Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th March 2010, 18:31   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Hi samsan02,

Excellent work and Analysis mate.

I haven't come across such a comprehensive analysis template on this subject yet. It sure helps in making a decision.
Thanks deetjohn! It took me around half a day to come out with something like that. I wanted to include loan option as well, that makes it easier to decide accordingly.

I hope its useful to every one out there.
Old 25th March 2010, 22:18   #197
BHPian

awesome work samsan02 very well formulated data without any bias.
Old 26th March 2010, 18:32   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaushik View Post
awesome work samsan02 very well formulated data without any bias.
Thanks akaushik ! Ofcourse there is no bias, Atfirst I was too reluctant to go for a petrol car initially thou my running was less. But soon had to convince myself when the actual numbers showed up. I know many people go for the diesel cars just for the heck of it, so its always better to make informed decisions.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:30   #199
Senior - BHPian

I still dont understand why it's always petrol and Diesel. Why do Manufacturers dont give dedicated CNG/LPG vehicles? They will be cheaper to own and run and good for the environment too.
Old 28th March 2010, 05:15   #200
Senior - BHPian

@devarshi84 - Probably because of two factors: that a CNG / LPG engine is still a petrol engine modified to accept CNG / LPG (hence makes no sense to remove the petrol part), and there are not that many CNG / LPG pumps around - if you are dangerously low on CNG / LPG, you would not want to be stranded, do you?!! More over you can still buy petrol in a can if you do get stranded...
Old 9th April 2010, 17:59   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I still dont understand why it's always petrol and Diesel. Why do Manufacturers dont give dedicated CNG/LPG vehicles? They will be cheaper to own and run and good for the environment too.
Ya +1 , I think now car manufacturers should come up with at least option-packs for LPG/CNG kit for its prospective customers. I donít feel comfortable fitting a popular gas kits from the market , moreover it voids the warranty of the vehicle + additional headache of endorsing the RC-Book. In the NCR region CNG is widely available and it is dirt cheap to run compared to other fuels like diesel /petrol. Nowadays LPG is also available in most parts of the country, hence a duel fuel option car is a real good option for cost conscious & environmentally friendly Janta

Manufacturers should give the customers a environmentally friendly read cheaper running option so that every one can contribute to a better tomorrow and reduce our national dependence on OIL.
Old 15th April 2010, 14:00   #202
mkh
Senior - BHPian

For Diesel cars, even the servicing costs are almost double than that for petrol, is it not? I got to know for Hyundai at least, i20 petrol servicing will be 2000 per months, but for diesel its about 4200. If that is the case, should that also not be accounted for when deciding to buy a diesel? Maybe this has been discussed, could not locate in the pages i saw in this thread.
Old 27th May 2010, 13:17   #203
BHPian

Great thread!! Quite an old topic with excellent new views... Petrol or Diesel is a question most of us ruminate prior to getting a car; and may be even after owning one...

I am considering the Figo currently. A few more things like turbo diesel without the turbo lag, a bigger heart (1.4L) and higher low end torque are a few things that attracts me to the diesel unit.

I heard from a friend of mine that the subsidies on Diesel may not last forever. Does anyone have any info on whether there are plans to rationalise fuel prices?? Its obvious that the truckers would go on a majo strike/ fast if it happens... but will it happen?
Old 27th May 2010, 13:29   #204
BHPian

This is an awesome calculator, samsan.

Also, it is pretty interesting to see what the results are when the petrol car in question (City) is more expensive than the diesel car in question (Linea MJD E+)

I have put together another fair bit of comparison in the Vehicle total cost of ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...et-sedans.html
Old 27th May 2010, 14:08   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishF1 View Post
I heard from a friend of mine that the subsidies on Diesel may not last forever. Does anyone have any info on whether there are plans to rationalise fuel prices?? Its obvious that the truckers would go on a majo strike/ fast if it happens... but will it happen?
Even I have heard the same and have watched a debate on this topic on a TV news channel. In that it was mentioned that government is in the initial stages of the thought process for removing the subsidies from diesel fuel and that too only for privately owned/operated vehicles.

So, diesel car owners will not have the commercial vehicle owners to back up their cause, if anything like this ever happens.

But, this will be a very bold political decision to take and only time will tell if any ruling party is ready to risk a major portion of their votes, for this.

Last edited by SilkDrive : 27th May 2010 at 14:10.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:54   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi Guys,

The debate between petrol and diesel cars will keep on going as to which suits best to one's needs. Diesel is cheaper and returns better mileage, it sure makes sense to go for one if the running is very high, like those taxis and cabs. Manufacturers charge the upfront cost of almost 80 to 90k difference because diesel engines are expensive to manufacture and also these greedy manufacturers want to make some more margin by selling engines which are more in demand. But whats the real financial picture so lets look at it.

Attached excel gives a comparision of the Petrol vs Diesel.
Salient points
Enjoy the financial analysis and choose the one which suits you best.
Excellent post samsan02. Very much appreciated. Can some1 feed values for Swift Vxi ABS & Swift Vdi ABS ? I basically need "Diesel car cost per service, Petrol car cost per service, extra maintenance cost for both" values.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:24   #207
Senior - BHPian

Even if Petrol and Diesel are priced equally, from a pure FE point of view a Diesel car will be better as it is more efficient wrt energy usage. And a lot more rugged.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:16   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
For Diesel cars, even the servicing costs are almost double than that for petrol, is it not? I got to know for Hyundai at least, i20 petrol servicing will be 2000 per months, but for diesel its about 4200. If that is the case, should that also not be accounted for when deciding to buy a diesel? Maybe this has been discussed, could not locate in the pages i saw in this thread.
Per month? Am not sure how many will have clocked 10,000 KM every month to send it in for service. A rough estimate of Diesel maintenance - from my Getz CRDi, manufacturer recommended interval is 10,000 KM.
Engine oil - 1300 (~5.3 liters)
Air Filter - 250
Oil Filter - 300
Fuel Filter - 1250

For a 1.3 petrol, the engine oil should cost less (3.3 liters) and fuel filter should be cheap - about 300 bucks. This works out to about Rs. 1000 saving in maintenance cost per 10,000 KM. This is easily offset by the difference in fuel cost, and the mileage per liter.

By the way, I did not buy a Diesel because it is economical. I bought my car purely for the fun-to-drive factor!
Old 27th May 2010, 17:42   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

btw - MJD fuel filter is a tad costlier though you're spot on with the math otherwise!

Wish i could say that the MJD is fun to drive across the band - its good only in 80-120 sweet spot
Old 27th May 2010, 20:56   #210
Senior - BHPian

MJD should actually be cheaper than the Getz / Verna CRDi combo - what with the volume of the Fiat mill India is seeing!! And the prob with the MJD is the turbo lag - that too its a FGT. Answer: Pete's But hey, the car handles beautifully - at least compared to my Hyundai..!
Closed Thread