Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd January 2005, 13:37   #16
BHPian

I learnt on my own in Bombay, no help provided. All I learnt from a friend was when you press the accelerator, when you use the clutch, brake etc, and basically when you change the gears.

I observed my dad & uncles drive the cars we had in our family.

When I had gone to take a test 1989 February. My friends who had taken the driving test had told me that I will be asked certain questions from the BMV Act, (Bombay motor vehicles act ), now renamed as the CMV central motor vehicles act or something.

I had to mug three pages of the rule book. On the test day, the RTO officer (proper 3 star officer) took my test, asked me to take the car out of the RTO Mumbai compound and take a test right upto Wellingdon Club. He asked me to stop, overtake and reverse into a parking area. Then he asked me to stop midway through the test and asked me questions from the sections of the Bombay Motor Vehicles act. I replied correctly to all but one of the eight questions.

I got my licence.

Those moments were nail biting moments for me. Great fun when I got my licence.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 17:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Am still 17 so haven' had any encounters with a driving school yet. But i learnt most of the driving from playing Gran Turismo on the playstation. And with the games becoming more and more realistic, i think this is the way to go. And don't they have simulators at certain driving schools?
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote