Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which of these you'll consider to fill fuel for your car?
Shell premium 96 26.82%
HP 76 21.23%
IOC 101 28.21%
BP 51 14.25%
Reliance 13 3.63%
Speed 18 5.03%
Others 3 0.84%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th February 2009, 14:04   #106
BHPian

Actually it's always better to fill fuel from one petrol bunk which you have identified as the place which gives better quality of fuel (lower adulterations). I don't know if there is a perfect equation to that theory, but I have done it always with my cars and they behave better.
On second thoughts, I fill fuel mostly at HPCL bunks, only twice have filled in IOC bunks so far. But on both occasions, the FE was almost the same, no major difference!
nnandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 14:32   #107
Senior - BHPian

i have observed that almost all fuels are similar provided you fill it at trusted pumps. many pumps are owned by politicians and are mostly adulterated. whenever you fill at company owned pumps its rest assured that the fuel quality and quantity both are accurate.
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 20:07   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCH View Post
I have a NHC since 2004 and I fill unleaded petrol. I have noticed that the Car gives a better average when I fill the fuel from HPCL pumps. The average drops marginally when I tank up from BPCL and IOC Pumps.

I have never filled any Premium petrol as that was discouraged from Honda Workshop. Has any of you also experienced similar experience.
SCH - I remember writing about this in another thread somewhere.

I too, somehow, got better mileage after filling from HPCL Power a while back. But this also resulted in the slower performance.

However, this is not the case anymore, all fuels work well in performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_horizon View Post
I always prefer HPCL for my NHC. Part of it has to do with ICICI credit card which exempts tax on fuel at HP pumps.
You mean the tax on the Credit Card and not the fuel
ankitahuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2009, 19:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

Does filling up with Xtra Mile or Turbojet or Bharat Petroleum premium diesel actually make a difference ? Is the fuel of a different grade ? Are the additives really making a difference ?

Not so much I feel.

I used to fill up premium diesel, the fuel consumption average was 15 kmpl in my 2008 Bolero SLX.

I switched to cheaper regular diesel ( Rs. 29.91 in Gurgaon ) supplementing a Mahindra dealer service centre fuel additive every 10,000 km and still I get the same average, 15 kmpl with the A/C running.

If faced with very bad traffic in Delhi it may go down to 14 or 13 kmpl but the reason is obvious.

Is there any study or statistics on this ?
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 11:30   #110
BHPian

I have been using an IOC COCO for quite some time, but having moved to Gurgaon from Delhi recently, I am yet to find an IOC COCO pump here, so I have shifted to BP COCO, so far, experience has been good. Drive an Endeavour and the service manager at the local dealership has advised me to use regular diesel from a COCO pump.
sandy16000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 13:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Does filling up with Xtra Mile or Turbojet or Bharat Petroleum premium diesel actually make a difference ? Is the fuel of a different grade ? Are the additives really making a difference ?

Not so much I feel.

I used to fill up premium diesel, the fuel consumption average was 15 kmpl in my 2008 Bolero SLX.

I switched to cheaper regular diesel ( Rs. 29.91 in Gurgaon ) supplementing a Mahindra dealer service centre fuel additive every 10,000 km and still I get the same average, 15 kmpl with the A/C running.

If faced with very bad traffic in Delhi it may go down to 14 or 13 kmpl but the reason is obvious.

Is there any study or statistics on this ?
There is no study done by govt/NGOs related with the premium fuels & don't expect one in India !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2009, 13:18   #112
Senior - BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
I will stick with Shell premium as of now. Ofcourse I did not find any perceptible difference between Shell normal and premium, but there is a big difference between others and Shell. And that difference (mileage, smoothness, pickup, service etc) is still worth more than the amount of Rs 100 extra I pay for a full tank of Shell premium.
Exactly the same here. I do fill from Shell Old Madras Road, and Shell (Near UB City)

But getting down from your bike before filling is a pain in @**
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 14:03   #113
BHPian

Default Which NORMAL diesel? HP or Shell.

I have noticed that I got a slightly better average on my Punto with HP normal diesel as apposed to SHELL normal Diesel.

With a tankfull HP Diesel I got about 16.8kmpl and with a tankful of shell on which I am currently running with about 30% consumed I am getting about 14.8kmpl till now.

Can anyone throw some light on this?
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 14:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

For me in Linea, shell Diesel gives more mileage than IOC Normal Diesel.
The Engine is also smoother than before and power/pickup too.
I don't know whther it's cos of Diesel or Engine settled itself.
Any how,for me,Shell Diesel is better than IOC,HP Diesels.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 14:32   #115
BHPian

@crimson: Is this after your 1st servicing, highway/city and with AC?
I got about 18Km/l on high with full AC on HP. I am now currently on Shell diesel and getting around 13.2Km/l with full AC. But I found smoothness in India Oil and I have just clocked 1050KM.
What I find is more the average speed the better is the milage irrespective of the bunks used.
divx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 14:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Try IOC normal diesel and you would be surprised by the reduction in engine noise levels.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 14:57   #117
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
I have noticed that I got a slightly better average on my Punto with HP normal diesel as apposed to SHELL normal Diesel.

With a tankfull HP Diesel I got about 16.8kmpl and with a tankful of shell on which I am currently running with about 30% consumed I am getting about 14.8kmpl till now.

Can anyone throw some light on this?
never tried shell, but happy with IOC normal diesel, and the best is it reduces engine noise levels to satisfactory results, people does say shell is better so would be trying it one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Try IOC normal diesel and you would be surprised by the reduction in engine noise levels.
absolutely, IOC all the way with normal diesel and the difference is surely felt on noise levels.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 15:15   #118
BHPian

This is interesting either Shell or IOC i get a average milage of 16 to 17 kmpl. Have not tried HP but did not find any difference between shell and ioc in terms of engine smoothness or engine nose levels reduced or increased.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 15:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

I swear by Shell, though they sell it at a higher price...

Those who switch to Shell, check your mileage from the second consecutive Shell refill onwards- unless you watch them like a hawk, they tend to fill 'er up till the brim
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2009, 15:52   #120
BHPian

Not sure on what is the effect on new generation diesel engines since they are more sensitive to fuel quality. For my NA diesel plant, BP normal diesel works the best with typical average in 18+ thereabout. For HP normal diesel I get 17+ and therabout. I used Shell once and I got average of 14.3 with no drastic changes in the conditions. I never use IOC as once long ago, IOC bunk tried to cheat on mt and I caught him red handed.

I also use System D which works best for me along with normal diesels.

So for me my preferences are BP->HP->IBP->Shell->IOC.

takecare and drive safely
rkavthekar is offline   Reply With Quote