Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th May 2010, 10:19   #496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
WHAT??? did i see you writing 'happy' & 'scorpio'o in the same post???

from what i have seen, you have always been cribbing about it from the day you got your car home!

Man, i always expect the world fpr what i pay. Hope thats not wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Only 23k in 1 Year

Shame! You and me, we were planning to outrun the warranty, Heck with my Storm in the workshop for 2 months, still I did 24k in Year ( Completed on 4th May) and the odod stands at 26.5k as on today. You need to buckle up man!

@josepeter: The DI Bolero also comes in BS-III so its not discontinued. As a matter of fact, the entire Bolero range (including CRDe) has not been upgraded to BS-IV yet
Machan, push to 140 in the scorp on the hiway and the mileage drops to 10. Had to ease off.

Btw, you guys are now one storm less
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 12:15   #497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Machan, push to 140 in the scorp on the hiway and the mileage drops to 10. Had to ease off.

Btw, you guys are now one storm less
Well people talk about 12~14 kmpl. Heck I have only received 12.0x KMPL once in the Storm's life. Normal is about 11.5 kmpl. This is on the highway. City about 9.x i think. Stopped bothering long time back.

Well you see I moved from my Uno Petrol which was giving 9KMPL in city and max 13kmpl on Highway. You also as an ex FIAT owner shouldn't complain .

Oh a few owners here and there doesn't matter
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 12:52   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well people talk about 12~14 kmpl. Heck I have only received 12.0x KMPL once in the Storm's life. Normal is about 11.5 kmpl. This is on the highway. City about 9.x i think. Stopped bothering long time back.
Anirudh,

Hi, You will get 13.xx if you do not:

1. Go over 3K rpm
2. Go below 1800 rpm
3. Anticipate and slow instead of brake
4. Feather the A pedal instead of Pedal to Metal [which i love to do]
5. Take a longer route which is less congested than a shorter one that makes you work the gearbox!

All the above figures are with AC and music system ON. BTW, the 3rd gear is good from 20 kph onwards without issues too.

Try it out.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 12:55   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Anirudh,

Hi, You will get 13.xx if you do not:

1. Go over 3K rpm
2. Go below 1800 rpm
3. Anticipate and slow instead of brake
4. Feather the A pedal instead of Pedal to Metal [which i love to do]
5. Take a longer route which is less congested than a shorter one that makes you work the gearbox!

All the above figures are with AC and music system ON. BTW, the 3rd gear is good from 20 kph onwards without issues too.

Try it out.
Vikram,

I'll try whatever you said.

In city I'm hovering around 1000~2000 rpm. How does driving below 1800 reduces FE?

Please educate.

And oh yes I do work the GB a lot. trying to keep the engine at an RPM band.

Cheers
Old 29th May 2010, 13:18   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vikram,

I'll try whatever you said.

In city I'm hovering around 1000~2000 rpm. How does driving below 1800 reduces FE?

Please educate.

And oh yes I do work the GB a lot. trying to keep the engine at an RPM band.

Cheers
Hi, This might be OT: so please ignore if not needed:

In any vehicle, if you are hovering around the max torque rpm, you will get the best FE. Some well designed engines have their max torque and max power beautifully spaced out. This helps in the driveability of the vehicle.

Now, The peak torque of 26.5 kgm is at 1750-2250 rpm. The Peak power of the Storm is around 4000 odd rpm. BUT the engine does all kinds of noises before it reaches 4K. Also, the engine peaks out at 4200-4400 odd. This indicates that this engine in this vehicle does not like those revs.

Also, this engine has a torque band of 500 rpm only. This is the peak torque and anywhere slightly below or above it you will get 70 to 90% torque and the engine will pull beautifully.

Hence driving this vehicle between 1500 to 2500 rpm ideally will give you the best FE. There is also another problem in this particular model.

The engine vibrations leave a lot to be desired especially at 1600 - 1800 rpm in 3, 4 and 5 gears. This seems to be a problem with the vehicle rather than anything else.

I would imagine the engine mounting points are not optimised to absorb the vibrations and hence the vibrations are transmitted via the body to the driver / passengers.

This makes us to effectively use only 1800-2200 rpm. Hence we need to work the GB more.

This is my experience of driving the storm over 22K odd kms.

Driving below at 1000-1800 rpm will NOT give you FE as you are mostly below the peak torque and are lugging the vehicle.

PS: Maybe Spike and Behram sir could add / educate on the technical side.

Cheers
Old 29th May 2010, 17:11   #501
BHPian

Did a short TD of the mHawk; I'm convinced the Scorp is being bought for the engine alone. This one is sweet! It pulls and pulls and pulls!

The rest is plain disappointing; front seats are cramped and too far apart, rear leg room is minimal, Rear seat is quite thin with minimal bolster; quality of plastics wasn't so great etc. etc. Ride and handling is more boat-like than a stock Bolero ( nothing that B6 cannot fix though!); overall I expected the mHawk to be in another league compared to the Bolero; but was disappointed. Guess the Bolero Storm can hold a candle to the mHawk; will be TDing the Storm soon.

Something unexpected happened on the way back; went with a friend to check out the Manza, ended up TD'ing the Safari...and Voila. Time to reclaim my life??
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 17:19   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Did a short TD of the mHawk; I'm convinced the Scorp is being bought for the engine alone. This one is sweet! It pulls and pulls and pulls!

The rest is plain disappointing; front seats are cramped and too far apart, rear leg room is minimal, Rear seat is quite thin with minimal bolster; quality of plastics wasn't so great etc. etc. Ride and handling is more boat-like than a stock Bolero ( nothing that B6 cannot fix though!); overall I expected the mHawk to be in another league compared to the Bolero; but was disappointed. Guess the Bolero Storm can hold a candle to the mHawk; will be TDing the Storm soon.

Something unexpected happened on the way back; went with a friend to check out the Manza, ended up TD'ing the Safari...and Voila. Time to reclaim my life??
Well yes,Mhawk is the best thing in the Scorpio,about the front seats and Handling i agree,bolero handles better and feels lighter,may be the height of the scorpio is Culprit?
Which Version of the Scorpio did you TD?
and whats the impression regarding the Safari?
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 19:51   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Well yes,Mhawk is the best thing in the Scorpio,about the front seats and Handling i agree,bolero handles better and feels lighter,may be the height of the scorpio is Culprit?
Which Version of the Scorpio did you TD?
and whats the impression regarding the Safari?
The Scorp was a Vlx, with TPS, ABS etc. etc.

Safari was a pleasant surprise; Comfort levels are way ahead; seats are excellent, rear legroom was super; visibility is excellent, the drivers ergonomics are good. Quality of plastics was as expected : poor. A/C was good. A general air of comfort and luxury was omnipresent inside.

Engine is very coarse in the lower gears; first gear is only for a few spins of the wheels; second gear without throttle is good for traffic. Didn't get a decent bit of road to stretch it's legs; but one gets the feeling that crusing will be stress free; with 140 horses on tap. Engine though not so refined, gave the impression of lots of torque (with lots of lag!). The ladies were mighty impressed with the Safari!

At the end of the day the safari did open a window of thought..What if? The Base LX is under 9 L on the road (without discounts) and looks like terrific VFM. Should make for a great highway bruiser!
Old 29th May 2010, 21:04   #504
Senior - BHPian

Bolero DI gave me 15 kmpl easily in highways with load and without AC. FE conscious driving but.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 21:10   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Bolero DI gave me 15 kmpl easily in highways with load and without AC. FE conscious driving but.
But What?

@JosePeter i agree about safari being spacious,and comfortable.
but the engine seems crude compared to the Mhawk and has turbo lag as well,which is quite irritating in traffic.
Plastic quality wise both safari and Scorpio are almost similar.
Safari is more of a highway cruiser,where as scorpio is quite nimble in city and pretty decent on highways too.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 21:18   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Quote:
The Scorp was a Vlx, with TPS, ABS etc. etc.

Safari was a pleasant surprise; Comfort levels are way ahead; seats are excellent, rear legroom was super; visibility is excellent, the drivers ergonomics are good. Quality of plastics was as expected : poor. A/C was good. A general air of comfort and luxury was omnipresent inside.

Engine is very coarse in the lower gears; first gear is only for a few spins of the wheels; second gear without throttle is good for traffic. Didn't get a decent bit of road to stretch it's legs; but one gets the feeling that crusing will be stress free; with 140 horses on tap. Engine though not so refined, gave the impression of lots of torque (with lots of lag!).

At the end of the day the safari did open a window of thought..What if? The Base LX is under 9 L on the road (without discounts) and looks like terrific VFM. Should make for a great highway bruiser!
The suspension of the scorpio is the culprit IMO.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:29   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The suspension of the scorpio is the culprit IMO.
In which case the STORM should behave just like a Scorpio since it is supposed to be enriched with Scorp suspension

BTW : Any info on when we can expect a 4x4 Storm?
Old 1st June 2010, 07:42   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In which case the STORM should behave just like a Scorpio since it is supposed to be enriched with Scorp suspension

BTW : Any info on when we can expect a 4x4 Storm?
The first gen scorpio with rear leafs had less body roll compared the present one. Plus the body roll is also a function of vehicle height and since Bolero is squatter, the roll is less

And yes don't expect the 4X4 Storm anytime soon, especially not before the THAR, else THAR will get cannibalised
Old 15th June 2010, 08:32   #509
Senior - BHPian

Its a long time since april 1 and mahindra still not out with their BS IV Bolero..
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 09:21   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Its a long time since april 1 and mahindra still not out with their BS IV Bolero..
Bolero CRDe is already out with BS-IV variant. No idea about DI Turbo.