Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th January 2008, 17:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Seatbelts are not always a lifesaver. I used to work with someone who was friends with someone who lost his wife in a car crash because she was buckled up. He was not wearing his belt and was flung clear from the car. His wife remained trapped as the car rolled etc and sustained injuries which killed her.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Seatbelts are not always a lifesaver. I used to work with someone who was friends with someone who lost his wife in a car crash because she was buckled up. He was not wearing his belt and was flung clear from the car. His wife remained trapped as the car rolled etc and sustained injuries which killed her.

What makes you think not wearing the seat belt would have saved her? Your friend must thank his stars that he was safely thrown off and saved. The probability of survival is increased by wearing seat belts. It doesn't mean that it is a sure shot method of survival in case of an accident.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 17:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
bigmanSeatbelts are not always a lifesaver. I used to work with someone who was friends with someone who lost his wife in a car crash because she was buckled up. He was not wearing his belt and was flung clear from the car. His wife remained trapped as the car rolled etc and sustained injuries which killed her.
Completely agree with burnt.. The force with one could be flung out of a car itself could be fatal. I think your friend was damn lucky.
@bigman: Don't let that encourage you to avoid wearing a seat belt.
Freaky_Sid!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 21:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Bottom line,if there's provision to get a car fitted with seatbelts,go for it.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Back as well as front.

Its a bummer, sitting there securely held by your own belt, to be killed by the person sitting in the back seat hitting you on their way out through the windscreen.

We just have to accept that car accidents involve the risk of serious injury and death. I do think that if people thought a little more about that then they would drive better.

There is little we can do to be 100 immune from this risk, other than drive a tank, perhaps --- we can only minimise the risks, and make the best of what we have.

Wearing the seat belts comes top of that list. People are still going to die in accidents, safety features or not. It is no argument against the safety features.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely, Thad. Accidents will happen,no matter what. The safest a person can be is by using seatbelts.
Nitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:46   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
The point in time the body is escaping a car that is rolling on a longitudinal axis, the possibilities of the body being severed by any of the numerous components of the vehicle or being hit by an external object is far more probable. It is just providence that saved your friend, who might have been killed had he been inside.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 00:15   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend left the road while travelling on a British motorway.

His Nissan Micra rolled six times before coming to rest.

He was wearing a seatbelt.

He got a cut finger.
Old 17th January 2008, 02:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My friend left the road while travelling on a British motorway.

His Nissan Micra rolled six times before coming to rest.

He was wearing a seatbelt.

He got a cut finger.
I wonder what would have happened if he had been in a Chinese Cherry.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 12:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

He got a new car from the insurers too, the car he wrecked was only a few months old.

But this method of car replacement is not recommended !

Of course this is a freak escape --- most people, even seat-belted, in this kind of an accident would be seriously injured. The rescue services had to cut the car apart to get him out, and were astonished to find him unharmed.

But, without a seat belt, I am sure he would not still be with us.
Old 17th January 2008, 16:41   #26
BHPian

Do all new jeeps from M&M come with seat belts. My 95 make MM540 never had one ? I am aware that Bolero's come with seat belts but what abt the Majors and 540's any idea ?
jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 18:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Do all new jeeps from M&M come with seat belts. My 95 make MM540 never had one ? I am aware that Bolero's come with seat belts but what abt the Majors and 540's any idea ?
I think the cutoff dates for seatbelts to be mandatory is 1996 and not 1994. This explains why your Mahindra didn't have any.

All Mahindras... right from the three wheeled Mahindra Champion to its LCVs have seatbelts as mandated by the law of the land.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2008, 20:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the replies bro... actually i did not want to get the seat belts fitted cause i have seen some of the cars having retrofitted but they are really bad so its better not to have one than having one that would pure strangle you or with wich you will have to wrestle before you wear it... but still thanks for the reply the car would be used for normal city runns.. no intensions to take it to the higways for that i have my Bullet... and that does me good and i dont have to worry about wearing a seat belt on that its just that i have a Helmet that takes care of me...
but again thanks all you alll
desideep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2008, 17:21   #29
BHPian

The retrofitting thing has never worked and never will.Why did the government wake up so late to the whole seat-belt concept? Well atleast in a couple of years most of the cars without seat belts will be too old to ply on the roads.
katalysm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 13:24   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Seat Belts in the old cars

Quick question:

If I retro-fit a M800 that came with no rear seat-belts, would that be as good as original fitment - even if fitted by Maruti themselves?
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote