Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th May 2010, 21:01   #466
BHPian

Dear Greatmana,
One point you missed when comparing these vehicles is what is called "character"-and the Bolero has oodles of it. The creature comforts you are referring,which are lacking in Bolero, is more than enough compensated by it's Jeep lineage and proven reliability over the other two. Sumo and the Tavera are designed to be taxis- and they serve their purpose very well- but nothing more. Have you ever seen anywhere in this forum paasionate threads on Sumos or Taveras? The Bolero, as every M&M Jeep, has in it some element which endears it.
As to torque of Victa DI, it is no great engineering to plonk a 407 truck engine on an already overweight vehicle and then to boast of torque. Please refer to owners of Victa to if you want to know something about atrocious front tyre wear!
Ashley Nair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 21:24   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Dear Greatmana,
One point you missed when comparing these vehicles is what is called "character"-and the Bolero has oodles of it. The creature comforts you are referring,which are lacking in Bolero, is more than enough compensated by it's Jeep lineage and proven reliability over the other two.

The Bolero, as every M&M Jeep, has in it some element which endears it.

+10 to that. I have been using the Bolero for the past 6 years and I couldn't have put it better!
BolBolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 00:02   #468
BHPian

Default Bolero GLX 2001

Hi,
I too have a Mahindra Bolero GLX that I bought in 2001. It came fitted with a Mico Alternator. The Car or MUV is superb. Ive clocked 2Lakhs on the Mile o' meter, had the engine overhauled at around 1,70,000 kms and the car is still as trust worthy as the first day that I bought it. I've posted some pictures of them below and in some other posts (yet another modified bolero). Of late for the Past 3 Years I have started having problems with my alternator and battery & the charing. The Bolero GLX used to come fitted with a Battrey Charging Meter (which I feel is very essential for all cars but I dont see any in the new cars or models of today) & the Charger level used to stay at a constant of 14 v or in between the 12v - 16 v mark without the AC & Lights on but now it shows only 12 v even when i rev up the engine, without the lights or the AC on & I cant even think of putting on the AC on coz then even my horn wont function!!!. I have been to every garage avilable in the state and even in West Bengal but the problem is still not detected. I have repaired the alternator almost a dozen times now & I have changed the Battery every year For the past 7 years but the problem still persisted. I now have a brand new alternator MICO installed & another new AMARON Battery Installed but the problem is still there. When i change either of the battery or the alternator replaced the problem is solved for about a day or two but after that it's back to square one. Even the garages & Electricians are so baffeled that they now tell me that its perfectly ok and that the car or alternator is functioning exactly the way it should be! I know that the problem is not solved as even my lights (that I had replaced) have become dimmer!! Is there anyone who can help me with this & Help me solve this problem? Other than this problem the car is still fine & I don't want to considering selling this car but I need to have the problem fixed. If anyone can help than I'd greatly apreciate it. thanks
innerkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 08:55   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerkarma View Post
Hi,
I too have a Mahindra Bolero GLX that I bought in 2001. It came fitted with a Mico Alternator. The Car or MUV is superb. Ive clocked 2Lakhs on the Mile o' meter, had the engine overhauled at around 1,70,000 kms and the car is still as trust worthy as the first day that I bought it. I've posted some pictures of them below and in some other posts (yet another modified bolero). Of late for the Past 3 Years I have started having problems with my alternator and battery & the charing. The Bolero GLX used to come fitted with a Battrey Charging Meter (which I feel is very essential for all cars but I dont see any in the new cars or models of today) & the Charger level used to stay at a constant of 14 v or in between the 12v - 16 v mark without the AC & Lights on but now it shows only 12 v even when i rev up the engine, without the lights or the AC on & I cant even think of putting on the AC on coz then even my horn wont function!!!. I have been to every garage avilable in the state and even in West Bengal but the problem is still not detected. I have repaired the alternator almost a dozen times now & I have changed the Battery every year For the past 7 years but the problem still persisted. I now have a brand new alternator MICO installed & another new AMARON Battery Installed but the problem is still there. When i change either of the battery or the alternator replaced the problem is solved for about a day or two but after that it's back to square one. Even the garages & Electricians are so baffeled that they now tell me that its perfectly ok and that the car or alternator is functioning exactly the way it should be! I know that the problem is not solved as even my lights (that I had replaced) have become dimmer!! Is there anyone who can help me with this & Help me solve this problem? Other than this problem the car is still fine & I don't want to considering selling this car but I need to have the problem fixed. If anyone can help than I'd greatly apreciate it. thanks
I get a feeling that the problem is in your rectifier regulator unit and not in the alternator per se. I suggest also checking the wiring whether there is any loose ground because of which also you might be losing current.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:49   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerkarma View Post
Hi,
Looks like there is an apparent electrical leak circuit in your vehicle. Firstly, get a master cutoff switch installed like we used to do in the older ambys etc.

This will cut out the battery circuit at nights preventing the slow discharge.

The alternator regulator is also suspect. Generally the regulator regulates the charging current and voltage to max 14v when revved. If any value higher than your regulator is definitely suspect. This overcharging will lead to premature battery failure!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:58   #471
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2010 at 17:51.
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2010, 13:57   #472
BHPian

Default Advice me O Gurus!

An opportunity to buy a new 4 wheeler seems to be on the horizon!

What I have today: A 2007 Model DiTurbo with a few mods approaching 40,000 Kms.

What I miss in my current ride : A little bit more power and torque; which I feel will make long rides much more relaxing. ( And a lot of engine noise which I would like to miss!)

My Plan : Buy a new VLX; transplant existing mods as below to make it better:

1. Bilstein B6 shocks
2. Green Storm CAI
3. Yoko Geos + Alloys
4. Hella Rallye 2000 (front) & Hella Comet 550 (rear)
5. ICE

I can then hope to sell my Di Turbo ( with brand new tyres and wheels from the VLX) for close to 5L!

( And since mama will insist on some new mods; Plonk in a pete's tuning box and some...)

Won't I end up with a stonker of a Storm?
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2010, 14:45   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
An opportunity to buy a new 4 wheeler seems to be on the horizon!

What I have today: A 2007 Model DiTurbo with a few mods approaching 40,000 Kms.

What I miss in my current ride : A little bit more power and torque; which I feel will make long rides much more relaxing. ( And a lot of engine noise which I would like to miss!)

My Plan : Buy a new VLX; transplant existing mods as below to make it better:

1. Bilstein B6 shocks
2. Green Storm CAI
3. Yoko Geos + Alloys
4. Hella Rallye 2000 (front) & Hella Comet 550 (rear)
5. ICE

I can then hope to sell my Di Turbo ( with brand new tyres and wheels from the VLX) for close to 5L!

( And since mama will insist on some new mods; Plonk in a pete's tuning box and some...)

Won't I end up with a stonker of a Storm?
First things first: 40k in 3 years is a bit less for a diesel vehicle. Since I can't advice you to buy petrol hatchback, I suggest you drive more to justify buying a Diesel .

Yes you can do everything of the above but remember they might void your warranty.

If the THAR suits your needs, I would suggest waiting for it
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2010, 08:15   #474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
First things first: 40k in 3 years is a bit less for a diesel vehicle. Since I can't advice you to buy petrol hatchback, I suggest you drive more to justify buying a Diesel .

Yes you can do everything of the above but remember they might void your warranty.

Yeah! I have to care about the warranty with a CRDE under the hood I guess..With the Di I never went anywhere near a Mahindra A$$!

But... All the mods i listed except the Tuning box wouldn't void any warranty right? It is standard practice to unplug the Box on the way to any A$$.

PS: Yesterday's post was an idea and looks like it has grown on me over the night; I might just do it! ( And the wifey rates the Bolero's ride ( post B6) much higher than a Scorp and can't understand why I would let go of this one; but when she heard it's for a better Bolero she is all nods!)

And THAR : I feel its too small to be my only car, Wife and kids will ask me to follow them in a Taxi with the luggage
Old 25th May 2010, 08:49   #475
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

IMO, a diesel today is as good or better than Petrol. My SLX (X3DP) is 4 years old and done only 25k. No issues at all, except started seeing signs of rusting on door panels.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 19:30   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
An opportunity to buy a new 4 wheeler seems to be on the horizon!... My Plan : Buy a new VLX; transplant existing mods as below to make it better.
To each, his own. There's this used car showroom near the bus stop where I wait for the company cab. Today I saw 2 Scorps in their lot, one of them an Mhawk. I've never sat inside a Scorpio, so since my cab was late I decided to check out the Scorps -- one was a 2006 Slx (61K odo, 6.7lacs) and the other a 2008 Mhawk Vlx (36K odo, 8.75lacs). I sat inside both in the drivers seat and man! it was like another world! Now I can't digest the thought of sitting inside my Bolero ever again. Plus after hearing about headers dumping his storm, I'm also getting the itchies... only problem -- it ain't my car!

Last edited by MudMover : 26th May 2010 at 19:32.
MudMover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 20:54   #477
Senior - BHPian

@Josepeter,we were in the same boat a few days ago.
We had almost decided on the Storm.
then one fine day i had a small TD,engine was a gem,rest everything was same,i mean i felt i was driving my 10 year old bolero,which was just a wee bit faster.
if you have decided to take the plunge,think of a scorpio too.

@MM,you seem to be dissatisfied with your storm,it aint that bad.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 06:44   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@Josepeter,we were in the same boat a few days ago.
We had almost decided on the Storm.
then one fine day i had a small TD,engine was a gem,rest everything was same,i mean i felt i was driving my 10 year old bolero,which was just a wee bit faster.
if you have decided to take the plunge,think of a scorpio too.

@MM,you seem to be dissatisfied with your storm,it aint that bad.
Thanks Akshay; Maybe I should first take a TD of the Scorp and then decide! I really have been thinking of the Scorp Lx; It's around a lakh up on the Storm right? And I like the look of the Black LX with its matt-black bumpers and no cladding. Should look great with subtle mods. Somethings are really garish on the Scorp though...the grill....and especially the xmas tree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Now I can't digest the thought of sitting inside my Bolero ever again. Plus after hearing about headers dumping his storm, I'm also getting the itchies... only problem -- it ain't my car!
MudMover; It looks you are stuck with something you can no longer live with! I never read about headers dumping his storm .
Old 27th May 2010, 11:02   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Nair View Post
Dear Greatmana,
One point you missed when comparing these vehicles is what is called "character"-and the Bolero has oodles of it. The creature comforts you are referring,which are lacking in Bolero, is more than enough compensated by it's Jeep lineage and proven reliability over the other two. Sumo and the Tavera are designed to be taxis- and they serve their purpose very well- but nothing more. Have you ever seen anywhere in this forum paasionate threads on Sumos or Taveras? The Bolero, as every M&M Jeep, has in it some element which endears it.
Well said, man! Its something inexplicable about Mahindras which draws you to them. Though, they have provided the required creature comforts in the Xylo! And these are wayy better than those in the Tavera and the Sumo for sure!
Finject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2010, 14:42   #480
BHPian

The problem is the alternator. Either the cut-out or the diode kit need to be changed. I too encountered the problem, got that repaired twice or thrice but after an year or so, I replaced the dynamo.

It is better to go for a new alternator, if possible. The Scorpio's is the cheapest of the lot at about Rs. 9,000. Just changing the pulley and fan belt would suffice.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote