Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th October 2008, 18:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> The average is a poor 7.8 KMPL in the city (avg commute distance 2km).

These short distance commutes are the worst for mileage in any car. Even before the engine is upto the normal running temperature your drive is over.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 00:05   #47
BHPian

Red face What do the experts here think of the i10 Automatic?

I am planning of buying the i10 automatic after reading a review of the car on OD. I just wanted to know what is the general response towards the car and if anyone from the forum has purchased the same. Since the automatic is intended maily for my dad's driving comfort (i prefer a manual anytime of the day or night ) I wouldnt mind getting FE figures of around 13km in city as quoted by the showroom guys.

Just wondering if I will be getting the FE as quoted? anyone with experience on the same? and how does a price of 5.19L sound for the Sport version of the i10 Automatic? And what will be the maintainance cost between an automatic and a manual?

PS: Mods, I couldn't find a thread on the i10 for the questions asked. Kindly reposition the thread if needed.
jas_mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 11:37   #48
BHPian

an aquaintance of mine has an i10 Automatic and she reports around 10-11 kmpl in city after first service. dont expect more than that, because the manual version is said to give around 13-14kmpl.

its USP is driving comfort in city, not FE. the gear box is also well engineered and smooth so i dont expect any problems on that front.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 11:49   #49
BANNED

Let's just say I would blindly buy it if my running was not so high (I could use the diesel economy)

Last edited by hrag : 31st October 2008 at 11:51.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

The I10 has some awards under its belt and is a proven car. The Automatic is a great option in the city. Its not wimpy to own an Automatic (as its made out to be) its sheer convenience. Its not as if you redline all the way with a manual, but yes in times that you want to step on it, you will find it a tad wanting. Your dad will bless you anyways. Go for it.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The I10 has some awards under its belt and is a proven car.
Its wrong to say that i10 AT is a proven car. Kappa engine is only 5-6 months old, and that too with AT.
So there is no point talking about the car of the year awards the i10 iRDE won. The IRDE engine is a proven and reliable unit, but same cannot be said about Kappa as yet. Even the Hyundai sales guys are themselves confused whether its as fuel efficient as iRDE or not.
Only some long term ownership reports can tell for sure.

Last edited by DCEite : 31st October 2008 at 16:39.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:49   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Its wrong to say that i10 AT is a proven car. Kappa engine is only 5-6 months old, and that too with AT.
So there is no point talking about the car of the year awards the i10 iRDE won. The IRDE engine is a proven and reliable unit, but same cannot be said about Kappa as yet. Even the Hyundai sales guys are themselves confused whether its as fuel efficient as iRDE or not.
Only some long term ownership reports can tell for sure.
Given Hyundai's track record in India over the past decade, I don't think questioning the reliability of the Kappa engine is a good idea and neither is there any past evidence to suggest that it can be unreliable, all their previous engines have done just fine.

And in any case, I would rather see a company introduce a brand new engine rather than recycling the same engine again & again for donkey's years.

Last edited by iraghava : 31st October 2008 at 16:51.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 16:53   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, and they've been making petrol engines for donkey's years. So no quesiton there. Only getting the Accent CRDi engine to work on indian diesel was a problem. Nothing thereafter.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 01:00   #54
BHPian

@DCEite: Actually, yeah, even the showroom people where confused as to if the FE of the Kappa is better than the iRDE.

I was also hearing of the CRDi engine coming to the i10? Do you guys think it will come in the auto version?

Hey guys any idea on what will be the difference in maintainence cost for the Auto vs. Manual? And what do you think of the OTR price of 5.19L?
Old 4th November 2008, 12:46   #55
BHPian

Jas, the maintenance cost of an auto and manual should be same largely. The auto will use a more expensive transmission oil but on the other hand will not have maintenance cost of clutch plate. I test drove the auto version last weekend and found it a hoot to drive in city traffic. If the distance travelled is not significant, then FE is not in the reckoning.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 20:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

There is a general perception that auto boxes are less durable than manual boxes. Actually the reverse is true. Automatics are very durable. One key factor is that there is no mechanical linkages in the automatic transmission between the engines out put and power to the wheels. Hence it is very hard to damage an automatic transmission. Much easier to mess up a manual transmission. Regarding maintenance there is no replacing clutches etc. All you need to do is to replace the transmission fluid at the required maintenance intervals. Mercedes Auto transmission sold in the US come with a 100,000 miles (160K kilometers) sealed transmission. That means you do absolutely nothing to the automatic transmission until 100K miles. I know this for sure since I owned the Merc ML320.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 22:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Jas, the maintenance cost of an auto and manual should be same largely. The auto will use a more expensive transmission oil but on the other hand will not have maintenance cost of clutch plate. I test drove the auto version last weekend and found it a hoot to drive in city traffic. If the distance travelled is not significant, then FE is not in the reckoning.
You can add the extra brake maintainance to it. It's just 3 months since I own the i10 auto, the brakes seem to started becoming hard a bit (after some amount of driving, say about an hour) which according to a fellow tbhpian is my brakes cooking up. But whatever the small issues or FE (I get between 10-11 too) the ease of an automatic in bumper to bumper traffic is just awesome. I sometimes joke with my carpool friend who owns an i10 manual that the moment we hit traffic, the extra bucks I paid for the automatic, it's counter starts reducing by the minute
rishia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 14:30   #58
BHPian

@4x4addict & Bomi - Thanks for that bit of info on the auto boxes.

@rishia - Thats what i am talking about man.. Bumper to bumper traffic seriously makes it worth it. My runs are pretty less, maybe around 50 kms a week, and it is only for travel with the family. How much did you pay for the i10 Sport version? Did you check with the service centre on the cooking brake?

Anyone here thinks that a brake upgrade would be good?
Old 7th November 2008, 00:54   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
@rishia - Thats what i am talking about man.. Bumper to bumper traffic seriously makes it worth it. My runs are pretty less, maybe around 50 kms a week, and it is only for travel with the family. How much did you pay for the i10 Sport version? Did you check with the service centre on the cooking brake?
My runs aren't much either have clocked about 850 odd kms in 3 months. Paid a bomb (5.4 L) though, particularly because I'm in namma Bengaluru and that too a couple of days before another rise in road tax otherwise would have spent another 10 grands. The hardening of brakes is a result of reporting a problem with the brakes (it went limp for a bit in traffic once) so I guess it can be taken care of, am out of bangy for a bit, will take care of it when I'm back.
BTW some people do recommend a brake upgrade for automatics, not sure about it though, coz even manual cars these days have this feature of a minimum speed without pressing the gas pedal.
rishia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 22:49   #60
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any inputs on how the i10 A/T performs on the highway in terms of acceleration? Does the car accelerate decently when its well into 3 digit figures?
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote