Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd April 2012, 13:19   #736
AVR
BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

The sloping front of the Bolero also doesn't appeal to me as much as the old vertical front used to. There's a certain ruggedness about the old look while the new one is neither here nor there in terms of ruggedness or being sleek! Good part is that they are getting increasingly refined and the DI engine I guess can go on forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Just to give a perspective (if it makes you feel better !), I am the kind of guy who would drool over the Mahindra Marshal (NGCS/Hard-top/classic-CJ-looks),
Totally and absolutely the same view here! Just yesterday I was wondering why Bolero's moved from the CJ look to the current look. A CJ-look hard top LWB with 35-inchers would have been the ideal vehicle with a good torquey Crde engine. 4wd. Majaa ni life. lol
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:58   #737
BHPian

Default Re: India's largest selling SUV: Mahindra Bolero (Pic-Pg 36. Launch - Pg 41)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
This is not DI Plus. Plus had longer wheelbase. These were called simply 'Bolero DI'. A bare basic no AC no PS 2wd model. Earlier this model was available to individuals with cost of some 5.5 Ex showroom.

Actually I wanted to buy very same model but sales person replied that nowadays this model is made for bulk orders only.
Could be the basic DI, but it looked to me as DI Plus.

I thought of buying that model when it was introduced in 2004. That was a non turbo original DI engine mated to 4 speed gearbox but couldnt buy it then. These vehicles were sold in less numbers and almost all the people who bought the model were related to the motor field one way or the other.

Given the ruggedness of the vehicle and the longevity, it would have lasted lifetime for me.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:28   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Agreed, statistics say so! The Bolero is the largest selling vehicle in its category. I believe M&M is adding up sales of the Bolero, the Camper (or Pickup),Maxx, Savari and also their pick-up versions and clubbing all these figures to represent the Bolero.
This is because in the M&M sales statistics, nowhere do we find the sales figures of all these "n" number of variants listed by the company separately. After all, the other variants have a very strong rural base and are used to carry scores of passengers and goods.Its hence easy to club all these variants together as the Bolero and ride piggyback on this brand name.
The person going through the sales figures will say "Wow, the Bolero is selling so well! I'll also buy one."
More than two decades back, Bajaj Auto used to club the m80 and Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 sales, as sales of its motorbikes as a whole and the figures would be shown alongside the competitors Hero Honda CD 100 and Yamaha RX 100 sales. But all this jugglery did not work for Bajaj and the Kawasaki KB 100/125 remained at no. 3 till it vanished.
Its a joke now that the m80 was treated as a motorcycle. But it partly lived up this categorization and started replacing Rajdoots in villages by the hundreds. I have seen rural Maharashtra vie by the m80 for at least a decade after the Rajdoot 175 went into oblivion.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd April 2012 at 19:32.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:01   #739
BHPian

Quote:
I believe M&M is adding up sales of the Bolero, the Camper (or Pickup),Maxx, Savari and also their pick-up versions and clubbing all these figures to represent the Bolero.
How did you gather this information? As far as I know the Bolero sales figures are whooping because all the Govt. departments in India have been directed to buy Bolero for their official use. But this is done after forming an expert committee, which after analysing various factors like price, reliability, fuel efficiency, cost of maintenance etc, selected this vehicle for Govt use. This position was earlier held by good old ambassador, Mahindra Major and Marshal. Long live Bolero!
Ashley Nair is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 19:30   #740
BHPian

Another feather to the cap of Bolero: -

Mahindra's Bolero sales cross one-lakh mark - Economic Times

Extract from the article:
"Domestic SUV major Mahindra & Mahindra today said that its flagship SUV Bolero crossed the one-lakh mark in sales in the last fiscal.
With sales of 1,00,686 units in the previous financial year as against 83,112 in FY 2010-11, the vehicle registered its highest ever annual sales since inception, a company press release said here."
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 14:54   #741
BHPian

Bolero crossing 1 lakh units is not at all a surprise. I dont think Mahindra would club the Camper, Maxx and Savari models, especially when there is a waiting period of about 6 weeks for the vehicle.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 16:01   #742
Senior - BHPian

i dont think there is that long waiting period for Bolero, atleast this part of the world. i was told that they can get the deliver happen in 10-20days dependin on certain colors, some colors they had ready stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Bolero crossing 1 lakh units is not at all a surprise. I dont think Mahindra would club the Camper, Maxx and Savari models, especially when there is a waiting period of about 6 weeks for the vehicle.
lohithrao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 16:52   #743
BHPian

Just came back from Mahindra showroom after getting quote for Bolero ZLX.

I am told the waiting period for Bolero ZLX is anywhere between 2.5 to 3 months. The on-road cost here is coming to around 7.85 L for the top model.

One Question: Does the BS-4 model of bolero come with a 4X4, atleast as an option. The sales executive was sure they don't offer it. But then, he did not even know, Scorpio base model comes with 4X4. So, just want to confirm, if there is really an option for 4X4 in Bolero BS4 model.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:08   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Just came back from Mahindra showroom after getting quote for Bolero ZLX.

I am told the waiting period for Bolero ZLX is anywhere between 2.5 to 3 months. The on-road cost here is coming to around 7.85 L for the top model.

One Question: Does the BS-4 model of bolero come with a 4X4, atleast as an option. The sales executive was sure they don't offer it. But then, he did not even know, Scorpio base model comes with 4X4. So, just want to confirm, if there is really an option for 4X4 in Bolero BS4 model.
Just enquired about 4x4 Bolero in Bangalore dealers.

It is still not available in BS4 versions. Might be released sometime in the future.

4x4 is available only in BS3 version (Bolero DI with MDI engine, no AC and no PS).
That too is available against booking (50k refundable) with a waiting period of 6 months.
There is another version Bolero LX 4wd (with PS and no AC). But this is sold for the Government. Not available for public in Bangalore.

I am waiting for mini Xylo to be released so that i can decide whether to go for mini xylo or the Bolero
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2012, 12:56   #745
BHPian

Is there a 4wd model available in Bolero SLE variant...?
I enquired with India Garage Mysore and came to know that SLE (AC + PS) 4wd BS3 is available against order. The same is not available in any of the dealers in Bangalore.

Anyone has any information on this..?
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2012, 12:23   #746
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
pic of dash on their website indicates existence of 4X4 and ABS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Is it just me, or what?. I find this digital speedo and tacho funny in a vehicle like the bolero. It looks completely out of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
What i dont get is the complete disregard for any safety equipment like ABS / Airbags etc. I dont know why M&M cannot offer such add-ons as options also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Mahindra would have designed the instrument cluster with all these indication lamp like for ABS, 4WD etc so that whenever required, they can use them.
Is it possible that Mahindra just lifted the console from some other vehicle. Probably some Chinese SUV with all these options.

I have gone through the entire thread. The number of engines is so confusing. Can someone list out all the Engines used by Mahindra and on which vehicle. Also which engine is based on which old engine and which are entirely new. Another question I had was about the engine which came in the Allwyn Nissan. Allwyn Nissan was bought by Mahindra and they still make a truck based on it. Is that engine used on any of the Jeeps?
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2012, 13:01   #747
BHPian

Does anyone knows if there is any difference in weight in New Boleros & Type 2 Boleros?
Its just my opinion that the body metal of Refresh models are lighter than earlier models & also checked that the Chassis thickness is lesser in New Refrsh Model Boleros. Is it to reduce the weight?

Also, not sure but I cant understand the need to reduce the thickness in chassis rails. Is it more rust proof than before or whats the exact change?
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:00   #748
Senior - BHPian

M&M is working on an All-New Bolero which will address most of the flaws the current one has got. This one is expected in 3 years from now, i.e. 2015. Please refer ACI report on the same:

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/317...o-in-2015.aspx
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:28   #749
Senior - BHPian

As many are aware the new Boleros are transported/driven to dealers location, which maybe of 300+ kms, so getting a brand new vehicle is far fetched dream.

other day saw a fleet of new boleros on NH17, been driven to the mangalore dealer, they were easily doing 70-80kmph, this was one of the reasons which kept me away from Bolero.
lohithrao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:23   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
M&M is working on an All-New Bolero which will address most of the flaws the current one has got. This one is expected in 3 years from now, i.e. 2015.
M&M could get it right only if they choose to ditch the old architecture of the frame and body and go for a radically new design approach.

the old platform is the real reason for the skewed ergonomics and I thoroughly hate M&M for this.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote