Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th May 2010, 14:39   #436
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Come on buddy (Spitfire), would you pay 6-8L OTR for a Bolero if you had a viable alternative in the Market?
Thats the point isnt it.

Quote:
-Ancient design
Ladder and frame chassis? It is still used all over the world.

Quote:
-Rubbish quality
Dont agree. Its equal to the norm here in India.

Quote:
-Some 'modern' bits
Like the CRDe Engine?

Quote:
-No safety gear
BIG BIG disadvantage. I totally agree here. But keep it within your and vehicles limits and you are safe.

Quote:
-cost of dies and design have been recovered many fold by M&M, so they can price it at Marginal Cost if they wish.
And kill the goose? They are here to do business not charity.

Quote:
However we have no choice and hence are held M& can hold us to ransom and demand any price they want.
When I bought mine, the top end GLX all frills cost a shade less then 6 lakhs OTR Bangalore. Today I can get 50% of the value without even asking for a buyer.

So it hold its price very well in the second hand market. As per me a very good indicator of its value.

I know one guy who bought a Bolero for 3 lakhs from the country side and sold it for 3.5 lakhs in Bangalore. No he is not a dealer. Guess what premium the dealers must be getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
How about stablemate Xylo?
When the Xylo was launched. I went to town cribbing about this to everyone in Mahindra who would listen. They told me introductory price, market penetration, blah, blah.

But would a person on a tight budget looking for a Bolero type of vehicle buy a Xylo? I wouldnt.

The CRDe is really bad pricing. I was waiting to buy one but Mahindra dissappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Over all its the Poor Man's APV
Yes, its not an aspirational vehicle but does what it does in the best way possible.

Amazing low maintenance, cheap spares, easily repairable - so many times have I changed cables, adjusted hand brake, fixed broken lights, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
but again the pricing is quite insane
Insane compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
People who buy it have certain specific needs in mind and it satisfies them to a great extent.
As to why I got a Bolero. After being freaked out when some guys were clicking pictures sitting inside my Classic on Commercial Streets, i needed a lockable with doors vehicle. After driving a Classic I would never buy a "car". Dont ask why. Some call it the Jeep Thing, I have never really made out yet.

Till I bought one. I did not know anything about it. Honest.

Quote:
For example a Tavera
Why not Sumo? or Grande?

Quote:
None of them have a scientific basis for choosing the vehicle.
You are forgeting economics. Sell a Fortuner for Bolero prices. Guess which will sell?

Dont paint the money spending populace of India to be so ignorant. You need to understand a lot more before you come up with such rhetoric.

Quote:
Most of them do not necessarily evaluate what is there or what is missing.
LOL. My father is rich but he does not give me a penny. I spend 6 months on evaluating all vehicles before I bought the Bolero. And no I had no way of finding it was the best selling SUV/whatever in India then.

Quote:
The progress in so many odd years is that they have started making colourful jeeps under the name of bolero .
What were you expecting and at what price?

Also are you in the market for the Bolero or similiar vehicle or is it becuase its free to post you do so?

Sorry for making you guys read all this.

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:43. Reason: Removing off topic content.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 14:52   #437
Senior - BHPian

@ greatmana: if we misunderstood your comments, then sorry for that. if you dint really mean to be offensive to anybody, then thats the end of discussion.

after all, everybody is entitled to his own opinions.

cheers.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 14:56   #438
BHPian

I paid Rs 2430 for replacing my windshield. Let me not even mention any other spares or servicing cost. Tell me which other vehicle's windshield (including installation and whatever charges taxes associated) would cost as less? And - it moves fine. Shooes away autos, two wheelers and what not? And - I love it. Cost is justified, maintenance is well justified and driving is a pleasure all the way (though a tad slow compared other small cars who zip by and keep waiting at next signal). If I can feel this way, I am sure there are my country men who also feel the same -- and will buy Bolero. Why cry on that?
G-BoleroBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 15:57   #439
BANNED

[quote=Spitfire;1879922]Thats the point isnt it.

Ladder and frame chassis? It is still used all over the world.

yes , but there are so many advancements . suspension design , gearbox design , prop shaft , steering .hmmm

Dont agree. Its equal to the norm here in India.
10 yrs back normal buses without airconditioning were the norm . now just take a look at the way people want to travel . Norms are until we dont start demanding and blindly accept watever is thrown at us . hmmm . 10 yrs back the roads were pathetic and the bolero might have made sense . With todays quads I do not think the bolero has any reference .even rural roads are very good these days except for small patches .

Like the CRDe Engine?well , with the crde engine does it make the bolero a really capable vehicle ?

BIG BIG disadvantage. I totally agree here. But keep it within your and vehicles limits and you are safe.
pay 7 odd lakhs to drive at 70-80 kmph ? lol

And kill the goose? They are here to do business not charity.This is my exact point . they are doing good business and pricing the vehicle at higher levels .

When the Xylo was launched. I went to town cribbing about this to everyone in Mahindra who would listen. They told me introductory price, market penetration, blah, blah.

But would a person on a tight budget looking for a Bolero type of vehicle buy a Xylo? I wouldnt.

that is where the customer has to look at other options and just not look at mahindra to give him/her a solution . As i said in my earlier post Tavera is a good option , sumo with 407 engine is also a very good option .

Yes, its not an aspirational vehicle but does what it does in the best way possible.

Amazing low maintenance, cheap spares, easily repairable - so many times have I changed cables, adjusted hand brake, fixed broken lights, etc.

This is the exact problem .Most of them get drawn towards "low maintenance , cheap spares , easily repairable " . A typical cabbie would be echoing similar thoughts . Good example would be the Indica . Ask the cabbie as to why he bought an Indica he would quote the above line in perfect sync .But , with corporates jumping on to the call taxi biz you can atleast find logans , because even though they are costly initially they atleast last and regular maintenance is much cheaper than an indica . Well engineered products are costly but again they will last . A badly engineered product is cheap , will frequently break down and ofcourse it will be cheap to repair .
To know more about Mahindra engineering prowess please take a look at the front bumper mounting , the radiator mounting etc . I am surprised that they still cannot refine and do some justice .

Insane compared to what? Tavera , sumo 407di , etc

As to why I got a Bolero. After being freaked out when some guys were clicking pictures sitting inside my Classic on Commercial Streets, i needed a lockable with doors vehicle. After driving a Classic I would never buy a "car". Dont ask why. Some call it the Jeep Thing, I have never really made out yet.

Till I bought one. I did not know anything about it. Honest.

Why not Sumo? or Grande?

have mentioned them in my previous post may be you did not look at it .

You are forgeting economics. Sell a Fortuner for Bolero prices. Guess which will sell?
NO , you are getting me wrong . for what ever price the bolero sells , it is being sold at a huge premium . that is the point .

Dont paint the money spending populace of India to be so ignorant. You need to understand a lot more before you come up with such rhetoric.

India has 100 crore in population and the bolero does not sell in lakhs to underestimate the Indian populace in general .

LOL. My father is rich but he does not give me a penny. I spend 6 months on evaluating all vehicles before I bought the Bolero. And no I had no way of finding it was the best selling SUV/whatever in India then.

May be you bought your bolero 10 yrs back . when there were no options . My dad is poor and he does not give me any penny . So does it make any diff ?

What were you expecting and at what price?
I would expect better refinement . cut down the useless weight . get Lotus engineering to do the suspension . give it a better UJT . These are just my ideas though . give it a decent dashboard ,better legroom hmmm, i could just go on..

Also are you in the market for the Bolero or similiar vehicle or is it becuase its free to post you do so?
Yes , i am but i think i will settle down on a MM540 second hand .

Last edited by Eddy : 12th May 2010 at 22:44. Reason: Removing off topic content.
greatmana2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 16:07   #440
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
I paid Rs 2430 for replacing my windshield. Let me not even mention any other spares or servicing cost. Tell me which other vehicle's windshield (including installation and whatever charges taxes associated) would cost as less? And - it moves fine. Shooes away autos, two wheelers and what not? And - I love it. Cost is justified, maintenance is well justified and driving is a pleasure all the way (though a tad slow compared other small cars who zip by and keep waiting at next signal). If I can feel this way, I am sure there are my country men who also feel the same -- and will buy Bolero. Why cry on that?
.My point of observation is the same . Most of the parts are cheap , they are generic in nature and why is it that most of you think it is "value" at 7 lks ?Does it not directly relate to the fact that the parts are cheap but the vehicle is priced high ?
Old 11th May 2010, 16:29   #441
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Yes , i am but i think i will settle down on a MM540 second hand .
Ok. Now I get it.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 16:47   #442
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
What is it that a bolero can do which other vehicles cannot do ? hmmmz
It again is more in the thinking than any actual benefit . TO me a bolero is always a poorly executed extension version of a jeep . I agree that the bolero survives because there is no other alternative manufacturer who makes something equivalent to the bolero ,but again the pricing is quite insane or the people are just plain stupid to buy a tin box on wheels .
I am driving a Bolero for 10 years now, I had a Gypsy before that. Why I bought a Bolero? Am I stupid?. My requirements

- Need a vehicle which me and my family (4 members totally) can walk in, not crawl in
- It should fit in my garage - Bolero is 1 ft less in length than a Scorpio.
- Parts should be cheap
- I should be able to find a mechanic in any corner of India
- Should have comforts such as A/c, PS etc
- Should have a lockable cabin
- It must be solid built as I tend to travel long distance and occasionally really bad roads
- Should feel confident to take it off roads with the assumption that even if something goes bad , the repair cost manageable
- Used to Jeeps for last 25 years or so. In fact my first driving lessons I learned in a Jeep.
- My first Bolero had couple of nasty incidents, every time my Bolero saved me without even a scratch and the repair cost was negligible
- When I decided to sell my first Bolero after 5 years, I just made an online advt and 2nd day evening the vehicle has gone for around 3.5 lakhs. So many calls which I never expected. That too in a city like Bangalore where I thought there would be no takers for a Bolero. And it had beautiful set of alloy wheels. I could not even remove it before the 1st party landed on my doorstep to see the vehicle. After him seeing the vehicle, he is not allowing me to remove it and in fact he paid me extra for it.
- During 5 years of usage, nothing broken on my vehicle, either electricals or a/c etc
- Decided to go in for my 2nd Bolero and the Bolero tradition continues....

Now can you tell me the options I have if I have to think about another vehicle?

Last edited by jp1 : 11th May 2010 at 16:51.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2010, 22:07   #443
BANNED

[quote=jp1;1880225]I am driving a Bolero for 10 years now, I had a Gypsy before that. Why I bought a Bolero? Am I stupid?. My requirements

- Need a vehicle which me and my family (4 members totally) can walk in, not crawl in
- It should fit in my garage - Bolero is 1 ft less in length than a Scorpio.

I am sorry , but i really dont know if the tavera or sumo 407 are shorter or longer .
- Parts should be cheap - Most of the SUV or ( workhorse )vehicle parts are reasonably priced .
- I should be able to find a mechanic in any corner of India .

A well engineered vehicle will have lower break downs . Plus , the MUV vehicles do not have any rocket science built into them . Any mechanic can help .

- Should have comforts such as A/c, PS etc
Hmm , You will be able to find all the above features in other vehicles as well .

- Should have a lockable cabin

Again most of the other vehicle manufacturers have lockable cabins .

- It must be solid built as I tend to travel long distance and occasionally really bad roads

Remember , most of the vehicles in this catageory are built to carry heavy payloads and they are well built . Infact the other vehicles have better quality of engineering put into them .

- Should feel confident to take it off roads with the assumption that even if something goes bad , the repair cost manageable

Most of the parts dont really fail . I have known tavera vehicles to clock 1.5 lakh kms upwards without any major issues . Earlier , first gen sumo used to have probs , but all these have been sorted out in the last gen sumo . Talk about reliability and 407 engine . hmmm

- Used to Jeeps for last 25 years or so. In fact my first driving lessons I learned in a Jeep.
May be that is why the affinity towards mahindra bolero .

- When I decided to sell my first Bolero after 5 years, I just made an online advt and 2nd day evening the vehicle has gone for around 3.5 lakhs. So many calls which I never expected. That too in a city like Bangalore where I thought there would be no takers for a Bolero. And it had beautiful set of alloy wheels. I could not even remove it before the 1st party landed on my doorstep to see the vehicle. After him seeing the vehicle, he is not allowing me to remove it and in fact he paid me extra for it.

Most of the MUV have good resale value , the reason being the spares are cheaper , they drink diesel and even a complete overhaul would not cost a bomb .

Now can you tell me the options I have if I have to think about another vehicle?

Thankfully there are a lot of options from other manufacturers . Most of the products are reasonably priced closely to the bolero and they are just ages ahead in terms of refinement , space , ergonomics , driveability , fuel efficiency etc . Doing a test drive of other vehicles will definitely let you know what short comings are there .

Compared to a bolero I see far more no. of tata sumos and taveras . I am just wondering which class of vehicle is the bolero , the leader in the sales segment .
Old 12th May 2010, 09:09   #444
Senior - BHPian

Oh cmon guys, it high time to stop this argument.

a bolero owner knows what he is enjoying & a non-bolero owner does not know what he is missing. but fact is a non owner is not particularly bothered as he thinks that the bolero is utter waste!

this is true for every car in the market & no car is perfect. so let the owners enjoy & the non owners think the way they want.
Old 12th May 2010, 09:57   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Oh cmon guys, it high time to stop this argument.

a bolero owner knows what he is enjoying & a non-bolero owner does not know what he is missing. but fact is a non owner is not particularly bothered as he thinks that the bolero is utter waste!

this is true for every car in the market & no car is perfect. so let the owners enjoy & the non owners think the way they want.
+10 to that

Lets stop this bickering and co-exist peacefully

Last edited by MileCruncher : 12th May 2010 at 09:59.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 10:13   #446
Senior - BHPian

Well greatmana one positive point I see above Tavera and sumo is that Bolero is available in 4X4 , It really does not matter how many people actually buy a 4X4 Bolero over 4X2 but still it is there.

Perhaps this single points makes it SUV over others which are UV.
Sumo had a 4X4 variant but it has vanished long ago.

Yes body work is simply outdated and they are overpricing it due to lack of competition in this category.
amitk26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 10:55   #447
Senior - BHPian

Sorry people but like so many of us have said, each vehicle has its own advantages that appeal to some and its own disadvantages that are overlooked by some.

Can we please get this thread back to discussing the Bolero, without getting into heated individual arguments.

By the way, any news about the mileage that the Storm owners are getting compared to the DI owners??
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 12:05   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
By the way, any news about the mileage that the Storm owners are getting compared to the DI owners??
I have a heavy foot so in city about 9.5-10 and about 11.5~12 KMPL. This is with 100% AC
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 13:36   #449
jp1
BHPian

Quote:

I am sorry , but i really dont know if the tavera or sumo 407 are shorter or longer .
I do not want get into any argument, I do no agree on most of your points such as maintenance, built etc. but then what is the use, It can go and on. I know why I bought a Bolero. The options you mentioned are Sumo and Tavera. I will never touch a Sumo as I have lot of bad memories and Tavera, NO, as I have no experience and it was a new vehicle at that time. I dont think Tavera going to be there for long. But M&M, yes lot of experience, mostly good memories with few exceptions. So as per your suggestion, I should be comparing Bolero against Sumo or Tavera. Verdict is 100% Bolero.

About M&M experience
Our workhorse - CL 4x4 - taken 1800 Mts above sea level.
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-picture-0651.jpg
And our cruiser
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-dsc00620n.jpg

Last edited by jp1 : 12th May 2010 at 13:41.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2010, 14:01   #450
Senior - BHPian

Also one last point to add- tavera was launched in mid 2004 while the bolero was launched much much before, i think in 2000. so that makes the bolero pretty dated in terms of technology, design, blah blah...

but look at the sales figures. the tavera has almost become extinct & the bolero is leading the MUV sales charts. the bolero still manages to literally chew on tavera's sales.

all said & done, manufacturers makes cars to sell. so ultimately, a car which sells well (for whatever reason it may be) is a good vehicle. people are ready to put down their hard earned money on that vehicle & there SHOULD be some good reasons for it which obviously some who prefer other cars cannot see.