Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 12:54   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

oh is it? I hadn't seen the October ACI, yet.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 13:02   #62
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
Does this mean that Honda expects the City to be the high volume selling car rather than Jazz?
I think yes.
Jazz will have the same positioning problem Fusion or Fabia has. Most people either look for a typical (economical) hatchback or rather go for a sedan if they can afford to spend a kind of price these very large hatches demand.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:19   #63
RGP
BHPian
 
RGP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 60
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think yes.
Jazz will have the same positioning problem Fusion or Fabia has. Most people either look for a typical (economical) hatchback or rather go for a sedan if they can afford to spend a kind of price these very large hatches demand.
That makes sense... but if true, then Honda's decision to bring the Jazz with the 1.2 engine does not.
If they are looking at a niche in the market I guess it should be toward the higher end rather than the lower (... unless they plan to beat the Alto on fuel economy )
I can see a market for a hot hatch with superior performance but not one with a sluggish engine giving good FE. (I may be wrong - any data on how well the low-end Fabia is doing in the market?)
RGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 14:38   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 388
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I think yes.
Jazz will have the same positioning problem Fusion or Fabia has. Most people either look for a typical (economical) hatchback or rather go for a sedan if they can afford to spend a kind of price these very large hatches demand.
A quick look at the sales chart reveals that,currently, the market for the entire B2 segment(ie Swift,Fabia,Getz etc) size is less than the C Sedan(Fiesta,Verna,Cityetc) or even the MUV(Innova,Scorpio) segment. In the Indian car hierarchy, size matters and the sedans rule over the hatches.
Maybe the i20 & the Jazz will create more buyers and expand this segment, but that remains to be seen.

The 1.2 iVTEC seems well poised here. But if it is overpriced, the Jazz will go the Fabia/Fusion way for sure.
sridharps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 15:13   #65
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
A quick look at the sales chart reveals that,currently, the market for the entire B2 segment(ie Swift,Fabia,Getz etc) size is less than the C Sedan(Fiesta,Verna,Cityetc) or even the MUV(Innova,Scorpio) segment. In the Indian car hierarchy, size matters and the sedans rule over the hatches.
Maybe the i20 & the Jazz will create more buyers and expand this segment, but that remains to be seen.

The 1.2 iVTEC seems well poised here. But if it is overpriced, the Jazz will go the Fabia/Fusion way for sure.
Wait & watch buddy. Who would have spend 5 lacs + for a hatchback 5 years back?? Now Getz/ Swift and others have changed the mindsets of most buyers. Obviously the Indian market will take sometime to shell out more than 6 lacs for a hatchback but yes there are quite some buyers out there. For a diesel/petrol hatchback with all bells and whistles will be preferred to a base version of a sedan. Honda would have learnt they mistakes Skoda made in pricing. But lets wait & watch how Jazz is priced.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 15:40   #66
Senior - BHPian
 
Fountainheader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Wait & watch buddy. Who would have spend 5 lacs + for a hatchback 5 years back?? Now Getz/ Swift and others have changed the mindsets of most buyers. Obviously the Indian market will take sometime to shell out more than 6 lacs for a hatchback but yes there are quite some buyers out there. For a diesel/petrol hatchback with all bells and whistles will be preferred to a base version of a sedan. Honda would have learnt they mistakes Skoda made in pricing. But lets wait & watch how Jazz is priced.
5 years back, did we even have so many options ?

India, unlike western countries, is a very "family cultured" country. Too many members and equal no. of luggages, means we need more space. So for someone who has 7L to spend, would rather go for Fiesta/Aveo rather than Fabia. IMHO!
Fountainheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 15:47   #67
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
5 years back, did we even have so many options ?

India, unlike western countries, is a very "family cultured" country. Too many members and equal no. of luggages, means we need more space. So for someone who has 7L to spend, would rather go for Fiesta/Aveo rather than Fabia. IMHO!
Arey ! Lets not go too deep ! I just said we will take time to accept 6 lacs + hatchback & yeah 5 years back not many manufacturers had the guts to launch a 5 lacs + hatchback. Please get my point what i meant :
Atleast 90 % buyers will go for a sedan at that price and rest would give a top end hatchback a thought. Those buyers would dont do much outings / find tough to park sedans on Indian roads would go for a hatchback with 6lac + price.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 17:23   #68
BHPian
 
sathyaprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 446
Thanked: 44 Times
Smile Honda Jazz to be presented by june of next year

Honda has officialy released the photos of Jazz to be released soon courtesy WHEELS-THE HINDU on 1/10

The jazz may come with two options, a 1.2 litre iVTEC producing 90 bhp(exactly 1198cc for tax cut) and another 1.4 litre iVTEC producing 100bhp.

Transmission options include a 5 speed manual and a 6 speed semi-automatic called iSHIFT which also gives the driver an option of using as fully automatic box

Honda claims a mileage of 20kpl under normal condition, and a localisation of 76% at the time of launch.
sathyaprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 17:29   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
abhinav.gupta88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Delhi , India
Posts: 4,087
Thanked: 308 Times
Default

20kpl sounds too much
i guess it will give somewhere around 15 to the maximum!

The car will surely hit sales of Fabia ( If any ) and may creep into the Swift Sales a bit.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 17:44   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 58
Thanked: 47 Times
Default

I've seen the Jazz in a Honda showroom for a short period. In red color. It was really tempting - mind you, I had just bought a Civic and my bro had bought a City, and this Jazz in red looked so premium, so snazzy - and its the size of a ZXi City from the outside - I was seriously tempted.

Unlike the Fabia, I think the Jazz has the potential to make people reconsider their previous ideas about a hatch. It screams quality. The photos I saw afterwards dont do justice to it - especially in red
lawdgawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 17:47   #71
Senior - BHPian
 
snaronikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,845
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

There is hardly any difference in the 1.2L and 1.4L. It is only 10 bhp is the difference.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 18:01   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
There is hardly any difference in the 1.2L and 1.4L. It is only 10 bhp is the difference.
Bigger engines are known to have torque advantage which improves the drivability
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 18:24   #73
BHPian
 
lalitk25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bavaria Germany
Posts: 190
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I think 1.2L engine would be the old L series iDis engine with around 70 BHP which would be more fuel efficient and 1.4 or 1.5 can be iVtec.
lalitk25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 18:33   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
So for someone who has 7L to spend, would rather go for Fiesta/Aveo rather than Fabia. IMHO!
But with Jazz things will be slightly different. It will have a luggage space equal to many small sedans and addtional flexibility of folding seats. But still majority of people are likely to consider a 3 box sedan over a large hatch, even if the later offers better value.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008, 19:04   #75
BHPian
 
quicksilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 455
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
5 years back, did we even have so many options ?

India, unlike western countries, is a very "family cultured" country. Too many members and equal no. of luggages, means we need more space. So for someone who has 7L to spend, would rather go for Fiesta/Aveo rather than Fabia. IMHO!
Just a different point of view here, having gone all the way from a small car to a full size luxury sedan (by Indian Standards), I have realised that size is NOT all that matters. Blame it on the traffic and the congestion these days, I find it much easier to drive a smaller car in the City.

To me the Jazz/fit sounds like an ideal City car since it is small, reliable (going by Honda heritage) and Fuel efficient. I would take a Honda 1.2L engine any day over a Maruti/Suzuki 1.3L.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latin NCAP - 4 stars for Ford Ka, 5 stars for VW Vento, Honda City, Fit / Jazz and HR-V JonSnow The Indian Car Scene 14 13th December 2017 08:01
Honda Fit (jazz) Shuttle station wagon sidindica The International Automotive Scene 23 13th August 2015 19:55
Honda Fit (Jazz in India) gets a fit-ting facelift sidindica The International Automotive Scene 16 17th August 2011 10:03
Honda Fit a.k.a Jazz BMW Super-Cars & Imports in India 10 1st November 2006 19:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks