Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th January 2008, 13:59   #31
BHPian

Default What happened to those hyped Chinese Two wheelers?

I do read in Outlook two years back about Yamaha's two wheeler, that was lincensed to produce by 5 different Manaufacturers in China. But now more that 20 companies are producing them.

What happened to those hyped Chinese Two wheelers? They didn't pass the homolocation, emission norms in Pune only few are passed but they are not worth buying.

But inidian Automobile industries started buying spares from OEMs from China, like our Cycle industires. TI -Tube investments group, that owns, Hercules, Philips, BSA and other brans imports most of the spares from China.
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:37   #32
BHPian

Let them copy.

If they want to copy, no body can prevent them anyway. At least we should be happy as they will now copy an Indian design instead of an American/European one!
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 15:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Would Nano be copied by the Chinese? Yes, they sure will.
What would they call it? I guess 'Cheeno' is not a bad name! cheers:
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 16:32   #34
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Would Nano be copied by the Chinese? Yes, they sure will.
What would they call it? I guess 'Cheeno' is not a bad name! cheers:
hahahaha !! good one man !! h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s !!
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 17:22   #35
BHPian

The chinese doesn't copy stuff for the pleasure of copying. They copy to sell the product somewhere and make money.

With the time, effort and money involved in copying the nano, and trying to make it cheaper than the already highly engineered, and possibly subsidized price, they can copy some other car that can get them some money in return.
DileepKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 18:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats a first!

Nano is a copy of what?
of the SMART. funny bit was my cuzins in uk asked me why would one pay 2500 pounds for an ipod nano, then i had to specify its a car. lol
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 19:10   #37
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post
The chinese doesn't copy stuff for the pleasure of copying. They copy to sell the product somewhere and make money.

With the time, effort and money involved in copying the nano, and trying to make it cheaper than the already highly engineered, and possibly subsidized price, they can copy some other car that can get them some money in return.
well, i think nano is a profitable venture. You can make tons of money out of it.

Assuming tatas make 5k per nano and they sell 3 lakhs p.a, you are looking at 150 crore Rs. And the 3 lakhs p.a will be limited by their manifacturing capacity. if they can manufacture more, they will be able to sell more.
LLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 14:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
well, i think nano is a profitable venture. You can make tons of money out of it.

Assuming tatas make 5k per nano and they sell 3 lakhs p.a, you are looking at 150 crore Rs. And the 3 lakhs p.a will be limited by their manifacturing capacity. if they can manufacture more, they will be able to sell more.
Now compare that with the investment of 1700 crores and the payback Period will be 11 years (intrest not included).

Then there will be warrenty costs etc. So money making will be a long term goal.

As far as the Chinese copying it goes, this was the first thing that came to my mind when I was watching the unvailing. Very much possible.
Car-Agey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 15:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Yes

Whom have the Chinese spared???
Matiz was copied, CRV was copied, mercedez was copied. The list just goes on.

There is also a rule( I dont know that it exists right now or not) that if an automobile company wants to manufacture cars in China, then it has to find a partner in China and it has to be with partnership.

Thats how the copying has reduced. Even the bajaj Pulsar was copied and sold with the name "Gulsar".

But the quality will be 25% of what tata gives, overall the car will sell in china only. They cannot step up in India with that car.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 17:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DileepKS View Post

Do they actually sell any of these copied cars abroad (besides the Matiz copy) ? Never seen one of these Chinese clone cars in UK, France or Spain.

Maybe they are limited to the domestic Chinese market, in which case copying the NANO make sense as there is plenty of room for a cheap car in China.

The chinese military is also known for copying foreign armour. They have copied old MIG fighters (Pakistan bought some in kit form) and the AK47. The Isrealis copied the Mirage from designs stolen in France.

Last edited by bigman : 15th January 2008 at 17:18.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 18:12   #41

I have found a chinese car forum showing possibly a copy of Daewoo Tico as being their $2500 car. Here's the link:

Search for daewoo tico at China Car Times

They have also posted an article from The Economist explaining why India might be ahead in the car innovation world, where as the Chinese are copying.

The Economist on Chinese Cars at China Car Times
Rarrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2008, 18:27   #42
BHPian

Tata's have made their point already, and if copied too, the imitations would not garner as much response as this one. They would have to do it silently/locally without projecting it for the whole world to rave about. isn't it?
dkamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 16:04   #43
BHPian

Default ya right

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A chinese nano will sell only in china.
Lets get real.
Chinese clones of high end cars are less safe than a 800. So chinese will have a chinese nano to ferry people in china.
they tried to sell cheap bikes in India, but buying christmas lights is different from buying cars
Ya right on tht my friend
katalysm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 19:58   #44
BHPian

Forget copying, Indian automakers not even inspired by the most stylish cars by MNC cos.
TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2008, 22:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Forget copying, Indian automakers not even inspired by the most stylish cars by MNC cos.
Did TATA not copy the Land Rover Discovery to produce the Safari ?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote