Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2008, 20:51   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Didn't Maruti present concept A- star? Was that a complete car? its recieved as a concept.

Just because Bajaj didnt name it as a concept doesnt mean it should not have been there.
This post just reminded me - some years back, some 3 or 4 years after the Indica was launched, Tatas had presented a two door sports version of the Indica for export. I have never heard of it being actually manufactured.
Old 14th January 2008, 17:51   #122
BHPian

If my eyes are not cheating on me, there is no dead padle on the left to the clutch .
Old 14th January 2008, 20:39   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
This is more like some roadside romeo who goes around with a poster of Deepika Padukone and wants everyone to believe that she'll be his wife "soon".

The romeo is entitled to his delusion (and ambition). In turn we are also free to mock him and hold him in contempt.
VERY apt comparison, I must say. After seeing the Bajaj 'car' which was kept inside a 7 foot high full glass enclosure there is no reason to believe this is any real attempt at making anything. The fact that nobody could get closer than 25 feet of this car lends credence to the arguement that this was meant more as a party popper than any genuine effort.

While we would all like to see more Indian manufacturers in the industry, THIS is definitely not the way to go about it.
Old 14th January 2008, 23:37   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Bajaj beats Tata !

Too good for 1lac.

as far as i know its not a budget car
and on the news channel they said it was supposed to be around 4 lacs and its not competing with the nano

you it seems the USP of the car is its efficiancy(as claimed)
Old 15th January 2008, 04:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
as far as i know its not a budget car
and on the news channel they said it was supposed to be around 4 lacs and its not competing with the nano

you it seems the USP of the car is its efficiancy(as claimed)
I heard it would be for around 2 lakhs and not 4. Its far too basic to be for anymore than 2-3 lakhs.
Old 15th January 2008, 05:30   #126
BHPian

I guess TATA wil win the competition cos Bajaj doesn't have much
experience in cars.
Well lets see, anything can happen in present situation.

I cheer for TATA rather than Bajaj.

Last edited by GTO : 15th January 2008 at 10:53. Reason: Removing FONT tags. Please do not cut-copy-paste from other word softwares. Thanks
Old 20th January 2008, 13:40   #127
Senior - BHPian

bajaj car looks good, too. but it is hard to believe that bajaj will sell their car at 1.3 lakhs when their auto-rick sells at 1.6 lakhs. Either Tata is doing charity with fully clothed 4-wheeled 1.3 lakh Nano or Bajaj is looting us with 1.6 lakh bare bones 30 year back designed auto-rick. which is the case? Bajaj's idea of showcasing just before Nano's unveiling looks more like a publicity stunt. a few years back, when i was standing in queue to buy tickets for PC Sorcar's magicg show, there was this petty street magician who was showing off and entertaining us with his small tricks. this guy was running his small side show outside, much to the amusement of those standing in line and waiting for the window for the real show to open. with all due respect to Bajaj, their attempt to showcase their small car just before the Nano mega event reminds me of that small magician.

looks like bajaj picked up some car from some European small car maker. there are many such microcar makers in Europe but these cars are by no means cheap. they cost more than our C segment cars. Smart by Merc is one such car. in fact, Europens can not make any cheap products. it's only Chinese and Indians who can do this.
Old 20th January 2008, 19:35   #128
BHPian

Bajaj car is just an attempt to answer the perceived threat from Nano to its main cash cow "the 3-wheeled monster - autorikshaw". They are selling that "so called automobile" with absolutely nothing new going in except the LPG/CNG for many decades. It must be given some award for the "the most retrograde vehicle on roads".

They will not be able to bring any meaningful competition to Tata considering that no company has put in as much efforts and money as Tata has in developing a low-cost car. The maximum Bajaj can do will be to copy(right?) some designs from some European design labs and display.
Old 21st January 2008, 08:54   #129
BHPian

I have seriously doubt if there was even an engine inside the car....why put it in a glass cage???
Old 21st January 2008, 15:39   #130
BHPian

I think bajaj is just reacting to the perceived threat of the Nano to its best selling rickshaw.
Old 21st January 2008, 17:00   #131
BHPian

Bajaj is launching the car seeing the huge potential the 1 - 2 lac price segment has. I think it is a smart move.
Old 21st January 2008, 17:27   #132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Tata did not have the ability to even manufacture trucks. They had a technical collobration with Benz of Germany, and some old timers in the trucking industry still refer to Tata trucks as "benz" vehicles.

I really think that the initiative by Bajaj is commendable. But the way they launched, the timing, the kind of plan they have (or more appropriately, do not have) to back up the concept reeks of one-up-manship.

I think no body here would have criticised Bajaj if they had said "this is what we have, we will launch this in 2009". Instead, they say, "this is what we are planning, if we get a collaborator to tell us how to set up an assembly line and also give us an engine, transmission and help us sell this, we may put up a plant to build this car, which may be launched sometime in far future".

This is not just a matter fo approach (the glass half-full / half empty kind). It is the kind of frog-in-the-well attitude, which reeks of "I cannot do it, I will not allow the guys who do this to take any credit also".

The language Bajaj is talking makes me suspect their bonafides.
I find this kind of thinking absurd, with due respect to all who are making these statements. The reason I have used a strong statement here is " Bajaj was known as a chetak manufacturer before the pulsar. They didnt have any decent bike made solely by them, and no one considered them a serious player in the bike market". Now after 3 iterations of pulsars, look at where they are!!!!!. Why is it not possible that they become a serious car maker in days to come?????
Old 23rd January 2008, 16:53   #133
BHPian

By the time this car is launched Tata's Nano will probably revamped into something smaller and cheaper
Old 12th May 2008, 16:01   #134
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj's Rs 1-lakh small car by 2011
Old 12th May 2008, 18:09   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amya View Post
If my eyes are not cheating on me, there is no dead padle on the left to the clutch .
Dude, what do you expect from a sub 2 lakh car. I hope you dont wish to have ABS , AIRBAGS and Other Things as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandPatil View Post
I guess TATA wil win the competition cos Bajaj doesn't have much
experience in cars.
Well lets see, anything can happen in present situation.

I cheer for TATA rather than Bajaj.
Tata will do good only if it is able to get a good fuel efficiency and if they are able to price it to 1 lakh. ( Last week , 2 news channel were showing Nano not to be 1 lakh rupees after all )
Closed Thread