Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th February 2009, 19:28   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
But once car completes 4 years or 1 lac kilometers Petrol ones fetch better value
In Indian conditions a cars resale value after crossing 1 lac kms is less than 25% of the original value so no point of considering resale value if it crosses 1 lac kms.

If you considering resale, best thing is to sell the car before 60K. In that case any diesel car will fetch better value that an equally priced petrol car.
Old 12th February 2009, 19:52   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
In Indian conditions a cars resale value after crossing 1 lac kms is less than 25% of the original value so no point of considering resale value if it crosses 1 lac kms.

If you considering resale, best thing is to sell the car before 60K. In that case any diesel car will fetch better value that an equally priced petrol car.
Even while selling at 60K odometer reading, Diesel car can be sold by 1lac extra.
This is very much applicable from Palio 1.2mjd, Indica to Verna & Ford Fiesta
Old 12th February 2009, 20:18   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Also 5 years downtheline cost of Petrol and Diesel would be on similar pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy View Post
This is the biggest threat for Diesel owners.
Already we can see it.
Thats a reduction of 19% on petrol but only a meagre 10% on diesel.
15 years ago, diesel cost about 45% of petrol. Today, diesel costs about 76% of petrol. Even before the two recent price cuts, diesel cost about 70% the price of petrol. That itself has shaved off all the financial advantage that diesel offered.
Old 12th February 2009, 21:45   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
15 years ago, diesel cost about 45% of petrol. Today, diesel costs about 76% of petrol.
That's an interesting piece of information. Yep the divide between petrol and diesel is reducing. And mostly manufacturers charging a 1L premium between petrol & diesel models is milking the diesel bandwagon dry.
Old 12th February 2009, 22:24   #95
BHPian

As my budget was limited to 4.5L narrowed down to Wagon-R DUO and Indica DLG model. If I remember correctly the price difference between the cars was around 5K. Finally decided to go for Indica as LPG availability is limited once you step out of Bangalore. I know maruthi vehicles are better to drive and maintenance free still went ahead with Indica.
As of now completed 26K Kms for the past 12 months. As someone mentioned correctly having diesel car tempts to drive more. I do not think I would have used the car so much if it was petrol car.
Sometimes it even makes sense to use the car instead of my Honda Activa(Gives me around 30 Kms/L) as it more safer and more convenient if traveling with my wife and kid.
On the negative side of having Indica is you have will have some small niggling issues and you will need put some effort to drive. But I think I can leave with it.
But I am happier at least at Gas station as 1000 bucks will have my tank full and serves me for week of travel.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

srinivas, I was in those very same shoes.

I see that we're still wearing the same
Old 15th June 2009, 00:17   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
.... But I think I can leave with it.....
While others leave it, Tata owners live with it
Old 27th July 2009, 09:27   #98
Senior - BHPian

I found a good article in Hindu Business line -

The Hindu Business Line : Game for a diesel drive?

I agree for the most of what has been said there but the maintenance cost that has been quoted there is highly optimistic for both petrol and diesel. It is more like 8000 Rs. for Diesel and 5000 Rs. for Petrol cars from year 2 onwards. Maintenance includes changing any worn out parts like Tyres, brake pads, clutch etc.

Another important note here is bigger the car faster the payback period.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:23   #99
BHPian

I do about 2200km a month so a DDIS would have been the thing for me. However, all financial considerations went out of the window when the 'minimum 6 months, saar' waiting period bomb dropped.
So, I had a brand new Swift Vxi in less than a week. Perhaps patience would have paid off, but I cant say that I regret my decision.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:38   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I found a good article in Hindu Business line -

The Hindu Business Line : Game for a diesel drive?

I agree for the most of what has been said there but the maintenance cost that has been quoted there is highly optimistic for both petrol and diesel. It is more like 8000 Rs. for Diesel and 5000 Rs. for Petrol cars from year 2 onwards. Maintenance includes changing any worn out parts like Tyres, brake pads, clutch etc.

Another important note here is bigger the car faster the payback period.
I'm not sure I agree that a diesel car gets 50% more mileage than a petrol car. I know it will differ by variant but for the Linea I think the diesel gets approximately 25% more than the petrol.
Old 27th July 2009, 12:14   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
I'm not sure I agree that a diesel car gets 50% more mileage than a petrol car. I know it will differ by variant but for the Linea I think the diesel gets approximately 25% more than the petrol.
Swift, Palio, Indica gives mileage of 50% more in Diesel version than in the petrol version (Please go through the Fuel efficiency thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fficiency.html (What is your Actual Fuel Efficiency?) ). Bigger cars give better efficiency on Diesel. For example Safari gives 6 kmpl for petrol while gives over 10 for Diesel. I have driven Santro and never got above 14 kmpl while my swift D (A bigger heavier car than santro) gives me 21 -22 at times. I drive my Swift much more aggressively compared to my drive on Santro.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:31   #102
BHPian

Thanks for the info! For the Linea I get ~ 13 KMPL in the city with the diesel. From posts on this forum I gather that the petrol gets ~ 10 KMPL in the city. Might be that the Linea is the exception to the rule however.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsPG View Post
Thanks for the info! For the Linea I get ~ 13 KMPL in the city with the diesel. From posts on this forum I gather that the petrol gets ~ 10 KMPL in the city. Might be that the Linea is the exception to the rule however.
True. But you should compare your driving on two cars one diesel and one petrol to compare accurately. Anyways Linea D giving 13 KMPL is on a lower side.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:51   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
As someone mentioned correctly having diesel car tempts to drive more. I do not think I would have used the car so much if it was petrol car.
I think this is one practical benefit of owning a diesel car that is overlooked by most people who tire their heads off doing the math and searching for the break even point. The type of car you have - petrol or diesel - will influence your driving decisions.

Let's say a paisa-conscious person makes a choice between the diesel and petrol variants, based on financial calculations. One of the following, depending on his decision, is likely to happen:

1) If he bought the petrol car:

The more he drives, the less he will be able to justify his choice. The less he drives the better he feels about his decision. Also, long trips will be more expensive and frequently decided against.

2) If he bought the diesel car:

The more he drives, the more he will be able to justify his choice. The more he drives the better he feels about his decision. His driving decisions are often more positive, as long trips are easier on the pocket.

So if you are consciuos about spending the buck, irrespective of what math you did before you bought your car, your final choice will influence your future driving decisions.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
I think this is one practical benefit of owning a diesel car that is overlooked by most people who tire their heads off doing the math and searching for the break even point. The type of car you have - petrol or diesel - will influence your driving decisions.

Let's say a paisa-conscious person makes a choice between the diesel and petrol variants, based on financial calculations. One of the following, depending on his decision, is likely to happen:

1) If he bought the petrol car:

The more he drives, the less he will be able to justify his choice. The less he drives the better he feels about his decision. Also, long trips will be more expensive and frequently decided against.

2) If he bought the diesel car:

The more he drives, the more he will be able to justify his choice. The more he drives the better he feels about his decision. His driving decisions are often more positive, as long trips are easier on the pocket.

So if you are consciuos about spending the buck, irrespective of what math you did before you bought your car, your final choice will influence your future driving decisions.
This may be true in boarder line cases but if you are driving over 60 km every day for commuting to work. Irrespective of long drives Diesel is the right choice.
Closed Thread