Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 28th January 2008, 15:36   #166
BHPian

Default Interesting comparision

This article compares the Holden (GM Captiva), the CRV and the upcoming Outlander, besides others that dont matter to the Indian buyers.

Compact soft-roader:Holden Captiva v Honda CR-V v Mazda CX-7 v Mitsubishi Outlander v Subaru Forester v Toyota RAV4 - drive.com.au

The Verdict

There's nothing like competition to improve a breed and this segment is as tough as they get. Which means that none of the vehicles we tested were below par. The Captiva was, however, a little out of its depth in this company. It is honest enough but it doesn't have the confidence on the road nor the cabin refinement to mix it with the best in class.

The Forester and the Outlander are both a step up from the Captiva. The Forester is quick and capable and a solid option for people who don't need lots of space, while the Outlander is great value, if a little rough around the edges. But both fall short of excelling in this company.

The Mazda CX-7 is great value and lots of fun to drive on the open road. For many, it ticks all the rational boxes and adds a few emotional ones that the CR-V and RAV4 don't. But its unhealthy thirst for premium unleaded lets it down.

That leaves the Honda CR-V and the RAV4, which both have the best balance of comfort, practicality, economy and space that soft-roader buyers want. Some will go for the Honda's classier cabin and better road manners, others for Toyota's renowned reliability and resale values.

For us, though, the CR-V wins because it delivers the consistency of a RAV4 with a little more personality.
Old 4th February 2008, 01:26   #167
BHPian

Default spotted: Captiva in Pune

Looks like GM has started the deliveries of Captiva in Pune. Today i saw one golden colored Captiva(with temporary regn) on the S.B. Road near Symbiosis College. Found the car to be much better looking than the new CRV., IMO.
Old 4th February 2008, 14:13   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
This article compares the Holden (GM Captiva), the CRV and the upcoming Outlander, besides others that dont matter to the Indian buyers.

Compact soft-roader:Holden Captiva v Honda CR-V v Mazda CX-7 v Mitsubishi Outlander v Subaru Forester v Toyota RAV4 - drive.com.au

The Verdict

There's nothing like competition to improve a breed and this segment is as tough as they get. Which means that none of the vehicles we tested were below par. The Captiva was, however, a little out of its depth in this company. It is honest enough but it doesn't have the confidence on the road nor the cabin refinement to mix it with the best in class.

The Forester and the Outlander are both a step up from the Captiva. The Forester is quick and capable and a solid option for people who don't need lots of space, while the Outlander is great value, if a little rough around the edges. But both fall short of excelling in this company.

The Mazda CX-7 is great value and lots of fun to drive on the open road. For many, it ticks all the rational boxes and adds a few emotional ones that the CR-V and RAV4 don't. But its unhealthy thirst for premium unleaded lets it down.

That leaves the Honda CR-V and the RAV4, which both have the best balance of comfort, practicality, economy and space that soft-roader buyers want. Some will go for the Honda's classier cabin and better road manners, others for Toyota's renowned reliability and resale values.

For us, though, the CR-V wins because it delivers the consistency of a RAV4 with a little more personality.
Those are with PETROL versions. In Diesel segment, in India, Captiva will hold its own. Honda is not going to bring in their diesel as according them, Diesel quality in India below standards. So that comparison for Indian customers is immaterial.

I think, Captiva has done its homework well in India. GM will NOT bring in their petrol version as they are all set to make merry with their VCDI powered Captiva.
Old 4th February 2008, 14:17   #169
Senior - BHPian

it indeed is mor impressive than the ctv in my opinion too

i just hope it was good sales(better than the forester)

i know this is not exactly a replacement for forester, but still i hope GM does well woth its sales this time cause even though its a totally different vehicle it still is targeting the same market afterall
Old 6th February 2008, 21:13   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimster View Post
Why is any paying such an exorbitant amount for a Daewoo built 2WD?Suzuki sounds like a much better deal.If you want to spend more I would suggest a CRV that Honda reliable.Is this sold as a 7 seater?
What makes you think that Honda CRV is not overpriced?
Old 7th February 2008, 14:42   #171
BHPian

It's beyond me why they chose to delete traction control from the truck when its FWD?The damn thing is going to torque steer like crazy.
Anyway the following link is a better comparo-
2008 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4, 2007 Hyundai Tucson Limited 4WD, 2008 Ford Escape XLT AWD, 2008 Saturn Vue XE AWD, 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4WD XSport, 2008 Mitsubishi Outlander SE 4WD, 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD, 2008 Honda CR-V EX 4WD, 2008 Toyota RAV
Old 7th February 2008, 18:04   #172
BHPian

Hey,forgot mentioning that the Saturn Vue is the Chevrolet Captiva-well they are based on the GM theta platform,so quite similar
Old 13th February 2008, 23:20   #173
BHPian

The captiva is sold out in delhi/ncr till april.

Each dealer has only been allocated 5 cars each month and since its a CBU import its not easy to increase supply.

furthermore - none of the dealers in delhi have the car available for a test drive as yet-been asked to wait until monday atleast.

Surprising strategy from gm to launch the car without having adequate supplies arranged.

Last edited by girishg : 13th February 2008 at 23:32.
Old 13th February 2008, 23:30   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Those are with PETROL versions. In Diesel segment, in India, Captiva will hold its own. Honda is not going to bring in their diesel as according them, Diesel quality in India below standards. So that comparison for Indian customers is immaterial.

I think, Captiva has done its homework well in India. GM will NOT bring in their petrol version as they are all set to make merry with their VCDI powered Captiva.
Honda must be joking. We have Merc Beemers and lots.

Maybe Honda's is all hype!

Toyota salesman says Captiva got lots of bookings here at Tvm!
Old 14th February 2008, 00:04   #175
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
hmm....good synergy between japs and americans.
Old 14th February 2008, 00:44   #176
BHPian

I too was very interested in this SUV until i was told from a GM official(gurgaon) that the price would fall in the region of CR-V .. I tried to convince the guy that if priced in that region it would not going to be a big success and i was extremely surprised to hear that there has been more than 4000 buyers(all over india) eagerly awaiting to book the car ...

That was the moment i thought and was convinced that this car will not be in the region of 17 lacs and the very next day i went ahead and booked the Laura ... I am quite happy i made the right choice ....

No manufacturer will price a car lower than its competitiors once they get such a healthy response from the market months before its launch ...

I took a very short TD few days ago and i feel its main USP is the Diesel engine, the CR-V seemed quite ahead in the overall driving experience (i may be wrong as i didnt get to drive more than a KM) .
Old 16th February 2008, 11:48   #177
BHPian

I saw a Captiva on the eastern express highway today. As I drove up behind it, I couldnt figure out which SUV it was, then saw the bowtie symbol and guessed its the Captiva.

IMHO, it's back-end looks terribly confused and dare I say quite ugly too. The front-end is a different matter altogether and looks appropriate for an SUV. Seems to me like both ends were designed by different chaps.

Haven't got any pics of it though as I was the only one in the car at the time.
Old 16th February 2008, 13:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
hmm....good synergy between japs and americans.
Japs and Koreans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
I took a very short TD few days ago and i feel its main USP is the Diesel engine, the CR-V seemed quite ahead in the overall driving experience (i may be wrong as i didnt get to drive more than a KM) .
You are right, the CRV is indeed better as far as driving experience is concerned with better handling to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhelm View Post
IMHO, it's back-end looks terribly confused and dare I say quite ugly too.
the rear is really fugly, i dont know how GM even managed to design a ugly rear and a good front?
Old 17th February 2008, 12:52   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
CRV costs an arm and a leg to drive and to maintain. Also, the fuel economy of CRV is horrible. The new 2.0 version of CRV is much weaker and Captiva kills CRV in torque. IMO, apart from the excellent handling, CRV is not that thrilling to drive. Captiva's winning USP is not only diesel engine but a rather powerful and refined diesel engine.
Old 17th February 2008, 12:56   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Honda must be joking. We have Merc Beemers and lots.

Maybe Honda's is all hype!

I agree that Honda is Honda but it's way too overhyped and some of their statements are laughable! Audi, Merc and BMW must be laughing their @$$e$ off after hearing this statement!
Closed Thread