Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2009, 13:03   #76
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 460
Thanked: 63 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Landy will definitely cost around 6-7 lakhs. That makes the NDTV news wrong in price factor (3.5 lakhs).

BTW, Landy looks very cool and spacious. Will definitely be a superhit if it comes with a diesel engine.
Please, not again with the same 1.3 FIAT engine. Put in a 1.6L diesel monster and give it a 100+ BHP with enough goodies inside. Maruti, are u listening to me?
balajird is offline  
Old 16th July 2009, 17:50   #77
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
No chance! The current Omni itself is front-heavy (or is it just an illusion?), making it looking like going for a nose dive while on move. A heavier engine will only add to that feeling. Only a bigger-wider tyre will add stability to Omni.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I believe that adding a heavier engine in Omni will spoil its dynamics further. Currently, the nose heaviness is present. I have driven this car and after the M800, the steering was direct, but I was simply too scared to cross 70.
Do you believe or do you know for sure? The engine in the Omni sits behind the driver and the weight distribution is more rear biased compared to most FWD cars.

Secondly the K10 is an aluminum block and is most probably lighter than the F8.
Mpower is offline  
Old 16th July 2009, 18:14   #78
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,491 Times
Default

Quote:
The engine in the Omni sits behind the driver and the weight distribution is more rear biased compared to most FWD cars.
I guess being a RWD also helps, right?
Technocrat is offline  
Old 16th July 2009, 18:50   #79
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,899 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Do you believe or do you know for sure? The engine in the Omni sits behind the driver and the weight distribution is more rear biased compared to most FWD cars.
My thoughts: The engine in Omni is right under the driver's seat, and the driver sits right above the front tyre. That means the driving person's weight is also centered towards the front side. (But in other cars, driver sits well behind the front tyre).

Add to that the weight of the (front and side) glasses and extra metal parts accumulated to the front part due to the van-design. But in other cars, these things are towards the back side.

These 2 things make Omni a front-heavy vehicle.
Attached Images
 
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 16th July 2009, 18:58   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Secondly the K10 is an aluminum block and is most probably lighter than the F8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I guess being a RWD also helps, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
These 2 things make Omni a front-heavy vehicle.
1) The engine is not exactly over the front wheels but just after that IMHO. Havent worked on it off late.

2) The driver sits right above the engine. Dad loves this design. I hate it.

3) RWD never helps. Its only the more direct steering that helps, nothing else. The cars track is too narrow to swallow more power and torque. After driving M800, this feels scary, but the direct steering give some confidence.

4) As far as my reading goes, the motor of A-star weighs in at 47kg dry.

Maruti must be sensible enough to come up with something based on Versa or even the current Wagon R platform. But not Omni.
aaggoswami is offline  
Old 16th July 2009, 19:17   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,899 Times
Default

Sorry for posting again.

Compare Omni and 800 pictures, and you will get how the cabin-forward design of Omni makes it front-heavy.
Attached Images
  
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 16th July 2009, 20:29   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
OMNI doing 100kmph plus.. thats quite rare.. i had a 2004 omni.. which got drowned in 26/7, even when it was 2 days old.. it didnt go over 95kmph..
I ALSO HAS A OMINI i HAVE DRIVEN AT 100KMS SPEED AT TIMES
IQBAL VEERJI is offline  
Old 17th July 2009, 01:22   #83
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I guess being a RWD also helps, right?
Yes it does, beause the weight of the diff, prop, driveshafts and the gearbox is more towards the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) RWD never helps. Its only the more direct steering that helps, nothing else. The cars track is too narrow to swallow more power and torque.

After driving M800, this feels scary, but the direct steering give some confidence.
RWD never helps??? could you please substantiate your statement. And what exactly is direct steering and how is it different from in-direct steering..and how does it help with nosedive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
My thoughts: The engine in Omni is right under the driver's seat, and the driver sits right above the front tyre. That means the driving person's weight is also centered towards the front side. (But in other cars, driver sits well behind the front tyre).

Add to that the weight of the (front and side) glasses and extra metal parts accumulated to the front part due to the van-design. But in other cars, these things are towards the back side.

These 2 things make Omni a front-heavy vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Sorry for posting again.

Compare Omni and 800 pictures, and you will get how the cabin-forward design of Omni makes it front-heavy.
Well Mithun you are right that the passenger is towards the front of the vehicle (that is fixed) but this discussion is about replacing the F8 with K10. The engine sits low and aft of the front wheels and making it heavier will lower the CG and make it more stable. In a typical FWD car the engine hangs in front of the front wheels and therefore will have a more severe effect.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th July 2009 at 18:54.
Mpower is offline  
Old 17th July 2009, 08:18   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
RWD never helps??? could you please substantiate your statement. And what exactly is direct steering and how is it different from in-direct steering..and now does it help with nosedive.
I have driven this car and could not find it confidence inspiring in comparison to M800. The dynamics were not very good, I mean at reasonable speeds the car is not as stable as M800.

Theorotically RWD might be helpful, but to me, I found out that RWD in Omni is not so helpful in stability matters.

Direct steering : From this I meant that steering is quite direct in action and feel as compared to M800. I have not heard of indirect steering. But Omni has a steering that is more direct than M800. It helps in giving some confidence.
aaggoswami is offline  
Old 17th July 2009, 08:46   #85
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,083
Thanked: 252 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
3) RWD never helps. Its only the more direct steering that helps, nothing else.
Aggo, that's a shocking thing to say!
All the best cars are STILL being made RWD. Front wheel drive is just a cost cutting exercise!

And when you go to the bad, unpaved roads in the hills, you'll realize another shocking trait of FWD cars - they throw small stones and gravel at their own underbellies with a vengeance that is positively scary, apart from being very loud! Almost like having gone into a self-destruct mode!
anupmathur is offline  
Old 17th July 2009, 08:54   #86
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Aggo, that's a shocking thing to say!
All the best cars are STILL being made RWD. Front wheel drive is just a cost cutting exercise!

And when you go to the bad, unpaved roads in the hills, you'll realize another shocking trait of FWD cars - they throw small stones and gravel at their own underbellies with a vengeance that is positively scary, apart from being very loud! Almost like having gone into a self-destruct mode!
A BMW might be good, but not Omni that is what I can tell you from my experience. In 8-seater version, a lot of load was concentrated on front rather than rear when the car was fully loaded. The front end being more loaded was never experienced by me at that time ( I had just got license ). Omni's wheelbase is not sufficient IMO to get full benefits of RWD. May be my comments for this car are a bit odd because when I drove that car, I was a newbie driver, not as experienced as I am now. But any given day, I am not comfortable driving this car.

About FWD cars throwing stones, etc., sometimes on slippery surface its nice to floor the pedal and feel those spinning wheels.
aaggoswami is offline  
Old 17th July 2009, 12:02   #87
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,491 Times
Default

@aaggoswami- My statement was in continuation to what Mpower said earlier & he got it right. What I meant was that having a middle-front engine With RWD helps in weight distribution which Mpower has mentioned in detail in post#83.

We had an Omni for 5 years & we had a totally satisfactory ownership experience. The car if shodded with radial & good profile tyres handles quite well for its shape & size.

Anyways coming back to topic, the K10 motor I believe would do good being a lighter & more powerful motor, my only doubt is the high revving nature of the K10 which might not be suitable for the Omni. I hope they tweak it before plonking in the Omni.
Technocrat is offline  
Old 17th July 2009, 23:33   #88
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,675
Thanked: 1,427 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
1) @aaggoswami- My statement was in continuation to what Mpower said earlier & he got it right. What I meant was that having a middle-front engine With RWD helps in weight distribution which Mpower has mentioned in detail in post#83.

2) Anyways coming back to topic, the K10 motor I believe would do good being a lighter & more powerful motor, my only doubt is the high revving nature of the K10 which might not be suitable for the Omni. I hope they tweak it before plonking in the Omni.
1) May be I was too inexpericed to drive Omni. Sorry again for my posts then.

2) But then can the charge 3.5 lakh for it ? I dont think that any one will buy the car then not atleast to be used as private vehicle. K10 with Omni for 3.5 lakh is not a good deal then.
aaggoswami is offline  
Old 18th July 2009, 20:58   #89
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,491 Times
Default

Yes 3.5 does sound high for an Omni upgrade. I think we will have to wait & watch to see What Maruti's planning to launch.
Technocrat is offline  
Old 11th August 2009, 12:44   #90
BHPian
 
SAHIR.KITTUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Belgaum / Doha
Posts: 290
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Hi mates, Any recent news on this. Each & every Suzuki APV I see in Qatar reminds me of this thread.
SAHIR.KITTUR is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Request Suggestions for my '87 Maruti Suzuki Van (Omni) scorpian Technical Stuff 15 6th March 2011 18:17
Maruti stops production of Versa/new van to be launched longhorn The Indian Car Scene 32 24th December 2009 18:52
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009 romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 350 9th May 2009 19:33
New Maruti Versa on the cards newcoolgadgets The Indian Car Scene 31 31st July 2007 19:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks