Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2008, 00:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

One word my friend. Gearing. Exactly like the heavier Swift (Kerb-1010 kg)manages a better top whack of 170-odd. (The extra 2 PS doesn't help as much as you think; the breathing & mapping does.)
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:31   #17
BHPian

165 kmph comes up in 3rd gear in my esteem at 6500 rpm.
i personally have taken her up to very close to 180 in 5th gear and could have pulled more.
so no way is 165 the top of a esteem.
Had hit 170 in 5th that when my esteem was stock and had loads more room to pull.
but yes.. RIP esteem
RIP.
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

RIP Esteem, the car that showed us first what performance means. Yeah it might sound ridiculous for people in the developed world.
Old 2nd January 2008, 10:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
One word my friend. Gearing. Exactly like the heavier Swift (Kerb-1010 kg)manages a better top whack of 170-odd. (The extra 2 PS doesn't help as much as you think; the breathing & mapping does.)
Swift has a true top speed of 160 kmph and they have also mentioned it on the marutis website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
i personally have taken her up to very close to 180 in 5th gear and could have pulled more.
Had hit 170 in 5th that when my esteem was stock and had loads more room to pull.
but yes.. RIP esteem
RIP.
Oh so now the esteem achives its top speed in the 5th gear rather than the 4th gear??Special edition esteem?
Esteem has a true tested speed of 165 achieved in 4th gear.U can check that out on test reports on the internet.Hitting 180 or 190 on the speedo does not mean thats the true top speed.
People say that in a petrol lancer with a 87 bhp engine they have done speeds liek 190+ but the fact remains the true tested top speed of the car is 170 kmph.So likewise.

Anyway RIP esteem
here is a pic which i found on orkut so i am posting it here.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

hey the sx4 has good mileage and decent power,its selling on that basis.when maruti has done it with sx4 they wont loose out on swift sedan both in mileage and power wise.it would be a decent car.m series engines are already here in the sx4 i believe.it would never be the engine in either swift or esteem to be placed in the swift sedan.

ram
Old 2nd January 2008, 13:21   #21
BHPian

SX4 doesn't give good mileage compared to peers (of course, the mileage it gives is good for its size, wider tyres, etc), power is definitely good.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:12   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Time to say good bye to Esteem. If I'm not wrong Esteem is the only car dominated the off-track rallies before Baleno introduced. The reason may be Esteem had a good Power to weight ratio. And Honda city [off course the old model] is the near competitor.
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Esteem is one car which i grew up admiring, that one day i will finally own one.. but when the time really came, esteem was abt to die..

When i think of this car, i imagine the brightly colored esteems rallying across the rough indian terrain..

Rest in peace my dear esteem
Old 2nd January 2008, 14:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool View Post
but yes.. RIP esteem
RIP.
i can agree with the first part of your statement. the esteem, specially the carb reaches max speed in the 3rd gear itself which is 165, maybe with a better air filter & stage 1 mods, it can reach 175-180.
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
SX4 doesn't give good mileage compared to peers (of course, the mileage it gives is good for its size, wider tyres, etc), power is definitely good.
Satya!
What are you talking man?
I am here to tell that I get 12.5-13 kmpl in city and 15-15.7 on highway.

BTW this is off topic. I also wanted to buy esteem but changed my mind after driving good car in US.

Esteem was big car ..RIP
Old 2nd January 2008, 15:56   #26
BHPian

We will surely miss a great car of our generation. As a school going kid I remember, my dad dropping me to school in our Esteem, his priced possession after the M800. Eventually we sold it much before I could learn driving. I feel like I have missed something.

ESTEEM: a true legend.
Old 2nd January 2008, 21:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huumyum
Swift has a true top speed of 160 kmph and they have also mentioned it on the marutis website.
Might be under Ideal Testing Conditions. Because I've taken the Swift to 185+ myself, & I do not believe the Swift has a 15% speedo error.

BTW, the Lancer DOES 190 on the speedo as well; true top whack of 170+. Never mind the fact that both the 87 bhp over-the-ton kerb weight cars take just about an eternity to reach the top end.

And no, I do not think the esteem is geared for 165 in 3rd. Redlining at 6500, the Esteem does about 110 in 2nd, & 145 in 3rd. Does somebody have the 3rd ratio & final drive specs for the carb/MPFi esteem..? I do not remember them as of now. Perhaps we can calculate the geared speeds as well..
Old 3rd January 2008, 06:21   #28
BHPian

this is really interesting.
just out of curiosity what would be a good device to measure true speed ?
would a g-tech pro ss or rr do the job ?
thanks in advance everyone.

yes veyron bro. i hit 110 on the speedo at redline in 2nd gear.This is correct.
but then in 3rd i have seen 165 on the speedo. Is there a speedo error ? and is it possible to calculate true speed anyhow ?
thank you soo much for all the help.
this is too interesting.
Old 3rd January 2008, 09:56   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
just out of curiosity what would be a good device to measure true speed ?
Either the VBOX or other professional calculating equipment.
Old 7th January 2008, 10:44   #30
BHPian

Default Streetcar named desire. To replace Esteem?

Source: Car named Dezire to replace Esteem- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Maruti Suzuki is coming up with the new Dezire, the replacement for its long-serving Esteem.

Dezire, Maruti Suzukiís new sedan on the Swift platform, will be manufactured only in India for the global market and will be available in both fuel options. It will sport a 1.3 litre petrol and the 1.3 litre DDiS multijet diesel engine, currently available in the Swift hatchback.

The new sedan will be positioned as a practical family car and has been redesigned with wider rear space and more legroom, but is likely to be compact enough to qualify as a small car and may avail concessional excise duty benefits. Though the Dezire will be much longer than 3695 mm Swift hatchback, it is expected to be somewhat like the Tata Motorsí new Indigo compact, which is under four-metre in length and will be very competitively priced. Its launch price is expected to be in the range of Rs 4.7 lakh for the base variant and going up to Rs 6 lakh for the top-end model.
Closed Thread