Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th March 2012, 22:40   #706
BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
lifebuoy,

you will get clear idea if you go through threads, one thing you get feed back about bolero is "reliability", on my detailed TD of bolero i felt reliability is not just the only factor one can make a decision but a allrounder car which will fit the practical requirement. almost 5people who had the intentions of buying Bolero changed thier mind which includes me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...e-mkii-11.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ed-sumo-8.html (Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!)

meanwhile Sumo Gold with CR$ is a solid contender, only thing which goes against it is the "looks"
I agree with you lohit. I have been scouring the net and can come to these statistics:
1. FE : Gold : 12-15 kpl, Bolero: 12-16 kpl.
2. ZLX features the micro hybrid + voice command system extra than the GX, both of which are useless, in my opinion. I can live without both.
3. The Gold GX comes with a Kenwood CD player (no USB !), the Bolero also comes with a CD player only (ZLX)
4. Both cost about the same 6.99 (ZLX) and 6.94 (GX), i guess the Sumo is better ? ( more space, better comfort).
5. Power : the Gold beats the Bolero Hollow ! (85 vs 63).

I have a generic question. Why does a 3L CRDi (CR4) engine develop only 85 bhp, when a 2.2 L CRDi develop 140 bhp ? (Both TATA engines?) The same for mahindra's m2DiCr and the hawk ?

Sandy
lifebuoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 13:50   #707
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

I have a generic question. Why does a 3L CRDi (CR4) engine develop only 85 bhp, when a 2.2 L CRDi develop 140 bhp ? (Both TATA engines?) The same for mahindra's m2DiCr and the hawk ?

Sandy
Because 2.2L DICOR is a absolutely built from ground unit whereas the other engines are old gen engines with a bolt on injection system. Plus the power is neutered to give more efficiency.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 16:01   #708
BHPian

Does this mean that these engines are bereft of the turbo charger and / or the Intercooler ? I don't see the honeycomb grill-radiator-like box in the Gold's CR4 engine bay photos, that is seen in say, the meagle engine or the Indigo eCS CR4 ?
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 15:33   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Does this mean that these engines are bereft of the turbo charger and / or the Intercooler ?
Sumo gold has an Turbo and Intercooler. I have seen it myself at the dealership. Intercooler is placed inside the engine bay next to the radiator.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 19:25   #710
Distinguished - BHPian

Brand new Boleros sighted yesterday on NH 6 moving towards east from Nashik.Almost each one was silver in colour and Mahindra still uses the vintage ways to transport its UV's by road for thousands of kilometers to the dealerships.I peeped in but could not notice any passengers inside - usually the drivers carry passengers from bus stops along the highway from destinations A to B or C etc.
India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)-dsc09046.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 21:31   #711
BHPian

Very interesting thread. Why don't we get some right definitions of a SUV? I for one, don't know the exact definition of an SUV (Except for the 4x4, off roading etc..)
sheelapratosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2012, 22:51   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Mahindra still uses the vintage ways to transport its UV's by road for thousands of kilometers to the dealerships
This is the single most thing I hate with M&M, even my Bolero SLX was delivered to me with a odo reading of 1526kms and with the same excuse. And to top it all in the order form the SE silently took my mother's signature in one of the papers which puts the risk of transporting on the owner's head i.e. my mother.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th March 2012 at 23:18. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 10:54   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Brand new Boleros sighted yesterday on NH 6 moving towards east from Nashik....
Thanks for the pics!
Did you check what variant these were...anything mentioned in the badging on the side?
These are the longer wheelbase variants (not the 9+1 seater cab version), with the curvy roof, which I thought they had stopped producing.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 11:47   #714
BHPian

Mind boggling to see this car selling so well even now!

The "Reliable tag" is a tricky thing since it depends on who is saying that & against what is it being compared to. If you are driving a tata indica (No offence guys) and then move on to Bolero, i am sure you will find the car sufficiently nice to drive since the benchmark it is being compared to matters a lot. I think the indian public needs to get more value for thier money since none of these cars are cheap (Bolero & Indica) for what they are offering.

Recently my friend wanted to pick up a balero which cost almost 8.3 lakhs (OTR) and i begged him to consider paying little more for a Scorpio (or) wait for Duster. He however seems to have had a childhood cursh on the bolero (thats how old the model is ) and so after a lot of dilly dallying he took delivery last week. I was all the more preplexed to hear that he had a issue with delivery time & had to escalate to get the vehicle on time. It is an inside joke in M&M on what more they need to do to stop the demand for the Balero & they need a R&D dept to figure a way to stop producing the Balero.

I am normally not a skeptic but when i see Ambassadors still sold & Bolero having a 3 months waiting list...
urajkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 14:33   #715
BHPian

^^^^ Do you believe that thousands of people who buy Boleros are retards or because they have a "crush" on Bolero. Market is a true judge of a product in its totality and suitability for a purpose. Bolero sells for a reason. If you cannot figure out why do not presuppose that it is due to poor discretion.
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 15:09   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
^^^^ Do you believe that thousands of people who buy Boleros are retards or because they have a "crush" on Bolero. Market is a true judge of a product in its totality and suitability for a purpose. Bolero sells for a reason. If you cannot figure out why do not presuppose that it is due to poor discretion.
Jediknight: Sorry if i offended you but as i mentioned above i meant it purely stating that paying so much for a 10 year old product is not correct. If the same bolero was sold at 6.5 lakhs OTR, it would still make sense. It does boil my blood to see cars like Civic sold at Bolero cost outside India & strongly feel that thousands of indians are getting short changed everyday.

I definetely did not mean to infer that anyone is a retard (the person i mentioned is a close friend whom i respect and it is tantamount to insulting myself). The decision of buying a car is a result of many things but most importantly an emotional decision which was THE deciding factor for his choice.

To reiterate i agree that "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder" & apologize if my comments offended anyone. It is still however my personal opinion which i still standby & something i will continue to express.

Last edited by urajkumar : 12th March 2012 at 15:14.
urajkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 17:07   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Very interesting thread. Why don't we get some right definitions of a SUV? I for one, don't know the exact definition of an SUV (Except for the 4x4, off roading etc..)
Exactly I was about to touch this point.
How to qualify Bolero and Sumo Gold as SUV's.
These are to be called as UV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
Mind boggling to see this car selling so well even now! ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
... Market is a true judge of a product in its totality and suitability for a purpose. Bolero sells for a reason. If you cannot figure out why do not presuppose that it is due to poor discretion.
Yes, Market is a true judge of a product but its a universal truth that Best selling products need not tick all the check boxes. They are sold for several reasons and it need not be attributed to the quality/reliabity or any other terms.

I think urajkumar was referring to this and anyway I dont have any offese on your posting JediKnight
Ashley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 17:21   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Thanks for the pics!
Did you check what variant these were...anything mentioned in the badging on the side?
These are the longer wheelbase variants (not the 9+1 seater cab version), with the curvy roof, which I thought they had stopped producing.
Hi,
These are called bolero Di which comes in 2wd & 4wd options.This vehicles are having a curvy roofs and 6inch more leg room in rear part. Front door is from normal bolero and rear door is from Bolero XL, end part is again from normal bolero.

Manual steering,no ac, no ps.Basic seats.No carpets.Rexin roofs.

See my altered 4wd vehicle pic below.
Attached Images

Rajith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 19:45   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
...These are called bolero Di which comes in 2wd & 4wd options.This vehicles are having a curvy roofs and 6inch more leg room in rear part. Front door is from normal bolero and rear door is from Bolero XL, end part is again from normal bolero...
Yes, I am aware of this variant. I thought they had stopped producing this variant. Which year did you buy your Bolero? And is it 2.5L or the DI Turbo ?
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 21:18   #720
BHPian

hi,
i brought in 2008.DI Turbo 4wd with NGT520-T18 TC.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote