Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th February 2008, 04:28   #211
BHPian

Here are the pictures of the small accident i mentioned earlier.
All the scratches on my bumper were present from before only and there is no bumper deformation or dent or damage.

Now, for the SX4. No scratches at all but the bumper has gone in!!!

I do feel that like mentioned earlier, this could be a crumple zone and hence there are no scratches and its not the build quality to blame. Thank you for pointing this out guys, am learning quite a bit on this forum
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:26   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Now, for the SX4. No scratches at all but the bumper has gone in!!!

I do feel that like mentioned earlier, this could be a crumple zone and hence there are no scratches and its not the build quality to blame. Thank you for pointing this out guys, am learning quite a bit on this forum
The more recent European auto regulations require bumpers to be more pedestrian friendly and probably that explains the softness SX4's bumper. But then, would pedestrian safety regulations also apply to the rear bumper? IMO the rear bumper is inconsequential from the point of view of pedestrian safety. Can someone research and find out if there are norms for the rear bumper as well?

Last edited by directinjection : 14th February 2008 at 11:27.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:28   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The more recent European auto regulations require bumpers to be more pedestrian friendly and probably that explains the softness SX4's bumper. But then, would pedestrian safety regulations also apply to the rear bumper? IMO the rear bumper is inconsequential from the point of view of pedestrian safety. Can someone research and find out if there are norms for the rear bumper as well?

what if you run into a pedestrian while reversing ?
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 11:46   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Thats a good question... but in wrong thread. I saw my friends sx4 front bumper also cave in like that. There is nothing like VFM isn't? What you pay for is what you get...

Quote:
The more recent European auto regulations require bumpers to be more pedestrian friendly and probably that explains the softness SX4's bumper.
I have no idea about sx4. But the swift is excellent w.r.t pedestrian safety. My friend hit a old lady(crossing a highway) and she was dragged for few feet(my friend is very bad at breaking) before coming to halt. She had lots of pain.. but thats about it. Not even broken bone or any visible external injury. Took her to doctor and looks like nothing internal too. Just pain because of the hit.... either the build quality of that old lady was soo good or the car design is excellent.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:03   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
what if you run into a pedestrian while reversing ?
Thanks for the enlightenment! I missed that out.

Last edited by directinjection : 14th February 2008 at 12:17.
Old 14th February 2008, 12:18   #216
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

well a friend of mine did hit his wife while reversing his new Zen (old one, not Estilo)! They had just got married and that was his first car. She had a fracture and the poor chap had to do all housework for weeks!
So yea, it makes sense to think of pedestrain safety at rear as well. You might inadvertently hit someone while reversing!
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 12:29   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I have no idea about sx4. But the swift is excellent w.r.t pedestrian safety. My friend hit a old lady(crossing a highway) and she was dragged for few feet(my friend is very bad at breaking) before coming to halt. She had lots of pain.. but thats about it. Not even broken bone or any visible external injury. Took her to doctor and looks like nothing internal too. Just pain because of the hit.... either the build quality of that old lady was soo good or the car design is excellent.
The Swift front bumper car may be good for protecting pedestrians but doesn't protect the car itself much.

IMO its design is flawed because it doesn't protrude out of the body to serve its purpose of protecting the car. In Swift, the bonnet, the headlights, the bumper; all are in the same plane and so even minor hits result in dislocation of bumper/bonnet/headlight. At least a quarter of the Swifts I see on the road have their alignment of headlight/bonnet/bumper out.

Another flaw in the front bumper design is that it is too low; there is very little space between the botton end of the bumper and the road. Good for aerodynamics may be but not so good for our rough roads. The drag- reducing plastic strip under the front bumper usually gets dislocated after hitting stone or even the road and often hangs loose.
Old 14th February 2008, 14:23   #218
BHPian

Quote:
The drag- reducing plastic strip under the front bumper usually gets dislocated after hitting stone or even the road and often hangs loose.
Agree on this point. I have seen quite a few swift that way. But these issues might again be due to build quality. Weak knuckles, joints may be... i am just guess here.
Old 14th February 2008, 14:36   #219
BHPian

double post... mods please delete this.
Old 14th February 2008, 15:51   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI
IMO its design is flawed because it doesn't protrude out of the body to serve its purpose of protecting the car. In Swift, the bonnet, the headlights, the bumper; all are in the same plane and so even minor hits result in dislocation of bumper/bonnet/headlight. At least a quarter of the Swifts I see on the road have their alignment of headlight/bonnet/bumper out.
Sirjee, its 100% correct.
But is isn't design flaw but , "pedestrian safety" standard.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 17:15   #221
BHPian

Have myself seen alot of swifts with the bumper hinge broken and hence the bumper is hanging out. My friends Swift is the same
Old 15th February 2008, 01:28   #222
BHPian

Swift releasing the new swift sport in 2008
viper316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 01:44   #223
BHPian

Hey viper316,
could you tell us which month approx. and also where did you get this information from?
Old 15th February 2008, 04:13   #224
Senior - BHPian

Xehaust - The tyre on your Opel is mounted in the wrong direction!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 14:11   #225
BHPian

What!!!
Dint realise the direction as it was mounted a month back and my driver got them mounted. Will post a few pics today itself..please let me know if its correct.
Since we are on the topic, please let me also know what are the ill effects of this.

MODS, i know we are in a different thread so please feel free to move these posts to another section as i dont want to create a new thread just for finding out my tyre direction