Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2008, 14:19   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

@bhp1:Agree lot of newer cars are safe.

Read somewhere else where a Bolero toppled over and the occupant walked out of it. Converse is true too. So it is for other vehicles too. Dont tell me you cant get killed in the other vehicles too. You can depends purely on the driver.

I have been driving the Bolero for 4 years now, through all of south india mostly. I never met with a serious accident. I am a safe driver understand the limits of my vehicle and stay within those.

Also agree the Bolero is not the safest, blame it on its age old design and it needs to incorporate some safety. Aand trust me being responsible owners i highlight this point to Mahindra often.

My point is a vehicle with all the safety equipment can still get you killed if the person driving it is well - a moron.

If safety was accorded the status it has in other countries - then i am sure almost 70% of the vehicles made in India will have to be discontinued. And i will be happy too.

Take it for what it is, stay within its limitations. If you have to ban something lets be fair to all.

You made your point about it being unsafe, valid point taken.

Create a rant about it and keep trying to depict owners of the boleros and villagers in bad light as per me uncalled for.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 15:21   #227
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@bhp1:Agree lot of newer cars are safe.

Read somewhere else where a Bolero toppled over and the occupant walked out of it. ...
Ahh..that's me. It is a solid vehicle, you had to see it to believe it. It toppled at 90kms/hr speed. Me, my wife two kids, not even a scratch for any of us. Only the front glass broken and the vehicle was intact and I drove another 150 kms on the same vehicle to reach bangalore. That story is there in another thread, under Long Term Ownership thread.

I agree about the price, it is too much for an engine upgrade without any other meaningful add on.
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 18:01   #228
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NA
Posts: 513
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
That sounded a bit arrogant. Now, don't take it personally...i'm just a villager. Villagers lack not only exposure but money too. For us Bolero is great and it does what its supposed to.

BTW, do you read the news lately? Some DUMB DRUNKEN RICH IDIOTIC MORONS have killed quite a few people with a nice german car. (I don't know its name...i'm just a villager). Don't you think this car is UNSAFE for use? Crash tests are for the occupants. Driven by an IDIOT, any car is dangerous to everyone including people outside.
There was'nt a need to take personally. Villagers do like primitive means of living, that's a fact & nothing wrong in it. Again most of the development occurs in Cities & big towns, so Villages do remain backward. Therefore, rural folk do lack exposure, nothing wrong in it too.
I was just mentioning about the inside safety of a car, one can ram a unsafe car also into someone & result would be same. What do you think, had you rammed Bolero into someone, would that person have survived?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
@bhp1:Agree lot of newer cars are safe.

Read somewhere else where a Bolero toppled over and the occupant walked out of it. Converse is true too. So it is for other vehicles too. Dont tell me you cant get killed in the other vehicles too. You can depends purely on the driver.

I have been driving the Bolero for 4 years now, through all of south india mostly. I never met with a serious accident. I am a safe driver understand the limits of my vehicle and stay within those.

Also agree the Bolero is not the safest, blame it on its age old design and it needs to incorporate some safety. Aand trust me being responsible owners i highlight this point to Mahindra often.

My point is a vehicle with all the safety equipment can still get you killed if the person driving it is well - a moron.

If safety was accorded the status it has in other countries - then i am sure almost 70% of the vehicles made in India will have to be discontinued. And i will be happy too.

Take it for what it is, stay within its limitations. If you have to ban something lets be fair to all.

You made your point about it being unsafe, valid point taken.

Create a rant about it and keep trying to depict owners of the boleros and villagers in bad light as per me uncalled for.
"Bolero toppled", this is all it does because of the flawed chassis & built. Get my point!
New & radical styling is the need of the hour.
Do consider ratios in your calculations, an unsafe vehicle is more likely to kill you than a safer one. Whole wide World is not insane by opting in for safer technologies!
Accident is by accident, no matter how conciously one drives, fault can be others. One does so many things in life to live a better life, why spend money on something that puts your life in jeopardy? Put this in perspective, when I say rural folk, I mean people who do not care for safety & take it for granted due to lack of education or exposure.
Most of the cars sold in India are safe excluding old ones namely:
Safari, Sumo, 800, Omni, Scorpio, Bolero, old Indica, etc.
ALL these cars in this point of time need to see the AXE & new versions of them introduced.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 18:20   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
"Bolero toppled", this is all it does because of the flawed chassis & built. Get my point!
New & radical styling is the need of the hour.
Do consider ratios in your calculations, an unsafe vehicle is more likely to kill you than a safer one. Whole wide World is not insane by opting in for safer technologies!
Accident is by accident, no matter how conciously one drives, fault can be others. One does so many things in life to live a better life, why spend money on something that puts your life in jeopardy? Put this in perspective, when I say rural folk, I mean people who do not care for safety & take it for granted due to lack of education or exposure.
Most of the cars sold in India are safe excluding old ones namely:
Safari, Sumo, 800, Omni, Scorpio, Bolero, old Indica, etc.
ALL these cars in this point of time need to see the AXE & new versions of them introduced.
We never said the Bolero is the safest on the road.

But if driven while considering that it is not will make you a safer driver.

If we are talking about ratios. Driving in India is more dangerous then anywhere in the world. On your logic we should ban driving.

Also your view about villagers is quite shallow to be honest. Try and make your way to a village and speak to folks there, you will see they are much better informed then you too.

Also they dont buy only because it is cheap, but also because it is durable and lasts quite well.

Again villagers dont consider or understand safety because not all can afford to sit like you and preach about others. They are educated and understand but economically they need something that they can afford. If the Bolero running in a rural area takes only 5 people instead of 16 each of them will end up paying 3 times more fare. Will they?

Dont blame their lack of safety, sanitation or any other 3rd rate stuff you might associate with them to their education or mentality it is more due to the money int heir pockets and the stomachs to be filled. Ever seen rich villagers travelling like that?

OT: Lets see you say the same on a Safari Thread lol. Atleast we are rational here and know our and our vehicles limits.

Last edited by Spitfire : 17th October 2008 at 18:21.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 18:20   #230
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,385
Thanked: 14,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
There was'nt a need to take personally. Villagers do like primitive means of living, that's a fact & nothing wrong in it. Again most of the development occurs in Cities & big towns, so Villages do remain backward. Therefore, rural folk do lack exposure, nothing wrong in it too.
As a resident villager, I don't appreciate your comments. Thanks to cable/satellite television, villagers are not ignorant anymore. Nor do they live any more primitively than city dwellers. Their outlook towards life is quite different than city dwellers, sometimes in a nice way.

Just this week there was an accident involving couple of colleagues. A biker tried to overtake a scooty which was turning right with proper turn signals. He couldn't pass and ended up ramming into them. Both the girls on the Scooty fell and one girl was unconscious. Quickly there was a mob. A passing by Scorpio driver who witnessed it, took her to the hospital and nobody even thought of beating up the biker, in fact he came to the ER and was waiting until she was finally discharged. Unthinkable in a city.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 18:33   #231
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NA
Posts: 513
Thanked: Once
Default

@Spitfire, you've blown my logic out of proportions!
Anyway good for you that you like riding an unsafe vehicle thinking that your heroic driving would always save you!
Don't try to pit me against villagers, comment was in a certain context only, weather anyone agrees or not, villages are still far behind in terms of development. Black is black & white is white!
I know Bolero is cheap & lasts well, but I was just more bothered about the occupants lasting long & well too!

@Samurai, I keep the villagers in high esteem & don't have any issues whatsoever.
Im just more concerned about their safety & wellbeing.
Afterall if you know something, it should be told so that lives are not lost in ignorance.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 19:22   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
@Spitfire, you've blown my logic out of proportions!
Anyway good for you that you like riding an unsafe vehicle thinking that your heroic driving would always save you!
Don't try to pit me against villagers, comment was in a certain context only, weather anyone agrees or not, villages are still far behind in terms of development. Black is black & white is white!
I know Bolero is cheap & lasts well, but I was just more bothered about the occupants lasting long & well too!
Ok and appreciate your concern.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 20:29   #233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 967
Thanked: 235 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
What do you think, had you rammed Bolero into someone, would that person have survived?
Thats not the point. You didn't answer my question whether that german car is unsafe or not.
I know its limits, what it can do and what it cannot...and i treat it accordingly.

I'm safer in my unsafe Bolero than that 100 times crash tested german car driven by a drunk idiotic moron.

BTW, NOBODY here EVER said Bolero is a safe vehicle.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 20:30   #234
BHPian
 
potlaravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: STL MO
Posts: 148
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Not surprise at all. Its value for money. Recently one of my colleague bought Bolero. i just asked why did he chose that. Simply he say macho look and value for money. Yes thatís very true.
potlaravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 01:00   #235
BHPian
 
thalavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 389
Thanked: 62 Times
Default

Did I miss something here? Was there any report/findings that said Bolero is a very unsafe vehicle (at any speed, may be) ? I was considering a Bolero, if I had not bought my Fiat Adventure. So, I am very much interested in reading such a report.
If vehicles like Bolero are banned for lack of safety, and the same ban is applied to all other unsafe cars, there will be very very few vehicles on road. That is definitely good.
BTW, @bhp1, what car do you drive?
PS. A funny incident in San Francisco. My friend told me 'That poor guy rides a vehicle that has just 1 bhp', while pointing to a mounted policeman
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 02:23   #236
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,314
Thanked: 4,390 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Offcourse Courts should interfere here & ban the use of unsafe vehicles, what's wrong?
I agree that we should have safer cars but till a good safe replacement comes for Bolero what car can match its capability and is safer at that price range?
Another thing is that it is good to have opinions but not which demean other people.
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 10:06   #237
jp1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 286
Thanked: 44 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
T

"Bolero toppled", this is all it does because of the flawed chassis & built. Get my point!
New & radical styling is the need of the hour.
.
I do not agree with your suggestion totally. Any vehicle would have toppled in the same situation. You try to take a 90 degree turn when the vehicle is cruising at 90 kms/hr. I had no choice, I had to do it to avoid hitting an old man on the middle of the road. It was wrong judgement on my part that the guy would stop seeing my vehicle, but my judgement went wrong. The vehicle rolled three times and landed on its side looking the other way. Around 100 people gathered and they tried to lift the vehicle to put it straight, but they could not, Finally a crane was used.

About comments 'villagers', 'agrarian' etc, let me leave it there, no point commenting on it, guess someone gets some satisfaction

Last edited by jp1 : 18th October 2008 at 10:08.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 10:22   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
TheARUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,272
Thanked: 493 Times
Default

The BOLERO started off as a station wagon built on the MM540 platform. There used to be one in silver long time back, then came the ARMADA and then finally the BOLERO. Its nothing but a modified MM540. The only people buying it are metro males who cannot afford anything else and villagers who swear by word of mouth and keep up with the Jone's

The BOLERO is very long in the tooth and what MAHINDRA are doing is

By the way, just adding a picture of the star of this page, surprisingly, none was found. All words and no photos make for a dull thread
Attached Thumbnails
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-bolerowallpaper10241.jpg  

TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 12:45   #239
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NA
Posts: 513
Thanked: Once
Default

@JP1, you are right any vehicle can topple at high speeds, but just see the averages, there are more Scorpios & Bolero's toppling over / 100 vehicles.
Visit any Mahindra workshop & go to their Accidental vehicles inventory, toppled vehicles account for maximum accidental vehicles.
Redarding the Agrarian comment, please don't take it personally.
You can see pick up any Auto. Mag. & it will say the same about Bolero. Also, what's wrong in being called Agrarian, some companies specially name their vehicles RTV's & stuff. This implies Rural areas need & demand different set of vehicles than Cities do.
bhp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 12:46   #240
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Totally OT: why does this remind me of the Bullet (thread, that is)? Similar yet dissimilar...
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scoop Pic! Mahindra's S101 Mini-SUV spotted Nilesh5417 The Indian Car Scene 392 18th December 2015 12:20
Discover nudges the Splendour to become the world's largest selling bike! ghodlur Motorbikes 0 4th October 2012 09:02
Mahindra & Mahindra planning to launch another SUV product HSV The Indian Car Scene 21 7th March 2008 14:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:15.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks