Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd January 2008, 13:59   #121
BHPian

Here is a scenario i would like

Hindustan Motor Guy goes up to DC and say.. Look there is only limited number that you can sell of those cars , but if you let me borrow the design i will make it a more traditional 4 door saloon version with the overall design styling elements and sell it as the new ambassdor. Some thing like what BMW did with the mini. DC can get paid for styling and he will have atleast one production model that he can showcase to other car makers.

DC can also propose to HM that he can make a drop head version of the same car , Some thing like the Phantom Drop head coupe. All this would work if HM can do such a car and sell the regular for say 7 L and the convertible for 9-10

This way DC becomes a more botique kind of car manufacturer and HM would have a mordern car

Now back to reality.

Last edited by sreedotk : 23rd January 2008 at 14:01.
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2008, 22:48   #122
BHPian

yup leave the price and i have to give it to DC the ambierod does look a killer....byfar the best exterior job by DC...

though he could have worked more on thee interior and the gull wing door as the hydraulic lookin out in the side of the door looks a bit street custom type

but....leaving all that its an awesome design and a great effort!
tidzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 13:18   #123
BHPian

Did he not make the Concept S a few years back, (after building the Aston) it was silver with medium brown/dark tan interiors???

OT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
IN my opinoin the rear of the car is inspired from DIMORA NATALIA SLS2

(which is the world first V16 car which cost Twice as much as a bugatti veyron)
You forget the Cadillac V16. The V16 has been around since the late 20s.
MustangMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 14:36   #124
Senior - BHPian

The Chinese do direct copies of cars. DC copies 3 or 4 to make 1 car.

The guy is a complete failure. It is time his work was ignored instead of praised. There is nothing original, innoative or breath taking inany of his designs. He is still living off the press he got for the Aston Martin prototype contract (something he did not even design).
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 14:44   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Most cars today have similar lines to another car. It doesnt mean the cars have been copied.

I think we should be proud of and support the design talent in our country keeping in mind that there isnt any other designer in India who is really capable of what he does or has done the amount of work that DC has done.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 16:18   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
In academic circles, they say - "To copy from 1 source is plagiarism, to copy from several is called Research".

Quote:
The guy is a complete failure. It is time his work was ignored instead of praised. There is nothing original, innoative or breath taking inany of his designs. He is still living off the press he got for the Aston Martin prototype contract (something he did not even design).
He had a life before the Aston Martin. AM did not go to a mere vaccum. And if his work was ignorable, he would not be making any money.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 17:51   #127
BHPian

An interesting (yet hypothetical) situation

didn't it occur to anyone.
DC says the DC s is not for sale but if you buy the ambeirod (i was pronouncing it ambiroid just like "asteroid")
then you can have the DC s for 25 lakhs extra. Its like an add on, You know just like those buy one get 50 % off on the second type of offers.
In case the ambeirod breaks down you can leave it there and drive to the next taxi stand in the DC s.

PS: I mentioned it to be hypothetical but what can we say may be true too.
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 18:43   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
An interesting (yet hypothetical) situation

didn't it occur to anyone.
DC says the DC s is not for sale but if you buy the ambeirod (i was pronouncing it ambiroid just like "asteroid")
then you can have the DC s for 25 lakhs extra. Its like an add on, You know just like those buy one get 50 % off on the second type of offers.
In case the ambeirod breaks down you can leave it there and drive to the next taxi stand in the DC s.

PS: I mentioned it to be hypothetical but what can we say may be true too.
Hmmm

How would you get to your DC S from the spot where your Amberoid breaks down?

Why would you take a cab when you have the DC S?
Old 27th January 2008, 19:20   #129
BHPian

I mentioned in the very beginning it's a ""hypothetical"" situation
motorheadinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 20:44   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
I mentioned in the very beginning it's a ""hypothetical"" situation
Even a hypothetical situation has to make sence right.
Old 27th January 2008, 22:05   #131
BHPian

Guys i would also like to add my 1 cent..If you all can think you can put your thoughts on sheet metal & from concept to reality than praising yourself or trying to praise other 100% for doing goos in paintbrush or photoshop, then i would seriously respect all & also bow down...No offence meant but if DC can do it from years & as said by others that he is the 1 who got the designing trend in India..I will appreciate his work as some of our esteemed members do..

Niki
nikibusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 19:41   #132
SRK
Senior - BHPian

I actually Loved the Ambierod..It looks great..

I am waiting for the DC design school to start..and maybe one day I'll learn how he materializes all these concepts.

And by the way wasnt that supercar to be priced at Rs.65laks?

Last edited by SRK : 1st February 2008 at 19:42.
SRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:01   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Most cars today have similar lines to another car. It doesnt mean the cars have been copied.

I think we should be proud of and support the design talent in our country keeping in mind that there isnt any other designer in India who is really capable of what he does or has done the amount of work that DC has done.
Why take a jingostic type line about everything ? The guy has been producing real rubbish for a few years now. Nothing he has done has been original or innovative.

I do not care if he is Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Afghan or an Alien. If he is designing pathetic cars then I will take the line that it the work is poor. Support people on the basis of their work not their nationaility. When you start backing people just because of their nationality then complacency sets in (as with DC) and they turn out the most pathetic designs you could ever imagine.

There are dozens of people on this forum who could do a better job. I bet if they had the resources of DC and were able to finance the building of prototypes etc then the Indian press would soon forget about DC.

Of cause this car is copied. It is obvious to see the Audi TT etc in the work.

Last edited by bigman : 2nd February 2008 at 02:02.
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:15   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
In academic circles, they say - "To copy from 1 source is plagiarism, to copy from several is called Research".

He had a life before the Aston Martin. AM did not go to a mere vaccum. And if his work was ignorable, he would not be making any money.
No to copy from several is called a pathetic attempt to hide plagiarism.

How is he making money ? From pathetic custom jobs ? Nothing he has designed would be commercially viable as his designs are very poor. Have you seen his custom work ? It is seriously poor compared to what you get coming from the European custom houses. It is sad that people blow his trumpet as if he was some sort of Indian version of AMG, Alpina, Techart. He is not even the Dimma of India. He is just a step up from the panel beaters you get in places the Jeep market in Dabwali etc (think again he is actually below them in my book as at least they do not destroy cars with pathetic design work).

Compare his customised Cayenne to the Techart equivalent. Pathetic is too nicer word to use for his custom job.

Last edited by bigman : 2nd February 2008 at 02:19.
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:20   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Yes my friend, you are correct.
You have a fine taste in car design and similarly DC is a great car designer.
Everyone should applaud DC for his designs..
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote