Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th September 2011, 10:21   #646
BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

Gentlemen,
instead of cribbing about where the engine came from or how DI / X3DP was retrofitted, has anybody done the test drive on the beast to tell whether it's "Sheep in Lion's clothes" or if it's really one?
SAMUDRA is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 11:52   #647
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

What i dont get is the complete disregard for any safety equipment like ABS / Airbags etc. I dont know why M&M cannot offer such add-ons as options also.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:36   #648
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

The front view does look good. I am beginning to like the front grill of the new Bolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
...to tell whether it's "Sheep in Lion's clothes" or if it's really one?
or if it is just "Sheep in loin cloth "
Blue Thunder is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 15:25   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
Speaking of the Armada, do you think that Mahindra designs are getting worse as each generations pass? The original Armada was a looker, but its successor Armada Grand was rather ugly. The original Bolero was also a good looking vehicle, which has degenerated in the looks departments through its two major facelifts. Similarly, type 1 Scorpio was real good, type 2 was ugly, and the present one is straight out of "The Flying Dutchman", a real Davy Jones' ride.
I agree to that. The Grand was ugly, the only saving grace was the change of engine from the 2200 CC XDP 4.9 Peugeot engine (62 HP) to the 2.5 Litre Peugeot XD3P engine which developed 72 HP. And the (then) new generation chassis along with the 5 speed BA 10 gearbox replacing old, bicep strengthening 4-speed gearbox.

It didnt click, the Mahindras went back to the design board, took an armada, changed the front end, added a few cosmetic changes, and bolted it on to the chassis of the Grand, retaining the XD3P Engine/BA10 Gearbox. Named it Bolero and created history.

The Bolero clicked instantly. There wasnt an alternative to Sumo then,and compared to Sumo, the Bolero looked classy (which it is). After 5 years and a couple of variants ( I mean, a few cosmetic ones),it ran out of steam. In the meantime, by the end of 2004, the XL was launched with 16'' wheels and DI engine, that powered its Commander and the Camper. It did reasonably well. Then the new Bolero was launched with the Turbocharged engine. Changes were made to the front grill and bumper. Headlights were redesigned, as were the tail lamp covers. So far good as the Bolero still looked good. It is since the introduction of this model that the Bolero attained the tag of India's Largest Selling SUV. Since then, the Mahindra lost plot looks-wise.

Sumo too looks better in its original avatar.

Scorpio looked better in its original exterior. Though the tail lamps were minuscule compared to the size of the vehicle, the later version of the same with tall tail lights was absolutely garish.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 15:32   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
MDI is a very noisy engine like tractor whereas the XD3P is not. Does that means that the MDI CRDE also going to be noisy?
I have observed that the turbo charged version of the same engine made less noise in Tata with Indica engine more clattery than the Indigo's turbo charged engine ( even without the IC). The Bolero's engine too was less noisy compared to the non-turbo DI.

The naturally aspirated 2523 CC DI engine was not used in Bolero. It was confined to the Camper and the Commander. Only when it was turbocharged was it used in the Bolero.

One more thing - when used in the Camper, it was never insulated for sound. There was no insulated fire wall, no sound insulating material under the bonnet. With the Bolero they have provided sound-deadening material.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 17:37   #651
BHPian

No TD Bolero ZLX models in any of Bangalore Mahindra dealers, looks like need to wait for a month to TD.Booking started, 4 weeks waiting period as of now.
supratim07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 20:37   #652
BHPian

On road price in Bangalore for Bolero ZLX - 8.29 Lakhs.....SLX - 8.09 Lakhs
supratim07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 22:25   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
One more thing - when used in the Camper, it was never insulated for sound. There was no insulated fire wall, no sound insulating material under the bonnet. With the Bolero they have provided sound-deadening material.
I had never really driven a DI Turbo Bolero, and recently got an opportunity to drive one. With the insulation, the sound level inside is quite acceptable because of the insulation. Although from the outside, it does sound like a lorry.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 15:45   #654
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

So this is 62 bhp only!!! Heck.

I was thinking we are getting the 75 bhp Genio Engine.

Folks with the STORM here keep that beast. I am keeping the XD3P First Gen.

I think in the STORM we have seen the last of the Boleroes (Mohicans). Now it is a cash cow.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:11   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So this is 62 bhp only!!! Heck.

I was thinking we are getting the 75 bhp Genio Engine.

Folks with the STORM here keep that beast. I am keeping the XD3P First Gen.

I think in the STORM we have seen the last of the Boleroes (Mohicans). Now it is a cash cow.
62bhp,you sure about this??
even i thought 75
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:16   #656
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
62bhp,you sure about this??
even i thought 75
YEP!! Oh god I thought I was the only one.

Checked their website power 46.3 kW @3200 rpm.

Converted 62.09
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 18:00   #657
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
YEP!! Oh god I thought I was the only one.

Checked their website power 46.3 kW @3200 rpm.

Converted 62.09
I am also looking forward for the new Bolero as I was planning for a change from my current Bolero. I am also considering Thar. But now the new Bolero with 62 Bhp seems to be out unless acceleration is good for overtaking on high ways. With my current Bolero (SLX with X3DP) is a pain overtaking. I am not suggesting cruising beyond 80-90 kms/hr. But quick acceleration is a must for overtaking. The other grudge is on braking and the third not having a foldable 2nd row seat. The new bolero not taking care of any of these and on road price at 8.25 in Blr Looks like I have to now see whether I can get a descent hardtop for Thar, if so I may go for a Thar than Bolero.
jp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 18:15   #658
Senior - BHPian

Race-chip tuning box is now available for Mahindra car segments too.
http://www.racechip.de/chiptuning/Mahindra-59-h.html
aks_karthik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 19:15   #659
Senior - BHPian

The torque range has increased to 2200 rpm, so this should be better than the outgoing DI turbo with respect to pick-up or NVH characteristics. No TD available until now.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 22:23   #660
BHPian

Can anyone pls give their test drive experience specially around the "peppy" nature Mahindra claims it to be, NVH and ride ? Do also let me know if a Vlx is still available with any of the dealers in Punjab or Gurgaon, if anyone has inside information ?
Hondaism is offline   Reply With Quote