Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th March 2010, 15:59   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I am surprised to hear this. I owned a Maruti Zen before upgrading to Bolero. While the Suraksha guys (for my Maruti) were Ok with me hanging around my vehicle the whole day, whenever I left my vehicle for service, the Sireesh guys (for my Bolero) insist that I wait at the customer lounge, from where I do not even get to see my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
im with you milecruncher.
when we had our swift I used to prefer to go to Green Cars - a privately owned Authorized Maruti Service Centre but not attached to any showroom or anything. their service was always "personal" and of very good quality. and the best part was that I used to lurk in the workshop and observe the work being done on my car.

ref Mahindra - I ve always liked the erstwhile Vijai Auto/ Now owned by SKS but bought over lock stock and barrel with all the same service personnel. The service I get there right from the days I had the Bolero and now with the Scorpio is excellent.

Even here they dont grumble but allow me to spend time with the service people and observing matters and learning things about the vehicle when it is ramped up. Patient answers to various questions, reasonable bills and Im happy.
I have always made it a point to be with my cars when its given to the workshop but also make sure that I don't obstruct the technicians. As regards to M&M ASC, I direct them standing on the bay to what all need be done and by now they have became aware of my links so they don't say anything to me.

Bottomline is don't give up!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 22:34   #377
Senior - BHPian

Default Bolero in SA

Just found a few interesting looking Bolero Pik-up in SA Mahindra Pics - SA 4x4 Community Forum - The only forum for the offroad and 4x4 enthusiast
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahem-fotos-3.jpg

India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-image685.jpg

India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-dscf5260.jpg

If only Mahindra had launched the same configuration, I would have been a proud owner
Old 18th March 2010, 08:56   #378
Senior - BHPian

WOW, now this jeep looks a killer, much better than the scorpios. i would love to drive this in mumbai, this would teach the pesky autos & fiat cabs a lesson!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 04:39   #379
BHPian

This is wonder to my eyes .. i wish M&M had this concept come true every INDIAN 4x4 Buff... Is it possible to mod a new Bolero to something like this ?? or prolly get a Used one and then mod it ??? Any thoughts ??

I have a new GP 1.2 and now before taking the decision of buying it i considered the Bolero but it didnt read about the Bolero that much in detail

Its my Dream to Own a second and the Best choice of wheels in the Shape of
India's BEST EVER SELLING SUV .....:-)
torqueyTND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 12:16   #380
BHPian

Lightbulb

WHAT DO u Guys THInk of this Mighty One???
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2010, 11:30   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueyTND View Post
WHAT DO u Guys THInk of this Mighty One???
Just Amazing!! Why don't you get us some more shots from other angles.

Last edited by jgsolo27 : 22nd March 2010 at 11:31. Reason: Mistake
jgsolo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:38   #382
Senior - BHPian

but thats a scorpio & not a bolero.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:09   #383
BHPian

@ Solo - Mate i spotted the same on mumbai - pune last week ...it was on stroll & meaty looking thing was on his way ...i wanted to engage some snaps from my cell ph
but it just went pooooof ! **sigh**

@ Raj - Hello & its just not officially called a scorpio as yet ? I wondered if i thought of sharing the moment as it still is a M&M product

Cheers
TND
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:33   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueyTND View Post
@ Raj - Hello & its just not officially called a scorpio as yet ? I wondered if i thought of sharing the moment as it still is a M&M product

Cheers
TND
i just meant its modified from a scorpio & not a bolero.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:44   #385
Senior - BHPian

Looks like its just selling too much than mahindra can handle
We are planning to replace our 10 yr old Bolero GLX with SLX or VLX
There is no TD vehicle available in the entire region with any of the dealers.
Neither SLX nor VLX.
and Waiting Period is 45 days after booking.
This is a big turn off
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 18:51   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Looks like its just selling too much than mahindra can handle
We are planning to replace our 10 yr old Bolero GLX with SLX or VLX
There is no TD vehicle available in the entire region with any of the dealers.
Neither SLX nor VLX.
and Waiting Period is 45 days after booking.
This is a big turn off
This is surprising as every dealer is supposed to have a dedicated SLX as demo vehicle. Since the VLX numbers are less, most dealers use vehicles in stock as a test mule, so be careful.

Cheers
Old 25th April 2010, 23:53   #387
BHPian

I've been trying to find a good used Bolero here in Trivandrum. I found a 2007 model SLX at the First Choice outlet, priced at a sky-high 4.9 Lakhs, but it was already snapped up before I had a chance to arrange finance. It had done only 35K, and the owner exchanged it for a Scorpio.

Bolero owners keep their rides for a long, looong time. I've hardly ever seen any Bolero DIs for sale. There was a 2006 model a couple of weeks back, but he was asking 4.4L for it. Whew! Most of the other ones are really old GLXs, dating as far back as 2000.

I went to get a test drive, but the Demo SLX was already gone on a TD, and wouldn't be back for an hour. So, the dealer let me drive a delivery-ready vehicle around the lot. It was a Java Brown SLX. It's a color previously only available on the VLX Storm, so keep that option in mind if you're booking an SLX. The dealer told me that it had been months since they'd had a chance to actually take a good look at a Bolero, because they were getting snapped up so fast. They're telling the customers first hand that delivery will take upwards of 20 days.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 02:10   #388
Senior - BHPian

^^ The Bolero is really long in the tooth now. It's been in production in many avatars (Armada, Armada Grand, Bolero etc.) and at the end of the day is a pretty crude (though reliable) machine.

Unless someone drives on really bad roads and buys a 4X4 version, I do not see the point of owning this vehicle. To top it all, it now looks worse than the version before it.

People who might consider the Bolero (according to me) are:

a. Taxi owners - The vehicle is quite reliable + diesel. It's not very roomy, but the robustness makes up for it.

b. 4X4 users - Either own a farm or offroad quite often, have one car and hence the Bolero with it's A/C and power windows is the only option.

c. The folks who list this car in the "Dadagiri" thread . Basically the "I am more macho than anyone else" kind of folks.

Before someone blames me for being ignorant, I have driven the Major 4X4 over significant distances (again super crude, but bullet proof Jeep, makes no bones about it) and have test-driven the Bolero (not the Crdi version though). It's steering is the scariest among all cars I have driven (believe me, zero, zilch steering feedback), it's noisy, has non-existent handling and the ride is bumpy.

So, why buy the Bolero?

Last edited by Amartya : 26th April 2010 at 02:13.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 06:21   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
^^ The Bolero is really long in the tooth now. It's been in production in many avatars (Armada, Armada Grand, Bolero etc.) and at the end of the day is a pretty crude (though reliable) machine.

Unless someone drives on really bad roads and buys a 4X4 version, I do not see the point of owning this vehicle. To top it all, it now looks worse than the version before it.

People who might consider the Bolero (according to me) are:

a. Taxi owners - The vehicle is quite reliable + diesel. It's not very roomy, but the robustness makes up for it.

b. 4X4 users - Either own a farm or offroad quite often, have one car and hence the Bolero with it's A/C and power windows is the only option.

c. The folks who list this car in the "Dadagiri" thread . Basically the "I am more macho than anyone else" kind of folks.

Before someone blames me for being ignorant, I have driven the Major 4X4 over significant distances (again super crude, but bullet proof Jeep, makes no bones about it) and have test-driven the Bolero (not the Crdi version though). It's steering is the scariest among all cars I have driven (believe me, zero, zilch steering feedback), it's noisy, has non-existent handling and the ride is bumpy.

So, why buy the Bolero?
I agree with most of your points actually they are true as well for all the variants except the CRDe which is actually again a Scorpio in Bolero dressing and here is why:
  1. NEF CRDe engine which is doing duty in the Xylo and will be there in the Thar as well.
  2. NGT 530R Gear Box which is the Scorpio gear Box
  3. Drive line i.e the prop shaft and rear Differential is from the Scorpio
  4. Front IFS and Rear Parabolic Leaf Spring are a straight transplant from the 1st gen Scorpio. (The Normal bolero has rigid leaf springs at the rear).
  5. Voice enabled Digital Information System on the Dashboard.
So apart from making a good dadagiri car, it also drives really fast. I suggest TDing one when you are next time in India.

Cheers
Old 26th April 2010, 09:06   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Does that mean people who drive small cars are feminine and they all wear lipstick? What do you drive?

People buy cars they like.
People buy cars which they can afford.
People make compromises when they choose cars.

Please don't generalize your statements.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote