Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


View Poll Results: Which W124?
Mercedes E220 69 33.50%
Mercedes E250 D 137 66.50%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 11:54   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 946
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudesam24 View Post
A dream comes true... Picked up a pristine 1995 made W124 E250D imported into India in 2005 from UK. She is just the thing I always wanted. We call her the Baby Turtle due to the stance of her new 225-60 tyres. Runs like a dream and such a darling.
Congratulations on your E250D, you are one lucky fella I would say. Would you mind if I ask how much you paid. In Bangalore our prices are really out of the world, just not getting a hang of what is the right price. Also, post some pics of your car too.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 12:20   #107
BHPian
 
TRANSAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 558
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

@dudesam, congratulations! on your new ride. Is she a LHD, as the car has come in from the UK? what price did you get her at? do post some pics pls. safe driving...
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 16:53   #108
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 128
Thanked: 125 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

The E250D simply because I have sat in a 1996 Example which has done 250,000 km and is still the ride the owner recommends even though he has newer cars. He simply swears by it for its highway comfort and the large comfy sofa at the back.

The idea is to own a good peppy car for yourself and get a driver for an E250D for the 9 to 5s!
elantracrdi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 20:42   #109
BHPian
 
FlatOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Yorkshire Dales
Posts: 300
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Mercedes 5 and 6 cylinder diesels are in a league of their own due to the use of the inline Bosch injector pump and Mercedes' own design of pre-combustion chamber, instead of the almost universal Ricardo-type on other IDI diesels. And the integration of the automatic clutch transmission with the power units is sublime, especially on the older models which would always set off in 2nd, making most use of the torque converter's characteristics.
FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 10:12   #110
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/TVM
Posts: 326
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Slightly out-of-topic. Forgive me , but which would be the W124 equivalent of a BMW. Equivalent in terms of reliability, longevity and 5,00,000 - 7,00,000 mile cars. An E38 ?
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 12:23   #111
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,882
Thanked: 9,696 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Slightly out-of-topic. Forgive me , but which would be the W124 equivalent of a BMW. Equivalent in terms of reliability, longevity and 5,00,000 - 7,00,000 mile cars. An E38 ?
All BMW petrols are pretty durable especially in manual form. BMW auto boxes are sealed for life so no fluid changes to prolong gearbox life. When that goes, whole car needs to be scrapped due to costs.

BMW Diesels have issues due to burnt turbos and swirl flaps disintegrating in the long term
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 14:02   #112
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 494
Thanked: 348 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

The 250D is a great workhorse...but its a loud, slow engine. If you really want to get a feel for the W124 as it was meant to be, get yourself the E220. It'll humble some of its more modern offspring even today
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:19   #113
BHPian
 
manishk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 351
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Since this thread popped up again after such a long time I thought it was worth mentioning about my cousin's 250 D purchased when it was just launched in 97-98. It has clocked over 300,000 kms - mostly in rural maharashtra, and is still going strong. My cousin's father who has cars like a 2012 S320 and Jaguar XJ in his fleet, still prefers the W124 for long distance travel saying it has the most comfortable back seat.

Last edited by manishk123 : 2nd December 2013 at 12:21.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 16:16   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 492 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

I need some help in deciding which one to vote for

The below were the conclusions I could come to
- A Petrol car could be had for around 2,00,000 and a diesel for 3,50,000, the price difference being one and a half lakhs
- There is a risk that if you purchase a diesel car, the Government might ban vehicles more than 15 years old in all major cities in the future
- Maintenance costs of both are going to remain the same, with diesel everytime you tank up you have a 15 rupees advantage per liter and also get 2 kilomters more per liter
- If one is keeping the car for oneself, only then is petrol recommended, however if one is looking to resell after some time, then diesel will attract more buyers and hold value better
- 66% of the cars manufactured were petrol, so if one is sourcing parts from the international market, petrol cars would be easier to keep on the road, however, 66% of the cars sold in India were diesel, so its easier to get diesel parts in India

All this is not helping me decide which one to vote for!!!

Last edited by TheARUN : 29th May 2015 at 16:17.
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 18:27   #115
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,634
Thanked: 1,261 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
All this is not helping me decide which one to vote for!!!
Buddy,

If you are buying one of these cars today - it isn't because it makes sense to the head. It is because it pulls your heartstrings!

At the end of the day, both the options are proven and reputed in their own ways - just depends on which one has you hooked more!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 19:32   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,552 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I need some help in deciding which one to vote for

The below were the conclusions I could come to
- A Petrol car could be had for around 2,00,000 and a diesel for 3,50,000, the price difference being one and a half lakhs
- There is a risk that if you purchase a diesel car, the Government might ban vehicles more than 15 years old in all major cities in the future
- Maintenance costs of both are going to remain the same, with diesel everytime you tank up you have a 15 rupees advantage per liter and also get 2 kilomters more per liter
- If one is keeping the car for oneself, only then is petrol recommended, however if one is looking to resell after some time, then diesel will attract more buyers and hold value better
- 66% of the cars manufactured were petrol, so if one is sourcing parts from the international market, petrol cars would be easier to keep on the road, however, 66% of the cars sold in India were diesel, so its easier to get diesel parts in India

All this is not helping me decide which one to vote for!!!
If you are going to buy one for the pleasure of driving, i would recommend the E220 over the E250 anyday. The old school diesel though extremely reliable is lethargic and noisy by today's standard's(interiors are well insulated though).
The petrol will be thirsty though. Spares are not too expensive and can be sourced through the right channels.
Also selling one is not easy. An acquaintance has been trying to sell his E250D for past 6 months to no avail.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2015, 20:15   #117
BHPian
 
coloneljasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KL-11
Posts: 682
Thanked: 227 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If you are going to buy one for the pleasure of driving, i would recommend the E220 over the E250 anyday. The old school diesel though extremely reliable is lethargic and noisy by today's standard's(interiors are well insulated though).
The petrol will be thirsty though. Spares are not too expensive and can be sourced through the right channels.
Also selling one is not easy. An acquaintance has been trying to sell his E250D for past 6 months to no avail.
You've nailed it! The E250D is indeed more practical and frugal, however the E220 is more fun to drive. I've recently bought a fairly decent E220 for almost silly money. This petrol Merc may not lightning quick by today's standards but that doesn't mean slow. Far from it, in fact!

The E250D is too slow for my liking, but it's very reliable and can almost run forever. An E300D, a CBU import, is much quicker but well maintained examples are hard to find in India.

Replacement parts for the W124 E220/E250D are fairly easy to source, you won't have to call up your wealth manager every time a part is needed. The electricals and mechanicals are simple enough for your friendly neighbourhood mechanic.
coloneljasi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 19:20   #118
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 494
Thanked: 348 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
Replacement parts for the W124 E220/E250D are fairly easy to source, you won't have to call up your wealth manager every time a part is needed. The electricals and mechanicals are simple enough for your friendly neighbourhood mechanic.
Respectfully, I disagree. Aftermarket, inferior quality parts are available in most instances but Mercedes Benz supplied parts are no longer available outside of filters and fluids. I recently posted that original MB W124 brake kits and parts are no longer available.

This is of particular concern as W123/W124/W126 models are very rugged and reliable but only if original parts are used as part of a strict maintenance schedule. Without these, you are assured of a gradual decline in vehicle health.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 09:25   #119
BHPian
 
coloneljasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: KL-11
Posts: 682
Thanked: 227 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. Aftermarket, inferior quality parts are available in most instances but Mercedes Benz supplied parts are no longer available outside of filters and fluids. I recently posted that original MB W124 brake kits and parts are no longer available.

This is of particular concern as W123/W124/W126 models are very rugged and reliable but only if original parts are used as part of a strict maintenance schedule. Without these, you are assured of a gradual decline in vehicle health.
Each to his own, I always say.

I've been lucky enough to source a lot of genuine parts from MB India, OEM vendors or from online sellers over the last year. Never faced any difficulty, touch wood. But I'm sure you've had a different experience altogether, fair enough.

Some parts are still very expensive when sourced directly from MB India, which is also when I resort to other sources. Not too sure about the brake parts, will check the availability at Pune/RLC Singapore.

I agree with you on the fact that parts quality can and will affect the car's health. No two ways about it.
coloneljasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 15:24   #120
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 494
Thanked: 348 Times
Default Re: W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloneljasi View Post
I've been lucky enough to source a lot of genuine parts from MB India, OEM vendors or from online sellers over the last year. .
Would you mind sharing these OEM vendors and online sellers please? I'm curious to see what kinds of parts you're referring to. To the best of my knowledge, OEM MB parts, especially with rubber ingredients, should never be purchased from any supplier other than official MB channels. Reason: Rubber degrades on the shelf. Some of these sellers have had these parts lying around for years, after purchasing in bulk.

There are a couple 3rd party sellers, however, that have a decent reputation. Eurocarparts is one of them.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The legendary W124 comes home - Mercedes E250D DudeWithaFiat Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 71 18th August 2015 21:48
Mercedes E220 (W124 series) setup Raja In-Car Entertainment 38 21st June 2013 09:47
A used W124 E250D? EDIT : Now bought. Thanks! E250Dreamcar Luxury, Imports & Niche 139 18th June 2010 21:24
My "new" Mercedes E220 (w124 series) Raja Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 19th February 2010 10:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks