Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th January 2008, 13:51   #46
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if the regular unleaded fuel was stopped by Shell nationwide but it seems to be otherwise. There is a shell bunk near my house (in chennai) and they still have regular as well as premium fuels.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 14:29   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I was wondering if the regular unleaded fuel was stopped by Shell nationwide but it seems to be otherwise. There is a shell bunk near my house (in chennai) and they still have regular as well as premium fuels.
@n_aditya; i went to the Shell, vadapalani branch and they said they do not have the regular shell petrol, i then went to indian oil where they said they also don't have regular petrol and had to put 'xtra premium'
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 15:00   #48
BHPian

Again this morning i tanked up from Shell OMR. Shell super is 54.XX now.I was thinking of switching to BP but i thought of filling shell for the last time.I couldnt see too may cabbies and trucks lined up to fill. Too many bikes were there and a few cars as well. When i talked to their manager he has told agreed that stopping of normal fuel impacted their business,but not as they expected.He has told me that they wont sell the normal petrol until crude price come dwon.He has also told me that IOC is going to hike the Xtrapemium price very soon. Now i'm in a delimma whether to continue with Shell or shall i switch to BP/IOC.?
BMW-X5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 15:22   #49
BHPian

Question Whoz Essar ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
Noticed a couple of Essar Fuel pumps in Hyderabad outskirts - on the Jeedimetla - Narsapur highway, after Gandi Maisamma junction, to be precise. Also spotted Essar Fuel bunk on the Nuzvid road, off NH 5 near Vijayawada.

Anyone here used Essar's fuel? If yes, can you provide feedback on Essar's fuel quality, cost etc?
Hearing for the first time. Are these newly establishing ? Or did they exist before?

Quote:
As in my earlier post, Shell seems to have stopped Normal only in Bangalore and even that for only few days probably till there is a global price hike by PSUs. It is still available in Hyderabad, Chennai, Nellore.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 18:32   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenidhibr View Post
I always used Shell (regular) ever since they opened here in Bangalore. Now with only Shell Premium being made available, i am confused whether to continue with Shell or switch over to another pump. My confusion is mainly due to the following questions:

1. What is the difference between shell regular and shell premium fuels? In terms of octane rating and others?
2. Which is the recommended fuel - octane rating - for my car (SX4)?
3. When i travel out-of-town, Shell premium may not be available. So, is there any impact if I occasionally mix regular fuel with shell premium?

Please let me know if you are aware. Thanks.
I too had similar questions, at least about which other petrol pump would be good alternative, hence started this poll http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-who-else.html
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 19:54   #51
Team-BHP Support

For SX4 IOC regular will fill in perfect and yeah once in a while using Premium should help with some cleaning up.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2008, 22:00   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
1. They have extra additives.
2. I think the current standard is 88 RON. If your car hasnt exhibited any knocking while running on normal petrol you dont have to worry.
3. Reliance.
PLEASE read this.

It should convince you that in Euro III cities you get 91RON in regular and not 88RON which is Euro II.

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdf
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 09:06   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the response & info, Guys. I guess it is goodbye to Shell for me also :-(
sreenidhibr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 13:33   #54
Senior - BHPian

I've topped up my car with Shell normal petrol today, and the salesman had no idea that Shell was stopping normal petrol.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 14:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
Hearing for the first time. Are these newly establishing ? Or did they exist before?
I have seen ESSAR outlets many places in Kerala and have filled up from them as well almost an year back. I remember the price was slightly high compared to the normal petrol, but couldn't find any advantages/disadvantages by this brand.
menonrajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 18:30   #56
BHPian

Hi All, the pump attendant handed out this leaflet during my last visit to the Shell pump. Hope it helps in clarifying Shell's stance on providing premium/blended fuels only.

dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 20:23   #57
Senior - BHPian

Ok looks like it happened in chennai too.... although a lil late.

Went to the Shell bunk 2-3 days back and no normal fuel. Only premium petrol and diesel.

Costs INR 51.20 for every liter of premium petrol. Wonder why? It costs INR 48.94 at IOC/BP/HPCL bunks for premium unleaded 91 octane petrol. Plus the octane rating was 91 as per the shell attendant. Something is not right
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 21:40   #58
Senior - BHPian

I was hoping to try out Shell (both regular and premium) once am back in Chennai. Now it looks like I have the only option of Shell Premium.

Also, can someone clarify this for me. I always used BP SPEED when I was in India and the last time I filled up back in 2006, I vaguely remember the price to be INR 51+ for a litre of BP SPEED in Chennai. I was expecting petrol prices to be a little more now after two years but I see that Shell premium retails for INR 51.20 which is not all that bad. Is it that the price hikes have been minimal over the last 2 years or is it that I have my base figures wrong ?

Last edited by rr_zen : 17th January 2008 at 21:46.
rr_zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 21:43   #59
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to the Shell guys today, and they said that Shell normal diesel is not available, but there is no dearth of Shell normal petrol.
Whew, thank God!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2008, 09:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It costs INR 48.94 at IOC/BP/HPCL bunks for premium unleaded 91 octane petrol. Plus the octane rating was 91 as per the shell attendant. Something is not right
Aditya, Shell Fuel was always 91 octane only whether it is normal or super...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote