Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th November 2008, 14:50   #271
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
That is to heavy a price to pay for the CRDE heart. Is it really worth paying so much just for an engine upgrade?

Cost wise

The SLX costs 7.5 on road. I feel 70k is alright for a newer gen engine with a 50% power hike.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 14:53   #272
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Funny thing is that i would have assumed that the "flaunt your attitude" look would have come with atleast a 4wd. but the dude clearly states that this is done on the 2wd.
Have a look at the wierd and wacky thread. There are all kinds.

90% of Mahindra Classic owners have never used their 4WD ever. Flaunt your attitude has a whole different meaning here.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:43   #273
BHPian

The stinger looks okay but what is the price? I think some modifications to Camper would have been sufficient.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 13:24   #274
BHPian

Default Fuel Smart Technology??

Found this at Mahindra Bolero site.

A technology that knows when to consume fuel. And when to conserve.
Presenting the Mahindra FuelSmart system with Micro Hybrid technology. A fuel saving technology thatís the first of its kind in India. Available in the Bolero SLX BS3 variant, this technology switches off the engine when it comes to a complete halt. For example, if the vehicle stops at a traffic signal and shifts to neutral, the engine shuts down automatically after 10 seconds. And on pressing the clutch when youíre ready to go, the engine starts immediately, allowing you to continue driving.Whatís more, this technology also helps conserve the environment. Since the engine switches off at traffic signals and in traffic jams, emission of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is avoided.

The system also has an in-built diagnostic module which, on sensing failure of any component, immediately goes into bypass mode. This ensures that the vehicle functions normally, allowing the engine to be turned on and off with the ignition key, as usual.

It clearly says SLX version..not even the VLX CRDE. To me, it looks like a feature for namesake. Has any SLX owners experienced this? Is this a "feature" or a "nuisance"?
Torqy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 17:02   #275
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Micro-hybrid LOL! What is so hybrid about this micro-hybrid? And how different is it from the common practice of engine shutdown at traffic lights (by cabbies alike)?! C'mon Mahindra, you can do better than trying to portray this as some high-end technology with marketing talk.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 17:28   #276
BHPian

Mahindra thinks that this is some hybrid. This is very simple circuit which switches off and on the engine by monitoring some sensors. This is in no way any form of micro or nano hybrid. Poor Mahindra. Their design of the much hyped Xylo is also very poor. God save them.
shivapsreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 22:49   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Believe me this can be a really annoying feature. I have driven several so called mild Hybrids with stop-start feature and it can be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic. You stop and just as you are ready to move the damn thing shuts off.

a large 4-cyl diesel w/o balance shaft is probably the worst vehicle to implement this because of the big shake and shudder everytime the thing starts and stops.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2008, 23:36   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Piddly savings on gas will be spend on refurbishing the start and the battery periodically. Besides you can shut of the engine with the air-con is on so it pretty much becomes a useless feature in hot climates.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 11:54   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Micro-hybrid LOL! What is so hybrid about this micro-hybrid? And how different is it from the common practice of engine shutdown at traffic lights (by cabbies alike)?! C'mon Mahindra, you can do better than trying to portray this as some high-end technology with marketing talk.
Reminds me of the Yamaha RX100 ads from the 80's with "Centre Stand" stated as a "feature"!! How silly!
Torqy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 15:15   #280
BHPian

I would still say that Scorpio is a better car but then the introduction of micro hybrid technology by the company may increase the value and worth for Bolero. Even Scorpio has been fitted with this new technology. I have heard few bits about this new car technology but can anyone tell me what exactly it is in detail.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags. Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post. Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th November 2008 at 15:17. Reason: Font tags
nanopano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 16:13   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Piddly savings on gas will be spend on refurbishing the start and the battery periodically. Besides you can shut of the engine with the air-con is on so it pretty much becomes a useless feature in hot climates.
True, With the A/C's on all the time and the vehicle goes on and off , won't it like spoil the batteries, starter motor etc. ????
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 20:08   #282
BHPian

Default Micro-Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
True, With the A/C's on all the time and the vehicle goes on and off , won't it like spoil the batteries, starter motor etc. ????
Hi
It has a high capacity battery with a suitable alternator and starter motor under it's hood. The price difference between the SLX and SLX SS is only around four thousand. Moreover, in bumper to bumper traffic you can always switch off the system! During normal stop start gaps A/c should not be a problem, because the fan will continue to run and before you could feel the heat you will be moving with the A/c on. In traffic jams, no go, you need to keep the engine running to enjoy A/c. The real economy will only be known in the long run.
jgsolo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 21:44   #283
Senior - BHPian

When I came to India in August this year after spending the last fifteen in UAE, I had come prepared to buy a Scorpio ( 2nd hand ) or a new Bolero.

I had sold my Landcruiser VXR V8 for UAE Dhs. 90,000 and after settling with the bank I was left with INR 6 lakh 50,000 from the proceeds.

I spotted a good 2nd hand scorpio in Patna but the owner wanted more time. A number of people suggested not to buy used Scorpios from vehicle dealers.

I went to the Mahindra showroon and bought a Bolero SLX 2008 in Turf Green colour for Rs. 625,000. Insurance and registration in Bihar was another 50,000 odd.

In terms of space, ride, handling, fuel cost, running cost, comfort how does it compare to what I drove for the last three years or the Toyota Landcruiser Prado that I drove for the eight years before the Landcruiser.

In true terms conditions had changed. RHD, not so severe temperature, different traffic, poorer roads.

Since the conditions were different it was not an apple to apple comparision between the BOlero and Landcruiser.

TO my mind a Balero was more like a Land ROver 110 country defender, the same diesel.

I settled in it and did not miss the Landcruiser much. It is mostly driven by a driver, but off road I usually drive it myself.

Vital difference in comfort - THe A/C frosts the glasses in India. DOn't know why.
THe Bolero A/C does not have a temperature control zone to warm the air as in other cars which have a blue and red zone.

THere is no provision for fresh air inlet in the A/C. Its always on recirculation.

The front seats are very uncomfortable and this is where I am facing a problem with a lot of soreness in the body. Perhaps changing the seats will help. Although the roads are to be blamed equally in these parts of rural UP and Haryana and Bihar no mention, forget about discussing road conditions there.

Otherwise it has been a good economical and multipurpose useful vehicle in the 15,000 Km I have driven it in the last six months.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 07:49   #284
BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Believe me this can be a really annoying feature. I have driven several so called mild Hybrids with stop-start feature and it can be a pain in bumper to bumper traffic. You stop and just as you are ready to move the damn thing shuts off.

a large 4-cyl diesel w/o balance shaft is probably the worst vehicle to implement this because of the big shake and shudder everytime the thing starts and stops.
Hybrid, Stinger, VLX all are probably going to blow up in M & M's face. Anyway from from this shaft thing i remembered this Bolero has a very unique problem that all of them have not just1 specific model. When ur accelerating and about to change gear, say around at 50in third gear, there is a vibration that comes from underneath the chassis, same goes 4next gear change at higher rev. Dont know why this happens but Mahindra's have to control this. Second thing about the shaft that transfers power from the gear to the rear diff is that it needs to be greased timely and has 3grease points. This thing many Bolero owners dont know, no 1 even told me when i was buying the new SLX, it was only by curiousity i asked myself a mechanic in the service area of the showroom if there were any grease points in the vehicle that needed to be greased to which he answered positive. Total 3points, all in the shaft itself, 2are in the front end and 1is in the rear end. These are crosses and a piston type of a thing that absorbs engine movement while transferring power to rear tyres. I was told to lubricate them regularly (every 1000-1500kms for best performance) as failure todo so might result in major damage in the joints of the shaft, and major expenses, so i do it regularly at evry 1000kms. And i can feel the diff too, after 1000-1500 kms when i grease the points the vibration somehow stops or gets less to a great extent, maybe my own imagination but i doubt it, it does work. Hope i contributed some useful knowledge there
maheep007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:43   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Anyway from from this shaft thing i remembered this Bolero has a very unique problem that all of them have not just1 specific model. When ur accelerating and about to change gear, say around at 50in third gear, there is a vibration that comes from underneath the chassis, same goes 4next gear change at higher rev. Dont know why this happens but Mahindra's have to control this.
I read it somewhere else that it is an intrinsic DI Turbo engine characteristic. Even Mahindra R&D fellows cannot do anything on this. Will try to post the link of where I read it.

This what I read and this article can be accessed at MouthShut
Quote:
The main reason for this review is about a vibration which I’m getting in my vehicle, the vibration is really annoying and horrible, when you have more than 3 adults, I mean with a decent load. When I drive on 4th gear, about 50-60 Kms/H (1500 rpm), the whole body was vibrating. The same vibration was there, when the vehicle was doing about 60-70 KMS/H on 5th gear. If you want to avoid this vibration, then you need pull about 70 Kms/H on 4th gear and then shift to the 5th gear. I can do this only when I’m driving on NH from Bangalore to Chennai, not on other roads. So 60-70 is the typical speed you can maintain on our normal road conditions.

Luckily my friend has introduced me to Sireesh Auto, Bangalore. When I approached them, they imm’ly offered me help. Their response was pretty impressive. And finally they have narrow down the problem and fixed some issues, by changing the body mountings. Even the Mahindra Engineers were really supportive. Once they changed the body mountings and drive shaft, the vibration on the vehicle’s body got fixed. But still the same vibration can be felt on the floor, I mean, the vibration similar to the one when you have flat tyres, it’s really horrible when you have full load, that’s about more than 3 adults. When the vehicle slows down and picking up the speed, this vibration is really annoying. IMP: this vibration is there in all the new Boleros. It;s NOT ONLY to vehicle. I was asked to check couple of new vehicles, all the new Boleros has this exact problem.

So the Mahindra Service engineers promptly escalated the issue to R& D engineers. I got a call after about a month, from their Nasik plant, one of the R&D engineer spoke to me and told me that this is not a problem, that’s the characteristics of vehicle. He gave me some technical details about why this vibration is observed. Finally what I understand is that I need to live with this, it’s kind of a issue which cannot be fixed, b’cos it requires more changes in the design itself :-( Yep forgot to mention, they will give their best to fix this problem, but no guarantee or time frame :-(

Last edited by MileCruncher : 19th March 2009 at 10:47. Reason: Additional information
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote