Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th April 2010, 21:14   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Now can we still say Bolero is "cheap"? I know boleros since old days and have also took test drive of VLX. From that only now I ask myself "is it worth?" I mean not a 4X4 and not having comfort like others with the price tag of 8 lakh OTR!
When we say Bolero is cheap we refer to the DI Bolero.
VLX is CRDE, not DI and hence more expensive.

-- Torqy
Torqy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2010, 09:29   #422
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hi BHPans,

Bolero is there in my mind since quite long time but one or the other way nothing is finalized yet. Just yesterday I got a quote for Bolero & I was told that BSIV is expected to come very soon and price may be slightly higher than the present.

Bolero VLX BSIII Ex Showroom 668559
Road Tax 102958
Insurance 26994
Incidentl Charg 4000
OTR 802511

Now can we still say Bolero is "cheap"? I know boleros since old days and have also took test drive of VLX. From that only now I ask myself "is it worth?" I mean not a 4X4 and not having comfort like others with the price tag of 8 lakh OTR!

Please share your comments.
Definitely 8 lakhs OTR is expensive for a vehilce like this. "Strike the iron when it is hot" is the policy followed by MM
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:27   #423
BHPian

Thanks. Even DI is not overpriced? 741011 OTR for SLX.
pradipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:06   #424
BHPian

Bolero is overpriced across the models. Even Camper, which would cost around 5 lakhs

Last edited by simplyself : 10th May 2010 at 14:07.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:09   #425
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Bolero is overpriced across the models. Even Camper, which would cost around 5 lakhs
Overpriced compared to?
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:24   #426
KMT
BHPian

Come on buddy (Spitfire), would you pay 6-8L OTR for a Bolero if you had a viable alternative in the Market?
It is Overpriced compared to what you get-
-Ancient design
-Rubbish quality
-Some 'modern' bits
-No safety gear
-cost of dies and design have been recovered many fold by M&M, so they can price it at Marginal Cost if they wish.

However we have no choice and hence are held M& can hold us to ransom and demand any price they want.
KMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:48   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Overpriced compared to?
How about stablemate Xylo? Even the base E2 at about 6.5 lakhs ex-showroom has a much better engine, more comfort, more safety and more features than the Bolero SLX.

After Xylo launch and the Scorpio price cuts, I expected M&M would do the same with Bolero or at least upgrade the DI engine with a CRDe engine across the range (like they did with Scorpio). But looks like M&M will milk it till a direct competition comes on the scene.

Last edited by H3LIOS : 10th May 2010 at 14:49.
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 15:10   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Come on buddy (Spitfire), would you pay 6-8L OTR for a Bolero if you had a viable alternative in the Market?
It is Overpriced compared to what you get-
-Ancient design
-Rubbish quality
-Some 'modern' bits
-No safety gear
-cost of dies and design have been recovered many fold by M&M, so they can price it at Marginal Cost if they wish.

However we have no choice and hence are held M& can hold us to ransom and demand any price they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
How about stablemate Xylo? Even the base E2 at about 6.5 lakhs ex-showroom has a much better engine, more comfort, more safety and more features than the Bolero SLX.

After Xylo launch and the Scorpio price cuts, I expected M&M would do the same with Bolero or at least upgrade the DI engine with a CRDe engine across the range (like they did with Scorpio). But looks like M&M will milk it till a direct competition comes on the scene.
To a certain extent I agree that the Bolero is certainly higher priced compared to the Xylo but again please remember there are certain things the Bolero can keep on doing day after day which other cars might shudder to do.

Over all its the Poor Man's APV ( All Purpose Vehicle )

Disclaimer: I'm a poor man!
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 23:05   #429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To a certain extent I agree that the Bolero is certainly higher priced compared to the Xylo but again please remember there are certain things the Bolero can keep on doing day after day which other cars might shudder to do.

Over all its the Poor Man's APV ( All Purpose Vehicle )

Disclaimer: I'm a poor man!

What is it that a bolero can do which other vehicles cannot do ? hmmmz
It again is more in the thinking than any actual benefit . TO me a bolero is always a poorly executed extension version of a jeep . I agree that the bolero survives because there is no other alternative manufacturer who makes something equivalent to the bolero ,but again the pricing is quite insane

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:34. Reason: Removing off topic content.
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 10:44   #430
Senior - BHPian

buddy, understand one thing that different people have different needs & different budgets. and if the bolero was really as bad or as overpriced as you said it to be, i dont see any reasons why so many indians prefer it over the grandes & xylos...

disclaimer: i dont own a bolero presently!

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:35. Reason: Removing off topic content.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 11:12   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
What is it that a bolero can do which other vehicles cannot do ? hmmmz
It again is more in the thinking than any actual benefit . TO me a bolero is always a poorly executed extension version of a jeep . I agree that the bolero survives because there is no other alternative manufacturer who makes something equivalent to the bolero ,but again the pricing is quite insane [/b].
As rightly pointed out by Raj below, Bolero must be doing something right to have so many buyers Y-O-Y. I don't what car you drive but I'm sure it must be satisfying some of your needs. In similar vein Bolero satisfies a lot of my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
buddy, understand one thing that different people have different needs & different budgets. and if the bolero was really as bad or as overpriced as you said it to be, i dont see any reasons why so many indians prefer it over the grandes & xylos...

disclaimer: i dont own a bolero presently!
Thanks buddy. You said everything that I wanted to say.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:36. Reason: Removing off topic content.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 12:53   #432
Senior - BHPian

Well, the Bolero has its flaws, and probably quite a few of them as has been stated by many of its current owners but it also has certain advantages. Talk about reliability, mileage, serviceability, and most of all, a name for ruggedness which it has earned owing to its jeep lineage.

People who buy it have certain specific needs in mind and it satisfies them to a great extent.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:37. Reason: Removing off topic content.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 13:31   #433
BANNED

Yes , I have owned Mahindras in the past .I have hands on experience with the engines , gearboxes , and if things count I have experience with the p4 and S4 engined vans of mahindra as well . I dont think the engine is a scorcher , never thought it was ergonomic ,( styling i cannot comment ) . My posting more of stemmed from the fact that i never found any "hidden virtues" of this (car) ??hmmmz

I have clearly stated that there are no lack of alternatives in the market or may be because the people have wrong notions about a product . For example a Tavera is similar in suspension design ( rear leaf , front IFS ) has a better engine , more legroom , the body is much stronger and costs almost the same . I still cant understand what the bolero 2Wd can do that a tavera cannot do or a sumo or a grande cannot . Sales do not necessarily reflect the quality of a vehicle . I think there are a lot of other people who feel that the bolero is not so great a vehicle . I think there are quite a few "wise men " around .

If some one bought a bolero and says it is a great vehicle , then people start echoing the same .For example when you bought a bus most of them recommended TATA , but you bought AL , and I know you made the right choice by looking at actual operating conditions rather than rely on a forum for your business needs .

Yes , needs are varied and depend upon a given situation .In India if my father , next door neighbour , relative , mechanic thinks mahindra vehicle is reliable then I also start thinking the same . None of them have a scientific basis for choosing the vehicle . Most of them do not necessarily evaluate what is there or what is missing . All I am saying is that the vehicle lacks many things and Mahindra have not taken things beyond their jeep manufacture to making a vehicle that is safe , ergonomic , and easy to maintain . The progress in so many odd years is that they have started making colourful jeeps under the name of bolero .

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:41. Reason: Removing off topic content.
Old 11th May 2010, 13:35   #434
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, the Bolero has its flaws, and probably quite a few of them as has been stated by many of its current owners but it also has certain advantages. Talk about reliability, mileage, serviceability, and most of all, a name for ruggedness which it has earned owing to its jeep lineage.

People who buy it have certain specific needs in mind and it satisfies them to a great extent. It is certainly not acceptable or within the limits of manners to call the Bolero owners names.

I feel you should tender an apology Greatmana2000.
Well, I was not really implying about the people who have bought a bolero or the forum member who own one . I am sorry to have hurt people by really communicating in bad english .
Old 11th May 2010, 14:26   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Well, I was not really implying about the people who have bought a bolero or the forum member who own one . I am sorry to have hurt people by really communicating in bad english .
Now, thats like a gentleman.

Now, lets discuss the original topic, the Bolero. I for one, do not think, and this is purely personal, that the Tavera cannot take rough roads with the same aplomb that the Bolero does due to the fact that, in spite of having the same basic aggregates in suspension, it is just not as tough as the Bolero.

The Sumo Grande, yes, comfortable, fast and to a certain extent, rugged. Flaws: handling, looks, size and awful interiors. And yes, M&M marketing is wayyy beyond TATA which is why the Grande just doesnt make the numbers it should.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote