Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 16:00   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
This surely eat into scorpio market, for the simple reason that a very large number of scorpios are being used as taxis. The personal user segment may not be effected.
I never saw a large number of Scorpio taxis,which city are you talking about?
.anshuman is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 16:04   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 333
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

I am talking about Delhi, and most of them are bought as private cars and used as taxis.

I personally know six scorpio owners and unfortunately all six use it as a Taxi. All have white number plates and available at IGI as a private taxi.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 15th January 2008 at 16:08.
Car-Agey is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 16:10   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I never saw a large number of Scorpio taxis,which city are you talking about?
Come to Punjab there are plenty of Scorpio taxis and Safari taxis. Even little taxi stands in large villages have both vehicles as taxis.

On my last visit I saw Scorpio and Safari taxis in Sangrur, Patiala, Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Phagwara and Amritsar. I live in Haryana and even here we had a Scoprio taxi in a nearby village (although the guy has now sold it).

Last edited by bigman : 15th January 2008 at 16:11.
bigman is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 19:59   #34
BHPian
 
katalysm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 120
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Sumo Grande Vs Scorpio

Well with Tatas coming out with the New Sumo Grande, Scorpio is sure to take a hit in sales unless they do wonders with the New scorpio M-Hawk which is due anytime now.
Having said that I must also say that the two cars are priced very differently, the scorpio is almost 2lac more expensive than the Grande and im sure the M-Hawk will be even more expensive.

>>AK
katalysm76 is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 22:35   #35
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default

Ha ha.... one more Safari Scorpio fight to fit in for plight of Sumo Grande

Yes i agree. Safari cant beat such a low scale sales managed by Scorpio.

For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road.

Sumo Grande will surely hit Scorpio sales.

Lets do a small compare

Sumo Grande= 2.2 ltr DICOR 120 BHP
Scorpio M Hawk= 2.2 ltr CRDE 120 BHP

Sumo Grande= More Leg/Head and Luggage room
Scorpio M Hawk= Still the same old cramped interiors.

Safari 2.2 DICOR = 2.2 ltr DICOR 140 BHP
Safari 2.2 DICOR = Great Space all over(MINI HOME)

Man Lets compare apples to apples.

Safari is way beyond your comparision.

Lets not get into this duel again, Whatever outcome is known by one and all.

Why are everyone in a hurry to disintegrate the old Scorpio(I didnt get the sting).Its still a good SUV and let it remain that way guys.
PAVAN KADAM is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 22:55   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road.

Sumo Grande will surely hit Scorpio sales.

Lets do a small compare

Sumo Grande= 2.2 ltr DICOR 120 BHP
Scorpio M Hawk= 2.2 ltr CRDE 120 BHP

Sumo Grande= More Leg/Head and Luggage room
Scorpio M Hawk= Still the same old cramped interiors.

Safari 2.2 DICOR = 2.2 ltr DICOR 140 BHP
Safari 2.2 DICOR = Great Space all over(MINI HOME)

Man Lets compare apples to apples.

Safari is way beyond your comparision.

Lets not get into this duel again, Whatever outcome is known by one and all.

Why are everyone in a hurry to disintegrate the old Scorpio(I didnt get the sting).Its still a good SUV and let it remain that way guys.
Do you have evidence to prove "For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road"?we are talking numbers here.

There is a lot more than XXXbhp@XXXXrpm to a vehicle.All vehicles especially Scorpio and Safari have their own merits and demerits.to list a few Scorpio cant beat Safari for comfort and space but most new Safaris come with manufacturing defects.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 23:37   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Do you have evidence to prove "For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road"?we are talking numbers here.

There is a lot more than XXXbhp@XXXXrpm to a vehicle.All vehicles especially Scorpio and Safari have their own merits and demerits.to list a few Scorpio cant beat Safari for comfort and space but most new Safaris come with manufacturing defects.

Its always the same when this old arguement starts. More about wet dreams over the Safari when growing up and going through puberty than any real rationale behind the claims.

The usual, Safari handles better theory has been tested and in a cone test it was found wanting even compared to the pre Lotus tuned suspension Scorpio.

Yes the Safari has poor finish but so the Scorpio also has quality problems. There are design problems which mean that if you go through a puddle of water the windscreen is engulfed in water . The Mahindras have not even bothered to replace the factory supplied jack which is like a sponge condom when it comes to usability.
bigman is offline  
Old 15th January 2008, 23:50   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,985
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default Thums up for Sumo Grande

Anshuman, don't you read auto mags like autocar and overdrive? both mags say that new safari 2.2. dicor can easily beat scorpio's 2.2 hawk in top speed and acceleration. isn't that reason enough to tip scales in favour of safari? I mean performance has always been scorpio's forte and it alwys used to blow safari into weeds. but looks like tables have turned. all that performance plus spacious interiors should make safari a better choice what with all that full size SUV looks.

As for Sumo Grande, it just rocks. look at that shape. doesn't it resemble mitsu montero? i don't understand you guys. How come that shape is welcome on a montero but not on a sumo. it looks stunning and with increased length, third row will be much more spacious than in a scorpio. it may be an MUV but i'm sure it will affect acorpio and innova sales too. an SUV looking MUV for 8 lakhs with spacious interiors , all new look, powerful CRD engine---- what more can one ask? i can't digest innova and tavera's van like looks. and Bolero looks too boxy, cramped and too rudimentary. that only left safari and scorpio. well Grande is the new addition to steal the thunder. i also do not understand all the fuss some guys make about sumo or for that matter scorpio being used as taxis. so what? go to any five star hotels and you will also see accents, fiestas, skodas, camrys, accords, BMWs and Mercs with yellow plates. what about this then?
pgsagar is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 00:55   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Anshuman, don't you read auto mags like autocar and overdrive? both mags say that new safari 2.2. dicor can easily beat scorpio's 2.2 hawk in top speed and acceleration. isn't that reason enough to tip scales in favour of safari? I mean performance has always been scorpio's forte and it alwys used to blow safari into weeds. but looks like tables have turned. all that performance plus spacious interiors should make safari a better choice what with all that full size SUV looks.

As for Sumo Grande, it just rocks. look at that shape. doesn't it resemble mitsu montero? i don't understand you guys. How come that shape is welcome on a montero but not on a sumo. it looks stunning and with increased length, third row will be much more spacious than in a scorpio. it may be an MUV but i'm sure it will affect acorpio and innova sales too. an SUV looking MUV for 8 lakhs with spacious interiors , all new look, powerful CRD engine---- what more can one ask? i can't digest innova and tavera's van like looks. and Bolero looks too boxy, cramped and too rudimentary. that only left safari and scorpio. well Grande is the new addition to steal the thunder. i also do not understand all the fuss some guys make about sumo or for that matter scorpio being used as taxis. so what? go to any five star hotels and you will also see accents, fiestas, skodas, camrys, accords, BMWs and Mercs with yellow plates. what about this then?
read the magazine again dude(pls tell me page no. and issue),and drive the cars,ACI says scorpio 2.2 is faster.PERIOD
.anshuman is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 01:23   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
Zappo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 5,653
Thanked: 2,013 Times
Default

Warning: Please stick to the topic guys. This is a Sumo/Scorpio thread. Do NOT get Safari into this. Whole of the last one and a half page has degenerated into a Safari-Scorpio mudslinging match. You want to fight this Safari-Scorpio game, take it to one of the Safari vs Scorpio threads on this board. We have enough such available.
Zappo is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 08:24   #41
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default @Zappo

Thanks Zappo for putting the stop on the Safari Vs Scorpio fight.

There is no more comparison with Safari to Scorpio, it is only Sumo Grande Vs Scorpio.

THE SAFARI IS THE KING AND WILL LIVE LIKE A KING FOR EVER
gowda79 is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 13:40   #42
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default

agree moderator,

I feel we should wait till the new Sumo Grande is launched, then we can go on talking about the two.

As of now Sumo Grande is a stunner in its looks.

Thats where Scorpio lags behind.

Lets wait for the final test.

THE SAFARI IS THE KING AND WILL LIVE LIKE A KING FOREVER...
PAVAN KADAM is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 13:43   #43
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,025 Times
Default

its Scorpio Vs Grande thread,despite warning by moderator zappo somepeople are still screaming about safari defending their investment.
.anshuman is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 14:38   #44
BHPian
 
Rough Square's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

One of my friend worked on this research initiated by Toyota some time back - While Innova could beat Scorpio on a number of parameters, Scorpio did better in sales.

So basically - even though the new Sumo is a better product and better value for money than Scorpio, you can never predict who is gonna do better than whom in the market.

Not all consumers are guided by numbers on paper.
Rough Square is offline  
Old 16th January 2008, 15:03   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
ac 427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,332
Thanked: 114 Times
Default

saw the grande at the auto expo. . . it is a well thought car. the tail lights are simply stunning. and specially the seating is well thought too.

only grouse is becase of using comman parts in all cars, the dashboard comes accross as too pale. but the car on the whole is veryvery very impressive.
ac 427 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari or Tata Sumo Grande orrr... what?? EDIT: Finally it is a Mahindra Scorpio gshanky SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 90 29th January 2010 20:39
SCOOP! New Tata Sumo Picture. EDIT : Now launched as Sumo Grande MillionSwords The Indian Car Scene 217 26th October 2009 20:16
Tata Sumo Victa GX IDI Turbo or Sumo Grande GX drmessiah SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 11 20th April 2009 18:16
Sumo Grande GX or Scorpio DX or Safari LX sudhirlp SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 44 15th April 2008 10:20
Repainting & "Sumo to Sumo victa" conversion. Advice needed. nitrous Modifications & Accessories 0 21st November 2005 12:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks