to turn the steering feel by 5degrees to the left,you would have to apply force 'x/3' to turn the same amount.
and i can easily overlook the steering feel at high speeds if i keep the car between 100-120kmph on the highways.below that speed,the nhc gives amazing mileage to the tune of 17-18(im talkiing about the vtec)
hellspawn is offline  
Old 8th December 2007, 02:59   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,178
Thanked: 2,357 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
i can easily overlook the steering feel at high speeds if i keep the car between 100-120kmph on the highways.
Steering feel (Comprising of two separate things 1> off-centre weight 2> the roadgrip/surface feedback thru steering vibrations) cannot be ignored at that speed. Infact safe speed for every road is calculated by the mind based on what the car communicates to the driver. But if the car fails to communicate a certain parameter, it is never so safe in the event of a sudden evasive manouvre or even driving enthusiastically.

But if you said you could ignore steering feel say below 70, I would probably agree.

Last edited by 1100D : 8th December 2007 at 03:02.
1100D is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audi India launches cut price, A4 Celebration Edition sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 32 24th November 2013 13:36
HM joins the fleet, declares price cut on all models throttleking The Indian Car Scene 5 10th December 2008 16:12
Price cut by Hyundai on Santro Surprise The Indian Car Scene 24 15th July 2005 00:10
What price price-cut ? meerkat The Indian Car Scene 9 25th February 2005 16:35
City Rover a.k.a. Tata Indica - Price Cut GTO The Indian Car Scene 5 23rd December 2004 18:37


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks