Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th March 2009, 11:12   #286
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Problem that cannot be fixed?? Whom are they trying to fool.

It will be more like - we dont have money to spare on R&D to fix the problem.

The chassis and body are the same as the IDI engine. No such issues there in any rev or speed range.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:36   #287
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Tata (through their TASCs) calls these features
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:36   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheep007 View Post
Bolero has a very unique problem that all of them have not just 1 specific model. When ur accelerating and about to change gear, say around at 50in third gear, there is a vibration that comes from underneath the chassis, same goes 4next gear change at higher rev.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I read it somewhere else that it is an intrinsic DI Turbo engine characteristic. Even Mahindra R&D fellows cannot do anything on this. Will try to post the link of where I read it.

This what I read and this article can be accessed at MouthShut
So that vibration is a known issue? I noticed the vibration when I had the test drive of the Bolero and the driver simply said that the car is due for service and that the vibration will go away once the wheel-alignment is done.

Quote:
It will be more like - we dont have money to spare on R&D to fix the problem.

The chassis and body are the same as the IDI engine. No such issues there in any rev or speed range.
Or maybe they just do not want to spend the time & money required to fix it. Maybe they are going to discontinue the DI engine and make CRDe standard across the Bolero range, like they did with the mHawk on the Scorpio. I am assuming this vibration issue is seen only in the DI Boleros, and not found in the IDI or CRDe Boleros.
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 11:49   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Tata (through their TASCs) calls these features
The word TATA sends a chill down my spine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Maybe they are going to discontinue the DI engine and make CRDe standard across the Bolero range
Dont see that happening they will flog the DI mule as long as it lasts. It sells and how.

The CRDe is overpriced and goes totally against the products USP - VFM.

Quote:
I am assuming this vibration issue is seen only in the DI Boleros, and not found in the IDI or CRDe Boleros.
DI will vibrate, its a DI afterall. One cannot expect IDI and CRDe levels of refinement(in diesel terms, dont compare it to a petrol) from it. But what could have been done was eliminate the problem.

The DI engine was due to the emission norms not an upgrade M&M wanted to give its Bolero fans. If not for that we could have still seen IDI's being sold.

The CRDe makes a good case for itself. Only issue is price, sell it below 7 lakhs onroad. DI will be history.

Last edited by Spitfire : 19th March 2009 at 11:50.
Old 19th March 2009, 12:10   #290
BHPian

Quote:
So that vibration is a known issue? I noticed the vibration when I had the test drive of the Bolero and the driver simply said that the car is due for service and that the vibration will go away once the wheel-alignment is done.

Or maybe they just do not want to spend the time & money required to fix it. Maybe they are going to discontinue the DI engine and make CRDe standard across the Bolero range, like they did with the mHawk on the Scorpio. I am assuming this vibration issue is seen only in the DI Boleros, and not found in the IDI or CRDe Boleros.
CRDE still does job in Scorpio, along with MHawk, MHawk doesnt sell much in numbers cuz of its high prise range, most Scorpios u'll se around are CRDE's only.

Dont see DI being phased out soon, go to any showroom (at least here) n all you'll find is DI only, VLX bombed badly (at that price is was bound to), they dont even have it on display for customers to see, only ordered on demand. DI is the flagship engine of Mahindra. Wheel alignment does not have anything to do with it, if wheel alignment was the reason, the visible signs would be car pulling to 1side and tyre being worn from one side.
maheep007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:22   #291
BHPian

Quote:
The word TATA sends a chill down my spine.
---------------------
The CRDe makes a good case for itself. Only issue is price, sell it below 7 lakhs onroad. DI will be history.
And its a major issue, what were they thinking while pricing i dont know, but just for upgrading an engine ?? Absolutely no change in interiors, stupid graphics outside, least they could have done was taken feed back from consumers if not work their own fertile brains n given front de-fogger!
Old 19th March 2009, 12:35   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CRDE still does job in Scorpio, along with MHawk, MHawk doesnt sell much in numbers cuz of its high prise range, most Scorpios u'll se around are CRDE's only.

Dont see DI being phased out soon, go to any showroom (at least here) n all you'll find is DI only, VLX bombed badly (at that price is was bound to), they dont even have it on display for customers to see, only ordered on demand. DI is the flagship engine of Mahindra. Wheel alignment does not have anything to do with it, if wheel alignment was the reason, the visible signs would be car pulling to 1side and tyre being worn from one side.
maheep Crde is gone,even scorpio lx comes with mHawk now.
exceptions being m2di and getaway
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:51   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
maheep Crde is gone,even scorpio lx comes with mHawk now.
exceptions being m2di and getaway
OHOK thats something new, dint know that one. So they hiked price of scorpio which was earlier available in CRDE version ? And now its only MHawak?
Old 19th March 2009, 13:58   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And its a major issue, what were they thinking while pricing i dont know, but just for upgrading an engine ??
Calling it just an engine upgrade, would be taking it lightly. A very good upgrade IMHO.

From 68/72 bhp to 97 bhp is quite an upgrade and having driven one its welcome.

Quote:
Absolutely no change in interiors, stupid graphics outside, least they could have done was taken feed back from consumers if not work their own fertile brains n given front de-fogger!
Not too concerned about the interiors or graphics. What is provided is good enough. Serves the purpose.

Front defogger? turn on the AC it should get cleared. Though a proper channeling of air to the front screen could have been good to have.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:22   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Calling it just an engine upgrade, would be taking it lightly. A very good upgrade IMHO.

Not too concerned about the interiors or graphics. What is provided is good enough. Serves the purpose.

Front defogger? turn on the AC it should get cleared. Though a proper channeling of air to the front screen could have been good to have.
I think what they should have done is added rear wash wipe with demister. Front defogger and option of air on the feet. Internally adjustable ORVM. Power window switches on the door rather than in the middle. The beige upholstery in SLX looks better than the black in VLX.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 14:29   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think what they should have done is added rear wash wipe with demister. Front defogger and option of air on the feet. Internally adjustable ORVM. Power window switches on the door rather than in the middle. The beige upholstery in SLX looks better than the black in VLX.
+1.

The power window switches on my 04 GLX are placed below the aircon controls in the middle of the dash.

They have migrated them to the centre now. Will probably take them another upgrade to make them available on the door pads/handles.

They could do it for the rear passengers, i dont know what was holding them back for the folks in the front seats.
Old 19th March 2009, 14:31   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OHOK thats something new, dint know that one. So they hiked price of scorpio which was earlier available in CRDE version ? And now its only MHawak?
Same price as the erstwhile CRDE mate...
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 14:42   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Same price as the erstwhile CRDE mate...
No mate, they have made it cheaper by about 11k I think. Scorpio M-HAWK LX in Hyd IS 7.18 Ex-Showrrom. 2.6 was 7.3X
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 14:58   #299
BHPian

Quote:

Well i would not go that far calling it a "Very Good" upgrade, as the upgrade comes at the cost of low mileage & higher price, anyway, at the end of the day its all a very personal thing, i'd rather stick with something old n proven than put all my stakes on something that has not proved its mettle. Maybe after a couple of years when the CRDE has proven its rugged'ability and worth, and there are many satisfied consumers out there, then i might think of getting a CRDE, but now, as of today, i'll stick to the noisy workhorse.

Not very concerned myself but its expected when u upgrade something give it a fresh look, a bit inside job and a bit outside, doesnt take much but people relate to it as new. Front defogger i meant that air circulation only, it might not be needed as much down south, but here its very important as season changes and temprature diff are so much in winter that sometimes have to roll down the window/clean the inside of the windscreen with a cloth to clear it of fogt/mist. Merely turning on A/C is not that effective as no channel has been provided for the air to directly hit the front windscreen n clear the fog.

Last edited by maheep007 : 19th March 2009 at 15:09.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:02   #300
BHPian

Thumbs down

[quote=Spitfire;1220673]Calling it just an engine upgrade, would be taking it lightly. A very good upgrade IMHO.

Honestly, the DI is not even 68bhp, its only 63bhp.......