Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th September 2011, 10:45   #661
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

The drive experience is rather good for a vehicle in its own class - a cheaper and crude SUV, the DI engine is very good so is the sound muffling of the new CRDe engine, it is a tad bit quiter outside inside the cabin the sound level is same.

Both the DI engine or the new engine are OK, peppy enough for Indian highway condition and on 2x4 navigable off road tracks. It is the best sub 7 Lakh SUV still.
desertfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 11:13   #662
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

For Hyderabad.

There is only one engine and its 63 bhp.
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-bolero.jpg
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 14:04   #663
Senior - BHPian

I liked this old Bolero Storm Ad. Quite appropriate I say. In honour of the outgoing model,the dedicate the all who have driven/owned the Storm and fell in love with it

Last edited by MileCruncher : 19th September 2011 at 14:07.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 17:04   #664
Senior - BHPian

See the full interior pictures here:

Mahindra Bolero features, images, comparison

For a change, I am in love with the interiors. Can I expect a full blown review?
amtak is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 17:21   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
See the full interior pictures here:

Mahindra Bolero features, images, comparison

For a change, I am in love with the interiors. Can I expect a full blown review?
That is quite a change from the previous gen model. Awaiting ownership reviews of the new Bolero!
mTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 17:30   #666
Senior - BHPian

Yes, indeed. It is also mentioned that Mahindra is mulling to launch a version with ABS, Airbags and 4*4 soon. Even if they take 6 months, they have a winner. No other model offers so much.

My take - remove the stickers and give it some nice alloys. It'll make the vehicle look much better.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 18:03   #667
Distinguished - BHPian

Managed to get a drive in the ZLX and sorry folks, wasn't carrying any camera with me.

Cranked the engine, its smoother, the steering is more up-right and good to hold.

Slotted the Car into reverse and can't see a thing as the Car was driven over 300kms and was full of muck. The rear wash-wipe came to the rescue and cleared things up.

Instrumentation despite going digital, left a lot to be desired as far as fonts, colors go and you can't judge as to where the revs are on the fly. The older speedo/rpm gauge worked better.

There was instantaneous fuel consumption read out & though wasn't pushing the Car in was stuck at 12.4-12.7kmpl throughout.

The gear shift was slick (relatively) and I liked it. `NVH levels are pretty decent and the in cabin noise is comparable to a Safari than a Scorpio. I didn't push over 90kmph & by then very little tire noise filtered in & music was playing coupled with the sales representative on the phone, hence...

I didn't like the looks much and would rate both the (this) new Boleros on par. The older one with the Peugeot engine still appears the most good looking to me.

A/C as usual was a chiller and there wasn't much to chose as far as ergos, steering-feel or brakes go. The maximum improvement was in NVH & geabox department.

The stickering too is garish & it would appear more handsome without one.

It might dethrone the SLX from its best seller avatar.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 19:24   #668
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Mahindra is mulling to launch a version with ABS, Airbags and 4*4 soon. Even if they take 6 months, they have a winner. No other model offers so much.

My take - remove the stickers and give it some nice alloys. It'll make the vehicle look much better.
The space at last row jump seats are pathetic. As a seven seater They must have offered 4440 Length chasis instead of 4107 as the length to height ratio and hence the GC for better handling could have achieved with the height of 1880mm.

ABS must come with all models given the GC and handling. What Mahindra refreshed is incomplete now. M&M must offer ABS, Airbags, 4x4 as selectable option for the buyer at competitive price. An ex-showroom price of 8L with all three ABS+Airbags+4x4 with decent alloys is my wish
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 21:21   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of the Armada, do you think that Mahindra designs are getting worse as each generations pass? The original Armada was a looker, but its successor Armada Grand was rather ugly. The original Bolero was also a good looking vehicle, which has degenerated in the looks departments through its two major facelifts. Similarly, type 1 Scorpio was real good, type 2 was ugly, and the present one is straight out of "The Flying Dutchman", a real Davy Jones' ride.
I can't completely agree that all Mahindra designs get worse through generations. The original Armada was crappy looking, but then it got a slight refresh with new bumpers and turn signals that made it look a lot better. (The NGCS model).

Personally, I think that the Bolero has got better through the face-lifts. The latest iterations is my favourite. The original Bolero was a looker, but it looks dated now. Some of the elements of the previous gen Bolero (like the Walrus tooth) could have been avoided, and the add-ons on the bumper were an eyesore, but overall, I feel it looked more modern. The latest one looks quite sporty, IMO and I'm completely in love with it. There's nothing that I can find fault with.

As for the Scorpio, I never liked the 2006+ models, with the hanging mud-flaps at the front. Also wasn't thrilled about the christmas-tree lights at the rear. But I like the front of the latest gen Scorpio, and I've got used to the rear.

The thing with looks is that it subjective. 'In the eyes of the beholder' and all that.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 03:36   #670
BHPian

Can someone post some detailed pictures of the new Bolero. Its website is pathetic for in depth pictures. Maybe Team BHP should do a detailed test drive.
pamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 08:30   #671
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Race-chip tuning box is now available for Mahindra car segments too.
Tuning - Prof. Chiptuning durch RaceChip Tuning Box
Understandably this engine is not yet added, may take some time.
But as I understand, one advantage of converting this 63bhp unit into CRDI is that It contains an ECU now and would possible to tune the engine using any such external boxes.
Vishal.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 14:38   #672
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for OT, but can we expect this dash/interior treatment in the V2 THAR !? I think it deserves it at the current price point!!
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 22:03   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Understandably this engine is not yet added, may take some time.
But as I understand, one advantage of converting this 63bhp unit into CRDI is that It contains an ECU now and would possible to tune the engine using any such external boxes.
I do hope that there will be a Tuning box available, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure that there will be a big enough market for it. The M2DI is an old push-rod design. There are limits to the mods it can take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Sorry for OT, but can we expect this dash/interior treatment in the V2 THAR !? I think it deserves it at the current price point!!
Definitely agree. It's understandable that the Thar looks the way it is (half-finished) because the team was working on a shoestring budget, but now that it has proven to be a good seller, Mahindra should go back to the drawing board and redesign the interiors, before the novelty wears off and sales begin to taper down.

For every Thar customer, I'll bet there are ten who are unable to convince their families to let them buy it, because of the lack of basic creature comforts. . If the features available in the Bolero SLE could be had in Thar at the same or slightly higher price, sales would go through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamiboy View Post
Can someone post some detailed pictures of the new Bolero. Its website is pathetic for in depth pictures. Maybe Team BHP should do a detailed test drive.
I dunno if these have been posted before, but here goes.

These images are from IndianAutosBlog.

India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages1.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages3.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages5.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages10.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages13.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages6.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages8.jpg
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-mahindrabolerofaceliftimages11.jpg

These images are from the Mahindra Bolero website.

Name:  Mahindra20Bolero2.jpg
Views: 5769
Size:  39.1 KB
Name:  Mahindra20Bolero3.jpg
Views: 6543
Size:  36.5 KB

EDIT: BTW I just noted that the dash has windscreen demisting vents. Did the prev. model have those?

Last edited by vivekgk : 20th September 2011 at 22:07.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:56   #674
BHPian

Wow!!! This is the one version which I liked most.I am trying to upgrade my vehicle from a premium hatch to a SUV and whenever I visit a showroom, I am disappointed to see SUV like Safari's and Scorpio's they are going out of reach for me. I have to blame the Government as they keep on increasing the taxes making it more difficult to catch up with ever increasing cost. Actually, I didn't consider Bolero though I have liked it because of its poor front image and interiors. But this new Bolero looks good with improved engine. I wanted to test drive it but my nearest dealer has received only one vehicle it seems and it is not for test drive yet. Though I looked at it, I found that the front seats seriously lag any thigh support and the steering is very much up mounted. I also felt that the second row seats have very low legroom space when the front row seats are pulled back. Just like my current swift. Anyhow I think I would have to compromise on few of the things in order to own an SUV. It also doubles as Poor man's SUV and I am happy that it has won few awards.
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:07   #675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
EDIT: BTW I just noted that the dash has windscreen demisting vents. Did the prev. model have those?
Windscreen demisting vents were never present in the older models and also in the present model I doubt if its functional?
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote