Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th January 2008, 21:48   #76
BHPian

A very nice effort by Bajaj here, gues they have caught everyone by surprise here even at team-bhp. This actually looks like a version which can get in Production with any more changes, we usually see concepts which get modified by the time it gets into the market, but this looks good to get out...

As Rajiv Bajaj mentioned that they do want to make a profit and would not be selling it at 1 lac, I believe its probably be going to cost around 2L-2.5L to give competition to M800/Alto. Bajaj's three wheeelers cost close to 1.5L, so I don't think they can bring the cost of this to less than 2L. But even 2L would be a great deal considering how good this model looks.

One more interesting thing to look forward will be their engines, more specifically the technology that they are going to use in them. Will the DTSI make it into these cars? I hope they get some good help in getting proper diesel technology for their engines, because anything like those that are used in their goods carrier would be a disaster.

Rajiv also mentioned that they are working on the transimission that will give the best of Auto and Manual trannies combined together. I'm a little skeptical on this topic though given that they could solve the gearing issues (slippage) in their bikes properly.

But in the end we really must appreciate the efforts taken by Bajaj...
Old 8th January 2008, 22:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag11 View Post
can't trust sincerety of bajaj right now
on one hand where tatas car is real with a long hard work, assembly line, vendors, dealors all in place , bajaj has nothing..
only a car that seems to be airlifted from somwhere
how do you know one is good and the other is bad?
Old 8th January 2008, 22:19   #78
Senior - BHPian

If this is supposed to be an answer to Tata's 1 lakh car, I can only only say this - "reminds me of the why-crabs-exported-from-India have no-caps-on-the-tin story".

According to an official story on Economic Times, Bajaj will not be able to make cars for next 2-3 years. (The actual wording is something like "will enter car manufacturing in next 2-3 years').

So, what exactly does Bajaj seek to gain from this one-upmanship? (Hmmm... their shares are lagging in spite of the bull run), and at least one comment above does suggest that this move has clicked).

Of course, the prototype does look good and impressive. That is how prototypes ought to be. They are, AFAICT, hand crafted.
Old 8th January 2008, 22:28   #79
BHPian

I guess the head honchos at Bajaj had already made it public that they ain't gonna be in the game with the Tata's 1 Lakh Car. They were of the view that their's would be an ultra modern techno geek car with it's own USPs.

And now I'm gettin that flying 'B' logo jink... Hmm... Distinctly Bajaj!
Old 8th January 2008, 23:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Car in 2-4 yrs but not for Rs 1 lakh: Bajaj

Bajaj launched the prototype of its small car with the promise that it will run 34 km for every litre of fuel.

Rajiv Bajaj, managing director, Bajaj Auto, said: "This is not a Rs 1 lakh car. It will be priced competitively but not sell on the pricing. Offering the customer twice the fuel economy is more effective than offering half the price."

He indicated that the car, which will take two to four years in the making and come in both diesel as well as petrol versions, will be fitted with a "unique" two-cylinder engine.

Its gear system, too, will be unusual. "It will have a unique transmission system that will strike a balance between geared transmission, which is very efficient but not every convenient, and automatic transmission, which is convenient but not very efficient," said Bajaj.
Article Source: Car in 2-4 yrs but not for Rs 1 lakh: Bajaj
1. It is a prototype, perhaps built by some design house like DC . So the actual car is far from reality. What the actual quality/ product will be, is yet to be seen. Bajaj was recently in talks with Renault. And that was merely a month (a few months max) ago. So this definitely can not be a joint effort of the two.

The timing of the launch of the prototype clearly suggests, that Bajaj definitely wanted to steal Tata's thunder.

2. They didn't mention a price. But also ruled out competing with Tata on the price front. We should expect this car to be in the range of 2-2.5 lacs. The pics shown are of the costiest variant so we should expect all the goodies within 2.5L. This should be an ideal competitor to the Alto.

3. Two-cylinder petrol and diesel engines. Really can't comment!!

4. Semi automatic is what Mr.Bajaj is trying to say. Will it be like the Hero Honda City type? Change gears without any clutch. Also i can see some coloured dots on the gear stick. Maybe two forwards, one parking and one reverse.

4. The proto looks like a shrunken (yet to be launched) Chevy Aveo UVA. The headlamps are like a photo copy. The rear looks like taken off from Skoda Roomster/Yeti. Overall, a nice looking car though.

5. We should not compare Bajaj's bikes with their car. The 150cc+ bikes belong to the premium segment but the car is at the bottom of the ladder. So I suppose Bajaj will have different strategies.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 8th January 2008 at 23:15.
Old 9th January 2008, 01:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
I guess the head honchos at Bajaj had already made it public that they ain't gonna be in the game with the Tata's 1 Lakh Car.
And more importantly they might not be launching car under the "Bajaj" marquee. Tata wasnt making 2 wheelers but trucks so it was easier to launch something on 4 wheels.
Old 9th January 2008, 02:08   #82
Senior - BHPian

Center console reminds me of the Scion XB. Wonder how sturdy the car would be..pretty light weight.
Old 9th January 2008, 02:38   #83
Senior - BHPian

It is quite wide actually. looks wider than an alto.. or maybe its the oversized bumpers. they may disappear in the production version. but i hope they will launch a premium version that looks like the same.

Watch the video here: Bajaj Auto unveils small car, enters small car mkt: IBNLive.com > Videos

Last edited by ashutoshb : 9th January 2008 at 02:43.
Old 9th January 2008, 03:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thats right.I wonder how many things will be dropped when production starts. The front gives the slight 'Estillo' effect..
Old 9th January 2008, 03:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

There's a lot of cars like this on the French market, and some of them, like the Aixam and Chatenet are impressive. They're called microcars or quadricycles. In fact Kinetic had one such contraption running around and it was even featured in Auto India, I think.

All said & done, this looks like another publicity stunt by Bajaj, as exemplified by their "DTS-i" and their "SNS", for which I have coined a new term: PLACEBO TECHNOLOGY (meaning they dont really do anything but add perceived value to the product for very low cost). They're far, far away from producing anything close to this thing with any success.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 9th January 2008 at 03:47.
Old 9th January 2008, 09:22   #86
Senior - BHPian

Last time I checked Bajaj still owned Force Motors. It is interesting that Bajaj is using its own name and not "Force". I guess Bajaj knows that to use the "Force" logo on this vehicle is to deliver it still born. I presume Force dealers will not sell it either.
Old 9th January 2008, 09:42   #87
BHPian

Lookwise it's good, but we have to wait till 2010 to see the vehicle on road.
Old 9th January 2008, 09:48   #88
RAC
BHPian

Default Dashboard pic

Some pics were shared by my friend. Uploading one of the interior:
Source: absolutely no idea

Dash:
Old 9th January 2008, 10:17   #89
BANNED

Car looks good deal for 1.5lakhs, do anybody has engine specs ??
Old 9th January 2008, 10:51   #90
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I wonder how the gear in the central console works. Is it like the one in Honda CRV.?
Closed Thread