Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th February 2008, 22:46   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

we need to give the key for uel

My brain didn't even notice the missing 'F'!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 00:30   #722
BHPian

Default Cant wait to get my Dirt in

Ok, I must embarassingly admit that i was waiting for the fabia and my purchase decision was sealed pretty much!..i even opened my big mouth and told half the world that i was gonna pick one up!..unfortunately when i heard the pricing i was shocked. Its not a question of being affordable or not, but its just that it doesnt make sense even to people who want high end features in a hatch. Yes, its got parking sensors..thats 4500 bucks a piece at a very very professional place in Bombay. Heated mirrors? Umm...they dont work in our rains, Projector headlamps? Try those after market ones that look really cool with LED's on the swift. They are durable and give a good spread of light. What is shocking is the audacity of skoda dealers for 1. Charging a premium and 2. not giving any finance discount when the real reason for the shortage of cars is a strike at the Aurangabad plant. If you ask me the ultimate diesel in India now is the Optra TCDi but the ultimate diesel under 6 lacs is the swift.

I am shocked that skoda thinks the indian customer is a fool to pay so much for a car that resembles a swift. What is even more surprising is all that praise being heaped on it for being well built. Have you seen the plastic quality on the stereo? Or the stalks? They are appaling. Yeah if you compare them to a swift they would be better, but at this price compare the interiors to an Aveo, Verna, or even the NHC, and you'll see what i'm talking about.

They brought us the Octavia, the RS, the Laura and now THIS??!!..god help us!
sudarshansarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 02:37   #723
BHPian

honestly whats all the fuss about i find the swift looks much better than a fabia i have seen 5 fabias so far in my place 2 red 1 white and 1 black they look so plain except for the black 1 (that can be explained i think black looks good on any car)
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 10:48   #724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
honestly whats all the fuss about i find the swift looks much better than a fabia i have seen 5 fabias so far in my place 2 red 1 white and 1 black they look so plain except for the black 1 (that can be explained i think black looks good on any car)
The catch here is not the looks but the build quality. Swifts build quality is horrible to say the least, my friend's swift rolled forward (handbrake off) on a very slight incline only to just abt nudge a small pillar head on from the right hand side. Left him with broken bumper clips on the right hand side and a slight dent in the front fender!
Not to say that its reasonably priced, fabia indeed is over priced for sure.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 14:28   #725
RMB
BHPian

Just got a chance to see the fabis close up, no test drive though. It was displayed in office.

Prices stated on road Bangalore by the sales guy:
7.56L Classic
8.51L Ambiente
9.13L Elegente

Exterior:
The display model was Classic in light blue color. Its looks quite small from outside but is big when you sit inside. The body is very well build and is solid. The roof and doors feel very solid. The design is very elegent but unexciting. The headlight and tail lamp look good though.

Interior:
The all black interior is very dull as per me and looks boring. The design also is very boring. The door open latch looked horribly of low quality plastic. It will come off you if you yank it. The steering is meaty and adjutable for reach and rake. The front seats are not as comfortable as my swift. The gear shift is very smooth and has short throw. The reverse is unique, you need to press the lever down and slot as you would do to first gear. Very cool..The quality of the gear know is again horrible. It has two glovebox, one with cooling faclity. It had inbuild cd, mp3 player and temp control AC. The legroom at the rear is very good (better than Getz I feel), but the width is nothing great. The seats are comfortable. The sales guy told me that with Height adjustable seats in ambiente onwards, the rear passenger can put his feet under the front seat and get more stretching space.

The boot is very big, easily bigger thans anything in the class.

I was thinking of my decission to buy the Swift VDi. No regrets for not waiting for fabia. I like the swift design and interior better plus saved on the purchase. Though the build quality and safety is less.
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 15:26   #726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quite a few fabia's....but they have not moved from where they were last week where as the Laura's there last week seem to moved except for a couple of LnK's. Heard a diesel Fabia start up - sounded like a Tata Ace IMHO
And a lot of them still have not moved. plenty of them sitting in service bays awaiting delivery during my visit today. If there were a lot of Fabia's on the road, I would be convinced it is selling well but I have only seen one on the road over the past week. As for the new Laura's - they went and more have come
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 15:46   #727
BHPian

Hi,

I think I do not agree with a lot of people who say the swift or getz is better value, as the no. of features and the build and finish quality (other than the ac controls) are way better in the fabia. I think the only drawback to this car is the A.S.S and the current behaviour of the skoda dealers and company....

I went and checked out the car and cam back truly impressed with what I saw. I must add here, that I went to see the petrol and not the deisel. Anyways this is just my opinion and am not writing this to change anyone elses opinion.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 16:28   #728
BHPian

Honda must surprise one and all by bringing in the Jazz soon and set the competition straight!
LandCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 17:30   #729
BHPian

Latest What Car also talks about Fabia while they are all praised for Fabia they have also mentioned about high import content in the car , which in addition to small plant capacity of 20,000 appears to be the main reason behind high price rather than any qbuild quality crap.
amit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 20:02   #730
BHPian

I have seen the car and test driven it. The first thing i noticed was the noise but as soon as you roll up your windows it becomes negligible. The vehicle is very well built and has superb ride quality. The pick up in the car is fine not great but its fine its not underpowered . The car is very responsive and very comfortable to drive. The showroom claimed the average on the test car to be 15 .I think the car over all is good but its a bit pricey.I want to buy the top end diesel but ill wait till the budget.There are talks about the excise and octroi duty cuts so that should affect the price quite a bit . Oh and they are not selling very large numbers because the autobahn showroom has delivered only 3 cars till date . A week back they had 2 silver ones and the guy told me they were for someone but htey are still there so i really dont think they are able to sell the car so my guess is that in another 6 months there should be a price cut on it by at least 30 grand so lets just wait and watch .
Shreyans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 21:17   #731
Senior - BHPian

there's one in my building and I can say that the Ace is quieter than the fabia.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 22:48   #732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first thing i noticed was the noise but as soon as you roll up your windows it becomes negligible.
That is not good enough for me: I like to drive with the windows open as much as possible.

If my interest in the car survives, I will turn to the petrol model.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 22:56   #733
Senior - BHPian

I saw this car at the Autograph Skoda.. on man swift looks much much better than this.the interiors i dont have words to describe they are so boring.. the rear shape looks good.. good space in boot and the front is looks really funny from those headlights and the grille...and the prices were too damn expensive,just took a 5-10mins in the show-room and went off.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 00:00   #734
BHPian

Well, lets see what skoda comes up with. Are they heading for a price cut?..hmm..u never know!
sudarshansarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 00:15   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans View Post
my guess is that in another 6 months there should be a price cut on it by at least 30 grand so lets just wait and watch .
man u must be kidding 30,000 price cut it should be more like 3,00,000
who in his right mind would pay 9.5 lakhs for a hatch a fool and his money are soon parted or should be a rich guy with loads of money and lots of cars and this is just another car for him
dockap is offline   Reply With Quote