Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2007, 22:25   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,034
Thanked: 1,470 Times
Default

Does this mean Skoda really want to be associated with the masses ?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 22:28   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
ramie2400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,900
Thanked: 58 Times
Default

I was waiting to buy the Fabia till it launched,but then dropped the idea,as its going to be expensive hatch,the car will be new in the market and success/flop stories/rewiews will release after a couple of months,and some how i wasnt liking the shape of the new fabia after seeing a Test mule on road...!!!
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 22:36   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
veyron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

8 lacs? For an underpowered hatch?

Here's food for thought. Do you think the Fabia can correct the wrongs of the SRV?

Unless powered by the 150 hp 4 pot....I don't think so.
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 22:54   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 124
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

We've been hearing quite a lot about the service issues on Skoda's and their exhorbitant prices for spare parts, so not sure how this would work out for Fabia. Looking at the engine options listed here, none of them seem to excite very much.

7 odd for a hatch similar to what SRV was priced at and we know what happened to that.

It going to be a tough struggle in the diesel hatch segment for Fabia with people spoilt for choices with Swift D, Getz D, Palio D(MJD), new Indica.
thangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 23:07   #35
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ERNAKULAM
Posts: 947
Thanked: 317 Times
Default European cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
If the prices are correct then this would be the cheapest European car to Buy in India
Is not the FIAT an Italian company like the Skoda is a Czeck company?
Has Italy broken away from the European union?
Is not the Palio still manufactured/assembled in India?
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 23:08   #36
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
If you feel it lacks power, Get it peted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerish666 View Post
Busa 90bhp with tuning box.It can remap to 100bhp and petes have that.Top end wont be 8.5lacs,less than that around 7.5lacs OTR.
wouldnt somebody rather buy the getz crdi and get it peted...
it may be built real well,rides well and has all the features but hello ...8lacs for a hatch.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 23:11   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Ridiculing Skoda ? On the highways of Kerala (and even TN), all you see are Skodas. We are actually worshipping it, atleast in the south.
They should be worshipped as they are Solid, but then at those prices we want them to be badged as a VW rather than a Skoda, again we want different engines in some cases, we dont want them to sell Octavia at its launch price with its recent iteration selling in a segment above. Nothing against the cars but the way they manage their India initiative.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 23:31   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
They should be worshipped as they are Solid, but then at those prices we want them to be badged as a VW rather than a Skoda, again we want different engines in some cases, we dont want them to sell Octavia at its launch price with its recent iteration selling in a segment above. Nothing against the cars but the way they manage their India initiative.
But bottomline is that this strategy has worked for them. And people compaining on power, please undertsand that it is not always what most the buyers want. Remember how we all discounted Laura before/after its launch but it had the sales chart in green for them and it is success model for India. Skoda is now regarded as a premium brand to most Indians (well auto educated or not). Skoda is simply trying to capitalise on this and target customers who want a solid feeling hatch loaded with a little gizmos and a brand value attached to it.

I personally feel that any Skoda is a much expensive car, but everyone has different requirements. If everything always boiled down to power, comfort and handling, Palio 1.6 would have been a runaway success. Whatver we say, whether it was ahead of its times, bad dealership n/w or low FE, the reality it is that it flopped and even the new Stile is not a success comparing to the sales of its compititors.

Finally lets wait and watch.

Last edited by dipen : 20th December 2007 at 23:32.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2007, 23:56   #39
BHPian
 
jerish666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum,Kochi,Trissur
Posts: 757
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
But bottomline is that this strategy has worked for them. And people compaining on power, please undertsand that it is not always what most the buyers want. Remember how we all discounted Laura before/after its launch but it had the sales chart in green for them and it is success model for India. Skoda is now regarded as a premium brand to most Indians (well auto educated or not). Skoda is simply trying to capitalise on this and target customers who want a solid feeling hatch loaded with a little gizmos and a brand value attached to it.

I personally feel that any Skoda is a much expensive car, but everyone has different requirements. If everything always boiled down to power, comfort and handling, Palio 1.6 would have been a runaway success. Whatver we say, whether it was ahead of its times, bad dealership n/w or low FE, the reality it is that it flopped and even the new Stile is not a success comparing to the sales of its compititors.

Finally lets wait and watch.
Can i ask you one thing?If the Swift VDI fitted with MSD,ABS,Sunroof,Music system,Parking sensors and all other features what Fabia has now, then what will be the price?They will also quote the same price like Fabia.So why we simply arguing about the price.

Last edited by jerish666 : 20th December 2007 at 23:58.
jerish666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 00:14   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
veyron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,426
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIPEN
And people compaining on power, please undertsand that it is not really what most the buyers want.
Actually, it's not just the power front. Skoda faced unexpected, yet runaway success in the D segment due to lack of competition. There are no other diesel variants in that segment. Had the Accord/Civic diesels or the Camry/Corolla diesels been launched at competitive prices, Skoda would've bitten dust. Literally.

When it comes to upper B segmenters, it's a different ball game altogether. Yes, Skoda is synonymous with fuel efficiency & build quality in India (as of now), but when you begin to compete with the likes of Maruti & Hyundai, you better play your cards right...which is why the Palio failed commercially; lack of power had little to do with it....

You need to have a USP when you compete with the masses. Want diesel FE, A.S.S, peace of mind? Maruti. Want outright torque, build quality & space? You have Hyundai. What can Skoda offer in this segment that would guarantee volumes...?

OT; After the much debated launch of the Logan, we all thought TBHP was wrong in predicting the market. After the 60% recent reduction in production & sales, we might not be SO wrong after all..
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 03:10   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,734
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post

You need to have a USP when you compete with the masses. Want diesel FE, A.S.S, peace of mind? Maruti. Want outright torque, build quality & space? You have Hyundai. What can Skoda offer in this segment that would guarantee volumes...?
A Skoda is considered a much better brand than Hyundai and like Jerish mentioned, if the Getz or the Swift were loaded with all the features of the Fabia Im sure they would be expensive too. We all complain about how the Swift D and Getz D dont have any safety features and now that the Fabia apparently has all safety features shouldnt we be happy?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 03:11   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,734
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
8 lacs? For an underpowered hatch?

Here's food for thought. Do you think the Fabia can correct the wrongs of the SRV?

Unless powered by the 150 hp 4 pot....I don't think so.
How much power did the Octavia have? Wasnt it a success? Im not sure if the average buyer really has power on the top of his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
wouldnt somebody rather buy the getz crdi and get it peted...
it may be built real well,rides well and has all the features but hello ...8lacs for a hatch.
I believe the Getz CRDi is 6.5 lakhs on road and doesnt have the Skoda badge, European build quality ABS, EBD, Sunroof Parking Sensors and a Music System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Does this mean Skoda really want to be associated with the masses ?
The masses would rather buy a Fiesta or a Verna.

Last edited by ported_head : 21st December 2007 at 03:18. Reason: Please use EDIT when posting within 20 minutes.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 04:26   #43
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Fabia, seems like an expensive hatch for rich boys and gals to park with their Octys and Lauries.

Those who are faithful to the name SKODA, if looking for a small car and have the money for it, will definitely buy a FaBia. More than that, I don't see a first time new car buyer or an automobile enthusiast going for this Skoda product.
Am I completely wrong?
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 04:41   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Fabia, seems like an expensive hatch for rich boys and gals to park with their Octys and Lauries.

Those who are faithful to the name SKODA, if looking for a small car and have the money for it, will definitely buy a FaBia. More than that, I don't see a first time new car buyer or an automobile enthusiast going for this Skoda product.
Am I completely wrong?
How many times have you been?!
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2007, 08:01   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,944
Thanked: 16,627 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Those who are faithful to the name SKODA, if looking for a small car and have the money for it, will definitely buy a FaBia.
I rather doubt it.

My friend who another Team-Bhp'ian has mentioned in this thread earlier, has a Skoda. Now wanted to sell his Swift for Fabia. I had even posted for that Swift in the market section. A Skoda- fan, actually!

After a TD (Please don't ask how and which dealer) and hearing the pricing, they've very generously dropped the idea.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally finally finally finally... s4ch Introduce yourself 3 29th March 2012 19:44
The 'Much Awaited' Vento Tdi Highline - The story naveen.raju Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 170 19th February 2012 10:05
My much awaited new Swift VDi (ABS) hsegOY Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 14 24th August 2010 23:55
Confusion: much awaited bike rebuild or a trek with buddies- please help to decide somspaple Shifting gears 7 2nd September 2009 17:03
The much awaited New Accent. v12 The Indian Car Scene 2 8th April 2004 17:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks