Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2008, 18:23   #361
BHPian

Can anyone compare the LxBxH of both Logan and Dezire, thks in advance.
Old 19th March 2008, 18:23   #362
BHPian

Disgusting. Is this called automotive designing? Ridiculous. But obviously, since it's a Maruti, it would sell ! And we would soon get used to it. And the design would no longer be absurd.
The yuck designers should rather quit or go back to school.
Old 19th March 2008, 18:30   #363
Senior - BHPian

SCORP,i would love the dzire than a logan any day.I dont mean to be rude on logan but i prefer the rounded edges of dzire than the boxy design of logan.The rear space of the dzire is good.I have a feeling that the rear incline is a bit more than the swift.
ram
Old 19th March 2008, 18:31   #364
BHPian

Does the Petrol have M Series engine or G series engine
Old 19th March 2008, 18:38   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
And we would soon get used to it. And the design would no longer be absurd.
The yuck designers should rather quit or go back to school.
You have put it correctly. That's exactly what has been happening in India. In terms of drive, we will have a better perspective once someone test drives it.
I am guessing that at 1300 cc, the petrol Dzire might be underpowered. I hope that Maruti has not forgotten that the Dzire will have to meet the standards in terms of power and pickup; set by the old esteem.
Old 19th March 2008, 18:43   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
SCORP,i would love the dzire than a logan any day.I dont mean to be rude on logan but i prefer the rounded edges of dzire than the boxy design of logan.The rear space of the dzire is good.I have a feeling that the rear incline is a bit more than the swift.
ram
Agreed. Even I wouldn't prefer a Logan ever. It's a matchbox design. But just look at the Dzires' rear view. They have made a sedan out of a hatchback, but without any application. With the current design of Swift - swooping downwards from the front, a back like that is a complete mess. So we get 2 swoops, making it a riot to understand which side is the front! The side view thus becomes a complete disaster.
I've never been this vocal about bad designs. But this one is beyond any comprehension.

Disclaimer - All this is my personal grudge

Last edited by scorp 1 : 19th March 2008 at 18:45.
Old 19th March 2008, 19:02   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp 1 View Post
Agreed. Even I wouldn't prefer a Logan ever. It's a matchbox design. But just look at the Dzires' rear view. They have made a sedan out of a hatchback, but without any application. With the current design of Swift - swooping downwards from the front, a back like that is a complete mess. So we get 2 swoops, making it a riot to understand which side is the front! The side view thus becomes a complete disaster.
Don't you think you should wait to see the car in person before writing it off completely? IMO, the looks aren't exciting, but from whatever that has been seen till now, it looks pretty alright. Quite honestly, I find this car better looking than many which are quite common on our roads (NHC, Indigo).
Old 19th March 2008, 21:37   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Companies should really really stop making sedans out of hatches. It was alright when Suzuki added a bum to the then "Swift" and sold it as the Esteem in India. There are standards now. And cars are getting uglier by the day.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:17   #369

Thumbs up iitís the only one

hi.. am no expert by unit of measurement... and just by what I read, think this is the only one that fits my requirement. Can't see any other sedan matching to the build quality (v/s indigo), features, price.

Think if the pricing is as what its being rumored to be.. about 75 k more than the swift.. I would think its terrific value with no other competition.

It can do what the swift did to the hatchback category.

Cheers.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:35   #370
Senior - BHPian

Dzire trailer:

Last edited by abhibh : 19th March 2008 at 23:50.
Old 19th March 2008, 23:35   #371
Senior - BHPian

@ ram, when can we see it here and what about the TD cars?? When will they arrive??
Old 20th March 2008, 00:00   #372
BHPian

They claim to have spent 30crore in development of Dzire. Just wondering where does 30crore shows in design stuff? All components are taken from swift and Sx4. Infact Dilip Chabaria turned out a class Amberiod for just 4 crores!!! Hope the money spent shows atleast in interiors
Old 20th March 2008, 00:10   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
They claim to have spent 30crore in development of Dzire. Just wondering where does 30crore shows in design stuff? All components are taken from swift and Sx4. Infact Dilip Chabaria turned out a class Amberiod for just 4 crores!!! Hope the money spent shows atleast in interiors

Engineering for mass produced changes to a mass production car is different from a one-off product creation. In the one-off case, the whole cost of the project is applied to the product, the creater does not have to bother about mass producability of components. Where as for mass production cases, the cost is distributed across each example created.

Moreover its not just engineering alone, the vendors have to gear up for producing the new components, like decklids, the tail lamps. In essence this looks to have been achieved at a pretty low price.

Coming to the benefit of component sharing (say between SX4 and this), it drives down the price of each individual example, but to accomodate the common part more is spent on engineering.

If Maruti has done this, in-house in India, it is a really commendable job, hope to see more from them (infact the A-star is already a testimony of things to come)
Old 20th March 2008, 00:21   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Engineering for mass produced changes to a mass production car is different from a one-off product creation. In the one-off case, the whole cost of the project is applied to the product, the creater does not have to bother about mass producability of components. Where as for mass production cases, the cost is distributed across each example created.

Moreover its not just engineering alone, the vendors have to gear up for producing the new components, like decklids, the tail lamps. In essence this looks to have been achieved at a pretty low price.

Coming to the benefit of component sharing (say between SX4 and this), it drives down the price of each individual example, but to accomodate the common part more is spent on engineering.

If Maruti has done this, in-house in India, it is a really commendable job, hope to see more from them (infact the A-star is already a testimony of things to come)
I agree with you and am not criticising Suzuki. But the fact that they are just making a sedan out of already running swift model. With lots of engineering and components sharing in between. But somehow I feel they could have attained somewhat better results with more design change to give it complete new look. Anways, no matter whatever they've produced will be out of shelf on day one its for sure. Because its brand MarutiSuzuki!! The trustable
Old 20th March 2008, 00:59   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
I agree with you and am not criticising Suzuki. But the fact that they are just making a sedan out of already running swift model. With lots of engineering and components sharing in between. But somehow I feel they could have attained somewhat better results with more design change to give it complete new look. Anways, no matter whatever they've produced will be out of shelf on day one its for sure. Because its brand MarutiSuzuki!! The trustable
Yes, my response was to your question on the cost. The resultant product might not be aesthetically pleasing to all. However, looking at the order of the day, it doen't turn out to be an eyesore some very successful cars are.

I too think there is only one thing amiss, if I were to nitpick. The slope of the window-top line (not roofline), that actually does not gel with the sedan's lines. Even the surround cockpit look (accentuated by the dark A-pillar) is pretty unconventional for a sedan.

Last edited by 1100D : 20th March 2008 at 01:03.
Closed Thread