Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th September 2008, 12:52   #211
BANNED

Somehow, i cant digest the tag SUV for a Bolero.There's nothing sporty about it.

Doesnt go well with it, it can be called a Rural Transport Vehicle.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 12:56   #212
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Somehow, i cant digest the tag SUV for a Bolero.There's nothing sporty about it.

Has been discussed in the thread somewhere try and look up.

Does well as a RTV too is rugged and can carry a lot of humans so yes partly true. But then its some more too.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2008, 14:10   #213
BHPian

Unhappy

Quote:

dont start! we already have tons of discussions regarding that in different forums. Just enjoy the new specs and heart transplant of bolero.
it is certanily going to eat into lower end of scorpio and safari sales.
salvation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 00:32   #214
BHPian

You guys are talking about such huge mileage on the tyres 120k and things like that. I have a bolero GLX done arround 120k kilometers and i have changed two sets and due for the third now and they have only managed an average of 60k kilometers.... I am really suprised how you manage to squeeze that much out of your tyres.

I run on the Bridgestone 215's..... i am really really suprised.

And I had read that one of the campers had run 8.5 lakh kilometers before an overhaul..... is this the first overhaul? if it is then god that is something to hard to believe to be true....
hemanth.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 12:07   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
You guys are talking about such huge mileage on the tyres 120k and things like that.....I am really suprised how you manage to squeeze that much out of your tyres.
Well said, Hemanth. Even the most durable of tyres will have lost their optimal performance envelope after 40 - 50K kms. The wise will get them replaced at this point.
GTO - Touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 12:10   #216
BANNED

Quote:

I cannot agree more!
SUV tag to Bolero should be stripped off from the topic heading.
It is completely Agrarian, unergonomic, crude & now heavily priced too.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2008, 12:26   #217
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
...It is completely Agrarian, unergonomic, crude & now heavily priced too.
The older Mahindra vehicles could be termed so, BUT definitely not the current generation Bolero. The Bolero is definitely not agrarian/unergonomic
: it is quite refined for its class of vehicle. And the DI Turbo engine makes it quite reliable and smooth running for long highway runs as well (something which could be a back-breaking/ear-drum-breaking experience in the older Mahindras). The NVH levels are quite good. The current Boleros also have a good rear suspension, which is not as hard : in fact, with 4 adults on board the ride would be as good as that in a Sumo.

Quote:
....now heavily priced too.
Maybe not too heavily priced (comeon guys , the newer Boleros do offer a lot of good features, and we cant expect everything for free) : but definitely NOT a VFM package

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 9th October 2008 at 12:28.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 11:26   #218
BANNED

I would just dismiss the bolero as a tractor with a cabin ,that includes an aircon !
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 11:53   #219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I would just dismiss the bolero as a tractor with a cabin ,that includes an aircon !
Spot on I would say!
Everything in the Jeep from looks to interiors to ergonomics to Engine, poor implementation is evident.
This vehicle is aimed at rural folk who lack exposure & resist new changes.
Poor villagers, fill it up to brim with passengers & feel as if they are sitting in the safest thing in the world, only for their families to realize later, no one survived a crash!
As Courts have said in a new Judgement, drunken driving would be equated to suicide bombing, Bolero & other such poor egs. should be equated to attempt to commit suicide!
Old 17th October 2008, 12:04   #220
Senior - BHPian

bhp1- Please think twice before you speak. Villagers are also part of our country and for your info you survive because of them. Dont act like a blind person. Everyone here does not use their boleros for loading people like a taxi. There are pictures of a honda city also filled with 16 people. SO will you call it the same village mentality. Get out of your shell and travel a bit man
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 12:10   #221
BANNED

@Maddy, there was nothing to take personally.
Its a fact some vehicles are meant for rural transportation while others would do duty in the Urban areas. For that matter vehicles are also termed as RTV's by certain companies. What is wrong to classify a vehicle rightly?
Its not a question weather you load 16 or 2 people onboard, the fact of the matter is impart basic safety in a vehicle.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:11   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Ok, care to tell us what you drive?

Anyways whats wrong with a tractor with a cabin and an aircon. Have you seen the tractors lately. LOL.

Quote:
Spot on I would say!
Everything in the Jeep from looks to interiors to ergonomics to Engine, poor implementation is evident.
Poor villagers, fill it up to brim with passengers & feel as if they are sitting in the safest thing in the world, only for their families to realize later, no one survived a crash!
As Courts have said in a new Judgement, drunken driving would be equated to suicide bombing, Bolero & other such poor egs. should be equated to attempt to commit suicide!
So whats the stats on villagers killed in a Bolero? You have any information on that?

You want the courts to ban Bolero's? And the argument as per you is it should be done because driving the Bolero equates to commiting suicide right? Why dont you file a PIL and see what happens? I would be interested in knowing too.

Quote:
@Maddy, there was nothing to take personally.
Its a fact some vehicles are meant for rural transportation while others would do duty in the Urban areas. For that matter vehicles are also termed as RTV's by certain companies. What is wrong to classify a vehicle rightly?
Its not a question weather you load 16 or 2 people onboard, the fact of the matter is impart basic safety in a vehicle.
So leaving out the Bolero. Which other vehicles are safe which are available in India?

What do you drive?

And please define SUV?

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th October 2008 at 12:14.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:16   #223
BANNED

@Spitfire, why would someone not agree that Bolero is an unsafe vehicle?
Its not been through any kind of crash testing, does,nt have any crumple zones , etc. Therefore not road worthy in modern times.

Offcourse Courts should interfere here & ban the use of unsafe vehicles, what's wrong?

Yes, other safer vehicles in India are :(across categories)
Suzuki Swift, SX4,
i10, Getz, Verna,
Fiesta,
Spark,
Innova, Corolla,
City, Civic,
Almost all newer cars are safe.

I drive various cars- Innova, Corolla, Swift, Ikon, Astra, Cielo, Palio, 800
& have used & sold many including Gypsy, Esteem, City, etc.

I mentioned RTV not SUV.

One just can't compare one isolated Dianna incident with Mercedes Safety. In almost all Bolero's that suffer accidents, occupants get severly injured or loose lives.

New Tata Indica launched by Tata motors is safer car compared to earlier Indicas.
Should'nt cars manufactured in India undergo safety testing? In other words does'nt India deserve safer cars?

Last edited by bhp1 : 17th October 2008 at 12:28.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:20   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Spitfire, why would someone not agree that Bolero is an unsafe vehicle?
Its not been through any kind of crash testing, does,nt have any crumple zones , etc. Therefore not road worthy in modern times.

Offcourse Courts should interfere here & ban the use of unsafe vehicles, what's wrong?
Diana died in the safest car available at that time. Certified safe by authorities in countries where safety is paramount. Forget India. Point is: you can get killed even if you are riding the safest car or a Bolero, wisdom is not to and to remember that the vehicle didnt kill you, you yourself did.

Which vehicle in India other then the imports and some in house safety measures undergo safety testing? If its a general statement you are making then there is a different topic on this very forum.

What do you drive?

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th October 2008 at 12:36.
Old 17th October 2008, 13:56   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Spot on I would say!
That sounded a bit arrogant. Now, don't take it personally...i'm just a villager. Villagers lack not only exposure but money too. For us Bolero is great and it does what its supposed to.

BTW, do you read the news lately? Some DUMB DRUNKEN RICH IDIOTIC MORONS have killed quite a few people with a nice german car. (I don't know its name...i'm just a villager). Don't you think this car is UNSAFE for use? Crash tests are for the occupants. Driven by an IDIOT, any car is dangerous to everyone including people outside.

So, before making such statements about villagers, stop for a moment and think "Is it making sense?" You will get the answer. "No".
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote