Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th April 2010, 15:31   #406
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
As a Bolero owner, you would be the person I should look at to provide the best answers.
So ask relevant questions.

You start your "queries" with this:

Quote:
^^ The Bolero is really long in the tooth now.
When we read that, its quite obvious you are not here to learn or have a fruitful discussion but run down the product without knowing anything about it.

So you got the answers in the same breath. Why get offened then?

The you come up these assumptions. Which are partly true, but not the absolute truth.

Quote:
People who might consider the Bolero (according to me) are:

a. Taxi owners - The vehicle is quite reliable + diesel. It's not very roomy, but the robustness makes up for it.

b. 4X4 users - Either own a farm or offroad quite often, have one car and hence the Bolero with it's A/C and power windows is the only option.

c. The folks who list this car in the "Dadagiri" thread . Basically the "I am more macho than anyone else" kind of folks.
Do you know how many versions the Bolero comes in? And what markets are targetted by each version?

And the last one is totally out of depth on this topic. What is dadagiri got to do with what I drive? I didnt comment on that thread because I find it to be utter nonsense but folks like you do value those threads.

If you want to learn ask. You did realise that there are some Bolero owners out here. And some of them are quite educated about atomobiles and know their rides inside out. To give you a couple of examples - JeepCaptain and Torqy. To understand further try and find out what are the other vehicles they own or drive. And why they still think a Bolero is worth having from 7+ years and still keep it after using it for 1 lakh plus kilometers. They can easily go out and buy any new gen stuff whenever they want.

Last edited by Spitfire : 26th April 2010 at 15:48.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 15:51   #407
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
My "list" was for probable reasons for buying a Bolero, I asked teambhp'ians to "enlighten" me about other probable reasons, for which MileCruncher gave a really good answer.
If the sheer number they sell, not enough, may be this one adds a little weightage.

Bolero: No.1 in customer satisfaction-ET Cetera-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

BTW I too drive a Bolero for a decade now.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 21:55   #408
Senior - BHPian

@Raj_5004, thank you for trying to clear the air, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So ask relevant questions.
You start your "queries" with this:
When we read that, its quite obvious you are not here to learn or have a fruitful discussion but run down the product without knowing anything about it.
Well done Sherlock. Unfortunately, it is not obvious, and I wasn't here to run down the product. My views were based on my own test-drives and the fact that the Bolero's looks have been degraded in the newer generation version, ergonomic issues that could have easily fixed in the interiors were not done (stereo controls etc.) and that it has been in production for quite a long time. Long in the tooth is an English idiom that just means that something is old, which the Bolero is, there is no denying that. Rebutting by saying that Maruti sells 20 year old cars misses the point.
Quote:
So you got the answers in the same breath. Why get offended then?
The you come up these assumptions. Which are partly true, but not the absolute truth.
To be absolutely honest, I wasn't as offended as I was surprised to see someone being so riled up with the post. Where did I say that I said the absolute truth? It was a list, to which some points could be added.
[/quote]

Quote:
Do you know how many versions the Bolero comes in? And what markets are targetted by each version?
Well, honestly I don't or can't name each and every version (VLX, SLX etc.). But I do know the engine options, the difference in wheelbase, along with various body-styles. So I do know which kind is targeted to which market.
Quote:
And the last one is totally out of depth on this topic. What is dadagiri got to do with what I drive? I didnt comment on that thread because I find it to be utter nonsense but folks like you do value those threads.
I am so glad you said this, just proves the point that you tend to jump the gun. Here are the facts, unlike what you accuse me of, I didn't comment on that thread either. As for valuing that thread, you can read my views about it on the following link (read post #12). I think it is not a very wise thread to have on teambhp.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ate-buses.html

Your owning a Bolero might have nothing to do with Dadagiri, and not once did I claim that it was.
Quote:
If you want to learn ask. You did realise that there are some Bolero owners out here. And some of them are quite educated about atomobiles and know their rides inside out. To give you a couple of examples - JeepCaptain and Torqy. To understand further try and find out what are the other vehicles they own or drive. And why they still think a Bolero is worth having from 7+ years and still keep it after using it for 1 lakh plus kilometers. They can easily go out and buy any new gen stuff whenever they want.
Well, the whole point of posting on the forum is to get knowledgeable people to fill in, which is what some of them decided to do as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
If the sheer number they sell, not enough, may be this one adds a little weightage.

Bolero: No.1 in customer satisfaction-ET Cetera-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

BTW I too drive a Bolero for a decade now.
Important data. Thanks for sharing.
Amartya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 05:44   #409
Senior - BHPian

@ Amartya & Spitfire: Can put this to rest and move on!

Please!!!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 09:57   #410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Please!!!
+1 to that. All of us here know that the Bolero has its share of positives and negatives and there is no denying that. Having said that, it would be great if we could have a more focussed discussion on the product, the Bolero to be specific, the reasons behind its success and the areas of improvement compounded with personal experiences of the same.

To begin with, do we think it is possible to improve the middle row legroom in the Bolero? Has anyone tried it so far? I remember a friend of mine who owned a Marshal and was able to make the middle row pretty comfortable just by decreasing the angle of the back rest. Any such thing possible here?
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 10:24   #411
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that.

To begin with, do we think it is possible to improve the middle row legroom in the Bolero? Has anyone tried it so far? I remember a friend of mine who owned a Marshal and was able to make the middle row pretty comfortable just by decreasing the angle of the back rest. Any such thing possible here?
I doubt you can do it in Bolero SLX or VLX, may be possible in XL. The reason being that there is a step just below the 2nd row seat and the 2nd row seat is fixed on the step. So if you move it backwards, the step will be an inconvenience to the person sitting there.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:45   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

Please!!!
DONE. Nothing personal. Just didn't like the way some of us got categorized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post

While you're at it, has anyone done a split-seat for middle row?
That would increase its "baggage" capacity.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 17:39   #413
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
DONE. Nothing personal. Just didn't like the way some of us got categorized.

While you're at it, has anyone done a split-seat for middle row?
That would increase its "baggage" capacity.

-- Torqy
I checked with both India garage and Vijay about this during the process of buying my 2nd Bolero. Both said it cannot be done. BTW, in my first Bolero when I bought it in 2001, the front row had a long seat like a bench for the co-passenger. India garage modified that to a single seat similar to the drivers seat. In fact they modified the original seat by cutting it and then fixed a hand rest between both the seats.
Old 28th April 2010, 18:56   #414
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra does it again! From their press release:

Quote:
Mahindra Bolero is India’s no. 1 SUV for 4th year in a row with record sales of 70,554 units

April 28, 2010, Mumbai: Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. (M&M), the leader in the utility vehicle segment in India, has announced that the Bolero has emerged as India’s No.1 SUV for the fourth time in a row, selling a record 70,554 units in 2009-10.

This achievement also makes the Bolero the first brand in the SUV/UV/MPV category to cross 70,000 sales mark in a year.

“The Mahindra Bolero continues to create new records and scale greater heights as India’s No. 1 SUV. In fact, the Bolero is a top selling brand in the passenger vehicle segment, excluding small cars. A clear pointer to its immense popularity is that the Bolero was the winner of the Total Customer Satisfaction survey in the SUV/MUV category, conducted by TNS Automotive in 2009.”, said Mr. Vivek Nayer, Senior Vice President – Marketing, Auto Division, Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd.

The Bolero has evolved significantly since its launch in 2000, yet has retained its core DNA of ‘tough and rugged.’ Over the years, it has incorporated a host of features and aesthetics which match the evolving lifestyle aspirations of Indian consumers.

In 2007, M&M launched the New Bolero which offered a bold new style, greater comfort and conveniences. In September 2008, Mahindra introduced the most powerful Bolero yet - the Bolero VLX powered by CRDe technology. October 2008 saw the launch of the Bolero SLX with Micro-Hybrid technology which ensures better fuel efficiency by reducing wastage. This launch was a part of Mahindra’s environment friendly, sustainable mobility solutions initiative.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 19:26   #415
Senior - BHPian

one of the first things I requested from Vijai Auto in 2005 when I bought my Bolero
asked whether they could atleast enable the middle row seats to be folded to liberate more storage/ luggage/ haulage space.
they said it had to be done privately as an after market initiative but would be a big pain and the finish would be lacking too.
hence I didnt bother.

At that time I had written to Mahindra's also in ref this and how useful it would be.

Indeed when Mahindra launched the new Crde I thought they might have offered this as one of the "upgrades" but they didnt.

Dont know why they cant do this simple thing and thus enable the end consumer in terms of choice of whether he wants to put the seat down for luggage or up to carry passengers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I checked with both India garage and Vijay about this during the process of buying my 2nd Bolero. Both said it cannot be done. BTW, in my first Bolero when I bought it in 2001, the front row had a long seat like a bench for the co-passenger. India garage modified that to a single seat similar to the drivers seat. In fact they modified the original seat by cutting it and then fixed a hand rest between both the seats.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 19:48   #416
BHPian

I, for one, really like the Bolero. For that price it's more than value for money.

One of my cousin's had the earlier model (box light) Bolero and it was so much fun to drive around in. The AC was a super chiller and took whatever roads came. He had to let it go after 150k+ kms. Following this he bought a Scorpio and at the same time the Bolero CRDe was going to be launched. I tried my best to convince him to wait and buy it but he had made his mind.

Sometime later he drove a friends CRDe Bolero and said how much better it was than the earlier one and this and that. He hinted that he should have bought the Bolero instead of the Scorp. Till date I ridicule him for this.

The only grudge I had against the earlier Bolero (not sure if this is sorted in the new one) was the leg room in the middle bench. I am 6'1 and sitting in the middle row over long distances was a task.

Now for a small incident

I was at a Mahindra showroom this Saturday with my cousin to pick his Scorp up. While waiting for the car to be delivered I lounged into the showroom and was generally looking at the cars parked. Minutes later a middle aged lady arrived, in an E-class. She was attended to and I happened to overhear the conversation between her and the salesman. Apparently she wanted a Bolero for her son, in white and in a weeks time. She came in, booked the car, and she was out - all in 20 mins.

Moral of the story : Everyone wants one.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 19:52   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
one of the first things I requested from Vijai Auto in 2005 when I bought my Bolero
asked whether they could atleast enable the middle row seats to be folded to liberate more storage/ luggage/ haulage space.
they said it had to be done privately as an after market initiative but would be a big pain and the finish would be lacking too.
hence I didnt bother.

At that time I had written to Mahindra's also in ref this and how useful it would be.

Indeed when Mahindra launched the new Crde I thought they might have offered this as one of the "upgrades" but they didnt.

Dont know why they cant do this simple thing and thus enable the end consumer in terms of choice of whether he wants to put the seat down for luggage or up to carry passengers!
Yes, that's one of my major gripes.
Even a Maruti 800 has foldable seats.

Maybe we can ask Mr. Behram and Spike what's stopping them from doing it!

A thought: We have such brilliant workshops where they rebuild Jeeps from scratch. Can't one of them come up with a foldable seat?
Maybe we should ask around the jeepers.

-- Torqy

Last edited by Torqy : 28th April 2010 at 19:58.
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 12:56   #418
jp1
BHPian

Behram sir already acknowledged this request. Refer to my post - Bolero Storm 4wd - wish list. See Behram's reply in page 1 of following link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...wish-list.html (Bolero Storm 4x4 Wish list)

In fact I wrote couple of emails to them, but no use. Finally it seems they are taking care of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Yes, that's one of my major gripes.
Even a Maruti 800 has foldable seats.

Maybe we can ask Mr. Behram and Spike what's stopping them from doing it!

A thought: We have such brilliant workshops where they rebuild Jeeps from scratch. Can't one of them come up with a foldable seat?
Maybe we should ask around the jeepers.

-- Torqy
Old 29th April 2010, 13:06   #419
Senior - BHPian

Boleros are not only sold more but also the most stolen ones. In Delhi, these are not in the league of status as the Scorpio, added to the fact that the exposed door nuts caused those to be easily picked by car thieves. However, it is the rustic villages these are the king, preferred by the politicians, dada-types, big families, & all.

To their credit that have the bigger, last longer, rider better, are reliable & cheap (to buy & maintain).

However, the average interiors, low noise insulation & the weird design of the headlights has the ability to put off many potential buyers.

Hope M&M get their act better next time (upgrade).
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 19:16   #420
BHPian

Default Is it really cheap now

Hi BHPans,

Bolero is there in my mind since quite long time but one or the other way nothing is finalized yet. Just yesterday I got a quote for Bolero & I was told that BSIV is expected to come very soon and price may be slightly higher than the present.

Bolero VLX BSIII Ex Showroom 668559
Road Tax 102958
Insurance 26994
Incidentl Charg 4000
OTR 802511

Now can we still say Bolero is "cheap"? I know boleros since old days and have also took test drive of VLX. From that only now I ask myself "is it worth?" I mean not a 4X4 and not having comfort like others with the price tag of 8 lakh OTR!

Please share your comments.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote