Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 22:04   #256
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Buy extended wty & be very careful not to do anything that will void your wty. Even using anything with better specs than what the TASS will use.
That's true, which makes life happy for both the car and the owner......
gowda79 is offline  
Old 7th March 2008, 22:09   #257
LLL
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 634
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Even using anything with better specs than what the TASS will use.
thats a real mean remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
That's true, which makes life happy for both the car and the owner......
LLL is offline  
Old 7th March 2008, 22:32   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
i hope tatas are reading this forum and would do something about the rear.
The main issue at the rear is mainly the mismatch of the overall shape with the horizontal tail lights. The Lights are begging to be vertical.

The D-pillar top part is too empty, needs some details to be added.
1100D is offline  
Old 8th March 2008, 08:37   #259
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,750
Thanked: 4,339 Times
Default

Quote:
condor : Even using anything with better specs than what the TASS will use.
LLL : thats a real mean remark
Unfortunately, true.

Example : The TASS will use engine oil of the grade specified in the owner's manual. If you want to use anything better, you cant. They wont do it for you, and if you dont get things done from the TASS - they consider it that you havent done it at all ! So your (extended) wty will be void.

Quote:
zenx : I guess the lack of the door lends to better rigidity.
You mean there's no rear door at all ?!

Quote:
LLL : i hope tatas are reading this forum and would do something about the rear.
zenx : ..its hardly a beauty contest at all
1100D : The Lights are begging to be vertical. .. The D-pillar top part is too empty, needs some details to be added.
Guys, are we expecting a new vehicle to be on the lines of previous models / similar models (Scorpio, Tavera, Innova etc ?)

While a new model will invite comparison with existing models, but we also need to consider some things on their own.

Adding the spare wheel to the rear door will mean Tata will have to strengthen the rear door support to prevent rattling. The spare wheel being mounted on the rear door does help in the looks department. But a spare wheel mounted below the body also makes it very dirty - esp in the monsoons. So much that you'd want to wash it first before you touch it. And that's something you wont have the time for when you are trying to change a flat tyre.

Last edited by condor : 8th March 2008 at 08:52.
condor is online now  
Old 8th March 2008, 16:44   #260
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: India
Posts: 360
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

I saw the full page advertisement in newspapers for the Grande Sumo. I think it managed to convey the general idea quite well, and will definitely convince Scorpio and even most Innova buyers to make a trip to the Tata showrooms.

Of the two, the Scorpio will certainly suffer the most, Tata didn't really have a contemporary vehicle in this class/price point and they had given away the market share. Now they'll regain it at other's expense.
SuperSyn is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 15:19   #261
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba24 View Post
Tata should move the safari to the lower variant to compete with the Bolero and keep the grande a straight forward competitor with the scorpio.

Being a Safari lover, I was feeling bad about people comparing it with Scorpio. I felt that Safari was in a league higher like that of the Endeavor. (though Safari had its shortfalls in refinement)

Bringing the low-end varaint down to Bolero levels is like killing the brand.

I feel that the low-end variant of Safari was introduced to counter Scorpio. Now, with Sumo Grande being launched, the Tata guys should stop the low-end variant and concentrate in bringin out the next-gen Safari with very good refinement levels by 2009. (I believe the plastic quality and refinement levels of the new Indica V3 is supposed to have impressed many)
drsk is offline  
Old 11th March 2008, 06:06   #262
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Regarding leaf spring rear suspension

I recollect reading that the rear leaf spring suspension in Grande is some minor cause for discomfort in terms of ride quality.

I did a quick check around and found the following
  • Sumo Victa - Rear, Parabolic Leaf Spring
  • Sumo Grande - Rear, Parabolic Leaf Spring
  • Mahindra Scorpio - Rear, Leaf Spring
  • Mahindra Bolero - Rear, Elliptical Leaf Spring
  • Tata Safari - 5 link Suspension with coil springs
  • Ford Endeavor - Progressive Linear Rate Leaf Springs with low friction pads
Given that the Sumo stable as well as Mahindra Scorpio/Bolero have leaf spring suspension in the rear, won't the ride quality in Grande be equally good/bad when compared to those ?

I'm a layman and don't understand what "leaf spring suspension" actually translates to (will google it up some time), but the few times I read about the concerns on ride quality due to leaf spring suspension, I was a bit worried. Now that I look around, it's more or less the same in the other vehicles as well. Not that Tata couldn't have improved on Grande being the family MUV and decent top-class to have something better, but per se, this doesn't seem such a bad thing after all.

Comments ?
sudhirlp is offline  
Old 11th March 2008, 08:29   #263
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,750
Thanked: 4,339 Times
Default

Quote:
sudhirlp : Given that the Sumo stable as well as Mahindra Scorpio/Bolero have leaf spring suspension in the rear, won't the ride quality in Grande be equally good/bad when compared to those ?
Just having leaf springs doesn't mean everything about the behaviour of a suspension system. It's the design & the over-all package. Even a Tavera has leaf springs at the rear. How do you find the ride on that ?

Quote:
sudhirlp : I'm a layman and don't understand what "leaf spring suspension" actually translates to..
You would have seen it all around you. Look under the rear wheels of any truck and on the inside of each wheel(s), you'll find a set of long metallic blades stacked together. The set will consist of blades of progressively reducing lenghts. That's a leaf spring.
condor is online now  
Old 11th March 2008, 17:27   #264
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Even a Tavera has leaf springs at the rear. How do you find the ride on that ?
Don't know. Haven't been in one to be able to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You would have seen it all around you. Look under the rear wheels of any truck and on the inside of each wheel(s), you'll find a set of long metallic blades stacked together. The set will consist of blades of progressively reducing lenghts. That's a leaf spring.
Thanks for reminding. Now, I recall.

Well, I learnt that parabolic leaf springs are recent inventions and bring ride quality closer to that of coil springs. Also, SUVs are generally fitted with leaf springs.

Well, Google and Wikipedia to the rescue. There's enough information there for laymen for a start.

Last edited by Technocrat : 11th March 2008 at 17:38. Reason: please use edit instead of making back to back post
sudhirlp is offline  
Old 11th March 2008, 19:37   #265
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirlp View Post
Well, I learnt that parabolic leaf springs are recent inventions and bring ride quality closer to that of coil springs. Also, SUVs are generally fitted with leaf springs.
Parabolics have been around for a long time, even in India. Their advantage over conventional leaf springs is by way of weight reduction rather than ride quality improvement.
directinjection is offline  
Old 17th March 2008, 22:53   #266
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 80
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Incidentally autocar india says in its Mar 2008 review of Tata Sumo Grande that the ABS version is not far off. I don't know if they are speculating or whether the company confirmed that.

Does anyone know ?
sudhirlp is offline  
Old 19th March 2008, 20:50   #267
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirlp View Post
I recollect reading that the rear leaf spring suspension in Grande is some minor cause for discomfort in terms of ride quality.

I did a quick check around and found the following
  • Sumo Victa - Rear, Parabolic Leaf Spring
  • Sumo Grande - Rear, Parabolic Leaf Spring
  • Mahindra Scorpio - Rear, Leaf Spring
  • Mahindra Bolero - Rear, Elliptical Leaf Spring
  • Tata Safari - 5 link Suspension with coil springs
  • Ford Endeavor - Progressive Linear Rate Leaf Springs with low friction pads
Given that the Sumo stable as well as Mahindra Scorpio/Bolero have leaf spring suspension in the rear, won't the ride quality in Grande be equally good/bad when compared to those ?

I'm a layman and don't understand what "leaf spring suspension" actually translates to (will google it up some time), but the few times I read about the concerns on ride quality due to leaf spring suspension, I was a bit worried. Now that I look around, it's more or less the same in the other vehicles as well. Not that Tata couldn't have improved on Grande being the family MUV and decent top-class to have something better, but per se, this doesn't seem such a bad thing after all.

Comments ?
mahindra has abondoned the leaf spring setup for the scorpio long back. the new mHawk as well as the old CRDe scorpio uses coil springs like the safari and not leaf springs.
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 20th March 2008, 00:20   #268
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirlp View Post
I'm a layman and don't understand what "leaf spring suspension" actually translates to (will google it up some time), but the few times I read about the concerns on ride quality due to leaf spring suspension, I was a bit worried. Now that I look around, it's more or less the same in the other vehicles as well. Not that Tata couldn't have improved on Grande being the family MUV and decent top-class to have something better, but per se, this doesn't seem such a bad thing after all.

Comments ?
It doesn't matter if its leaf or coil, as long as it works to satisfy modern expectation of ride and handling. There must have been some reason why the rear suspension from the safari was not adopted on this, given that this was a grounds-up new product. (Or was it the constraint of continuing to use earlier Sumo underpinnings)
1100D is offline  
Old 18th April 2008, 09:28   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Sumo Grande will not be able to kill Scorpio
Never forget since a car has a lot to do with Heart over Head - many enthusiasts will go for the Scorpio's Image, proven toughness, performance and comfort - end of the day the Sumo Grande is only another choice in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
It doesn't matter if its leaf or coil, as long as it works to satisfy modern expectation of ride and handling. There must have been some reason why the rear suspension from the safari was not adopted on this, given that this was a grounds-up new product. (Or was it the constraint of continuing to use earlier Sumo underpinnings)
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 18th April 2008, 12:38   #270
BHPian
 
ajnagpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nagpur, Pune, Washington DC
Posts: 253
Thanked: 143 Times
Default Looks

Mahindra has to upgrade the Scorpio looks.... its feels old style nowadays.

Sumo Grande beats Scorpio hands on in terms of looks.
ajnagpur is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari or Tata Sumo Grande orrr... what?? EDIT: Finally it is a Mahindra Scorpio gshanky SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 90 29th January 2010 20:39
SCOOP! New Tata Sumo Picture. EDIT : Now launched as Sumo Grande MillionSwords The Indian Car Scene 217 26th October 2009 20:16
Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX drmessiah SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 11 20th April 2009 18:16
Sumo Grande GX or Scorpio DX or Safari LX sudhirlp SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 44 15th April 2008 10:20
Repainting & "Sumo to Sumo victa" conversion. Advice needed. nitrous Modifications & Accessories 0 21st November 2005 12:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks