Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: COTY 2008
Chevrolet Spark 8 3.03%
Hyundai i10 51 19.32%
Mahindra Renault Logan 11 4.17%
Suzuki Grand Vitara 6 2.27%
Suzuki SX4 158 59.85%
Nissan Teana 4 1.52%
VW Passat 12 4.55%
Volvo s80 1 0.38%
Volov xc90 1 0.38%
BMW 3 series 7 2.65%
BMW 5 series 5 1.89%
Voters: 264. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2007, 12:50   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Actually, the Swift DDiS should have been in the poll from the start, along with Getz CRDi, Scorpio mHawk and Safari 2.2.
You can't be so unfair to these cars just because they have a different engine. In driving dynamics, the Swift DDiS is much different from a Petrol Swift, so how can you call it the 'same old car' ?

Look for yourself how many votes the Diesel Swift has got!

Oh if its only about the exterior design only which matters while judging the car of the year, then pardon me.
I completely agree! Any machine which has a new heart is definitely a new car. Only facelifts shall not be considered all-new. When you consider Scorpio Getaway(it is only a pik-up version of the scorpio), you have to consider Swift DDis, Getz CRDi, Safari 2.2, Scorpio mHawk etc...
blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 12:52   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
khanak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mumbai/Toronto
Posts: 2,734
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Actually, the Swift DDiS should have been in the poll from the start, along with Getz CRDi, Scorpio mHawk and Safari 2.2.
You can't be so unfair to these cars just because they have a different engine. In driving dynamics, the Swift DDiS is much different from a Petrol Swift, so how can you call it the 'same old car' ?

Look for yourself how many votes the Diesel Swift has got!

Oh if its only about the exterior design only which matters while judging the car of the year, then pardon me.

P.S. We should also have a poll about how many want Swift DDiS to be removed, and how many want Safari,Getz,Scorpio new versions to be added as well along with Swift.
While it may be an extremely popular car, it certainly doesnt qualify as a new car. All autoshows and car magazines only take new car launces into consideration while deciding the Car of the Year and that should be how we do it on tbhp as well.

The Swift D, Getz D along with the other cars with new engines cant be a part of the car of the year poll, a seperate category may be included to include them but they cant be included in this category.
khanak is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 12:58   #63
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Actually, the Swift DDiS should have been in the poll from the start, along with Getz CRDi, Scorpio mHawk and Safari 2.2.
You can't be so unfair to these cars just because they have a different engine. In driving dynamics, the Swift DDiS is much different from a Petrol Swift, so how can you call it the 'same old car' ?

Look for yourself how many votes the Diesel Swift has got!

Oh if its only about the exterior design only which matters while judging the car of the year, then pardon me.
Going by this logic, we will have the Indica every year in the contendor for the awards, since Tata keeps giving it a new engine almost every quarter of the year, the 1.4 Xeta, the 1.2 Xeta, the 1.4 Turbo, next year the 1.5 NA Diesel, the 1.4 Dicor, the 1.3 Multijet, and the 1.4 Twin Cam Petrol

Tata Indica - More engines per car
BUSA is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 13:06   #64
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Actually, the Swift DDiS should have been in the poll from the start, along with Getz CRDi, Scorpio mHawk and Safari 2.2.
You can't be so unfair to these cars just because they have a different engine. In driving dynamics, the Swift DDiS is much different from a Petrol Swift, so how can you call it the 'same old car' ?

Look for yourself how many votes the Diesel Swift has got!

Oh if its only about the exterior design only which matters while judging the car of the year, then pardon me.
The number of votes the Diesel Swift got does not justify the inclusion.

There are several cars that have had engine changes including the NHC Vtec. A car is not just the exterior design or just the engine. When you say new car, it means a new vehicle, not just a new engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
P.S. We should also have a poll about how many want Swift DDiS to be removed, and how many want Safari,Getz,Scorpio new versions to be added as well along with Swift.
My question is, WHO put the Swift DDIS on the poll in the first place, since the originator of the poll claims that he did not.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 13:09   #65
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,944
Thanked: 16,627 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The Swift D, Getz D along with the other cars with new engines cant be a part of the car of the year poll, a seperate category may be included to include them but they cant be included in this category.
Why not another awards for the best variant of existing cars? This is done by some of the mags!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
My question is, WHO put the Swift DDIS on the poll in the first place, since the originator of the poll claims that he did not.
In the first page, DCEite has posted about the addition.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st December 2007 at 13:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 13:21   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not another awards for the best variant of existing cars? This is done by some of the mags!
They do a lot of things and go to great lengths to somehow give an award for a car (how else can a Logan get an AWARD?). We do not have to do the same.

The Car of The Year should be a new vehicle, not a variant of an existing vehicle. We all agree that the Swift with the DDis engine is a great car to drive - I doubt if that alone is a reason to call it the car of the year.

Last edited by Steeroid : 31st December 2007 at 13:22.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 13:44   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
They do a lot of things and go to great lengths to somehow give an award for a car
They have to please all manufacturers, dont they?

The Swift D should not be in the poll, if it was not there, then the 52 votes would be somewhere else and the outcome of this poll would be different, we need a new poll.
BUSA is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 13:51   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,044
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
While it may be an extremely popular car, it certainly doesnt qualify as a new car. All autoshows and car magazines only take new car launces into consideration while deciding the Car of the Year and that should be how we do it on tbhp as well.
Care to explain then how does Scorpio Getaway feature in your list? How does change in dimensions make a completely different new car and a change of engine does not?

I am sorry but i don't really follow the process of nominations of the Auto-mags and new channels. I was only using common sense .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Going by this logic, we will have the Indica every year in the contendor for the awards, since Tata keeps giving it a new engine almost every quarter of the year, the 1.4 Xeta, the 1.2 Xeta, the 1.4 Turbo, next year the 1.5 NA Diesel, the 1.4 Dicor, the 1.3 Multijet, and the 1.4 Twin Cam Petrol

Tata Indica - More engines per car
Why not? If there was any new Indica variant launched it should have been included in the poll. Why should be the eligibility criteria be a completely new launch ? Just because the Auto-mags do so?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The number of votes the Diesel Swift got does not justify the inclusion.
Of course not. Who said that? My only point is that its unfair not to include a car with a change of heart in the list. By your logic, even if Honda introduces a new City with a 150BHP engine, it would never ever qualify to be in the list of 'Car of the year' awards in the future.
Simply because Honda City has already been launched years ago. Huh!

Quote:
My question is, WHO put the Swift DDIS on the poll in the first place, since the originator of the poll claims that he did not.
Please read post number 10 of this thread.


P.S. If the thread starter wants title of the thread renamed to: Team-BHP New car launch of the year, then yes, it makes sense not to include the variants.

Last edited by DCEite : 31st December 2007 at 13:54.
DCEite is online now  
Old 31st December 2007, 14:16   #69
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,468 Times
Default

I voted for the Swift-D from the list. If i was looking at car with that amount of money today, this is the car on which i would plonk it on.

Following that, i would probably vote for the 5 series.
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 31st December 2007, 14:26   #70
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Of course SX4. When I decided to buy a car, I started with entry C segment and ended up in premium C. Of all cars in list (NHC, Verna, Fiesta, etc), SX4 won and I bought it mainly for VFM and safety features it offered.

Since we are taking poll of cars launched in '07, shouldn't we call it COTY 2007?

Last edited by sathya_nars : 31st December 2007 at 14:27.
sathya_nars is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 14:45   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Of course not. Who said that? My only point is that its unfair not to include a car with a change of heart in the list.
Going by that logic we should include the new Scorp and 2.2 Safari in the list as well. What the heck, we should also have Palio Stile in that. All these cars had a change of heart as well.
hondadude is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 14:59   #72
BHPian
 
Freaky_Sid!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 29
Thanked: Once
Default

I voted for the Swift DDiS. Definitely an upcoming car in its segment with the refined Fiat engine and above average interiors......and should pick up better in 2008.

Hey Mods - Any reason why the Aveo was not included in the poll. I just bought one!!
Freaky_Sid!! is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 15:14   #73
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,944
Thanked: 16,627 Times
Default

Seems like Logan finally got a vote!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 16:04   #74
BHPian
 
abhilash_iv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kochi
Posts: 216
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Please pardon my ignorance. Was not Zen Estilo launched in 2007?
abhilash_iv is offline  
Old 31st December 2007, 16:15   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,044
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Please pardon my ignorance. Was not Zen Estilo launched in 2007?
In 2006 .
DCEite is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New year, New car..and now, a member of Team-BHP NOX Introduce yourself 3 13th January 2015 21:04
Team-BHP New Car Launch of the Year 2008 khanak The Indian Car Scene 182 10th January 2009 16:29
honda city v-tec plus (june 2008 launch) or new honda city (Oct 2008 launch)? nnandi Sedans 16 28th October 2008 17:03
Team-BHP Manufacturer of the Year 2008 khanak The Indian Car Scene 65 23rd January 2008 22:48
Hyderabad Team-BHP Meet-Jan' 2008: 1st Drive-And-Meet of the year guyonblackybx The Team-BHP Meet Section 50 17th January 2008 12:07


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks