Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th February 2008, 15:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

speaking of which, time to end this thread here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post398485 (Maruti Swift diesel @ Rs 4.68 lakh) has all the calculations the original poster never considered.

With all due respect, the TRUTH, is there, not in this thread. Appreciate your thoughts anyways.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Diesels hold their resale value better than petrols.
Agreed. I will include that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
It might make sense to compare fuel saving vs. extra EMI as a thumb rule. on that metric, you'll find it makes sense even for slightly lower running

I dont think the Indica vs Wagon R resale comparison is fair considering MUL cars in general have much better resale value than Tata cars. You could look at the resale on the old Zen Diesels - I believe they sell quite well in the used car market.
Yes, it has to be apple vs apple. Same model Petrol vs Diesel. Now will I get a resale value higher by 80k?

Tried to get answer - again from carwale. Used the car valuation tool.

Tried Maruti Swift. Unfortunately, it doesnt show the VDi. So changed to Tata Indigo.
A 2007 GLX BS III with 30,000 km would get 3.9 lac.
2007 LX Dicor BS III would get 4.5 lac. Still decent difference.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
This is bound to happen since the diesel variant of the same manufacturer is priced higher than petrol during initial purchase . But is you go to sell a 2 year old Indica DLS(3.65 L ex showroom) and a wagon R LXI (3.7 Ex-showroom), the wagon R will fetch at least 20 k more than the Indica if not more. I speak from personal experience.
It is foolhardy to compare resale value of a tata car with a maruti. Maruti will always fetch a better resale. Please compare Swift D v/s Swift P or Indica DLS v/s indica P. Then obviously diesel will hold better resale than petrol.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
It is foolhardy to compare resale value of a tata car with a maruti. Maruti will always fetch a better resale. Please compare Swift D v/s Swift P or Indica DLS v/s indica P. Then obviously diesel will hold better resale than petrol.
For sure. Tata has quality issues with Indica. Maruti has much better quality control from design to the finished product.
Old 10th February 2008, 15:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Dhruva: Its calcualtions are quite simple. If you take Diesel and drive more, the per km cost will be down definately. The modern CRDI engines are much more refined and can deliver better in a long run. When you compare to the conterparts in Petrol, the average running cost will be more espically fuel cost as the cost of petrol is high. Hence it is better if your runing is more, you opt for Diesel.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Diesel fan. If you read my post correctly, i have specified that since the initial cost of a diesel car is more than petrol, the resale will also be higher. OK Comparing Tata with Maruti might not be an apple to apple comparison. But In your Swift example, the Swift D costs 75k more than the petrol sibling. I think its not fair to compare resale value of both cars. Or for that matter Xeta and Diesel; Indica. Its priced 65k apart. Diesel is bound to have better resale value because it costs more.

Last edited by hrman : 10th February 2008 at 16:21.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi Diesel fan. If you read my post correctly, i have specified that since the initial cost of a diesel car is more than petrol, the resale will also be higher.
the fair way to do it would be to compare resale value/price when new.
Old 10th February 2008, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
the fair way to do it would be to compare resale value/price when new.
I agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
speaking of which, time to end this thread here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post398485 (Maruti Swift diesel @ Rs 4.68 lakh) has all the calculations the original poster never considered.

With all due respect, the TRUTH, is there, not in this thread. Appreciate your thoughts anyways.
Wow. Great analysis by the member. Quite comprehensive and conclusive.. Kudos!!
Old 15th February 2008, 23:51   #24
BHPian

Whatever money you are planning to spend on a car, see if there is a diesel alternative which is available at around the same price. If yes, then you have immediate savings in terms of fuel cost (no matter how much you drive / day). As you will pay the same EMI for your loan and diesel cars today are comparable to petrol interms of maintenance and driveability.
Old 16th February 2008, 21:40   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Whatever money you are planning to spend on a car, see if there is a diesel alternative which is available at around the same price. If yes, then you have immediate savings in terms of fuel cost (no matter how much you drive / day). As you will pay the same EMI for your loan and diesel cars today are comparable to petrol interms of maintenance and driveability.
good point of view but not necessarily the complete view while buying a car..
because u dont buy a car ONLY based on what fuel it runs on...there are lot of other things u look for in a car...

so if lets say, i like a petrol car at the 5lakh price and there is another car which runs on diesel priced at 5lakh in all probability it may not have all the features that the petrol one has....
Old 16th February 2008, 23:55   #26
BHPian

I agree that you might not get all feature... but if the features are something you can live with/without then you should consider the diesel!
Old 18th February 2008, 17:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if we compare a Swift D v/s Swift P, Petrol is not having a pathetic resale value !
Old 18th February 2008, 17:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Even if we compare a Swift D v/s Swift P, Petrol is not having a pathetic resale value !
That depends on which part of the country you are in. In Punjab for example, stock Swift petrol's have a pretty poor resale - although availability is limited as the petrol didn't sell too well to begin with.
Old 18th February 2008, 23:04   #29
BHPian

The biggest cost saving with Diesel engine is fuel cost and milage. Recently I covered around 1470 KM's (735 one way) in my Logan 1.5 DLS (Diesel) on NH2 and what I spent on Diesel is give below:

Distance: 1470 KM
Average Speed: 66 KMPH
Fuel Consumed: 77.4 ltr
Fuel Cost: Rs. 2476.8 (@32)
Average: 19 kmpl

Expected same if I had petrol Logan:

Distance: 1470 KM
Average Speed: 66 KMPH
Fuel Consumed: 98 ltr
Fuel Cost: Rs. 4606 (@47)
Average: 15 kmpl
Old 19th February 2008, 15:13   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The biggest cost saving with Diesel engine is fuel cost and milage.
Interesting that you mention both. Most people think that the running costs are lower only due to the lower cost of diesel. Incorrect since a diesel engine (similar size and application) is also more fuel efficient. So its a double gain!
Closed Thread